Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-01-2008, 08:09 PM

Fingal mounting Breagh

They both seem as bad as each other but it's happening more and more. It seems to start with a game of rough and tumble but once Fingal gets the glazed look and the ears go up there's no stopping the little sod.

It's a bit hit and miss and he can have her by the back leg, her side, her head before getting it right. If he's sniffing around her bits she seems happy to 'present' herself.

All I can do is drag him away and wait till they both calm down.

He often mounts Skye (also male) but that's more a dominance thing. With Breagh he's definately aroused and excited.

Fingal is 'entire' by the way but Breagh (who'll be 1 on Wednesday) was speyed at 6 months.

Might sound a daft question but is this normal and is there anything I should be worried about ?
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Hi there,

I am a 10 yr old English Setter and I live in a mixed group of male and female setters. We all mount each other as a method of putting the other dog in his place - yes - we girls do this to the boys as well..

However, you think this is a sex thing ?

Is it possible that when Breagh was spayed, the vet left some tiny part of her reproductive system behind and she is giving off an interesting aroma as if she is in season ? Alternatively, our 2 boys were frantic for poor Sapphire when she had an anal gland infection - perhaps you could get this checked out.

I am worried that should they accidentally 'mate' that they could both get seriously injured especially if you werent there. If it isnt an infection, perhaps you should consider getting Fingal castrated.

Hope this helps

Thalice-Malice
The know-all setter
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Castration isnt the instant problem solver it is assumed to be.Mine is a jaffa,but still takes more than a passing intrest in a bitch in season.Castration removes the dynamics,but not the instinct.It may calm him down a bit,but not sure whether it would stop all together though.

Other thing i suggest is when he gets more & more excited-clip him on a lead,remove him to another room and calm him down.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Could be excitement but I am having the same problem with Finn at the moment due to Star's anal gland abcess He has never even attempted it before now
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-01-2008, 04:30 PM
I would say an excitement thing, as Star when he has finished playing of eating a meal he will roll all the blankets from the dog beds up and go to town on them if the dogs are not near, though he does prefer the blankets
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Phil, given that Fudge was also mounting her a lot last week I would rule out the imcomplete spey....Maybe he is just reasserting himself having had another (speyed) bitch in the house?
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Mine often do it and they are speyed bitches

Full anal glands quite often will excite a male dog goodness knows why

Jeanette
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Charlie (neutered) is always humping Maddy (spayed) most fequently when playing together. Maddy then turns around and floors him and once he is down, Dusty (entire) humps Charlies head, leg, tail, whatever!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Castration isnt the instant problem solver it is assumed to be.Mine is a jaffa,but still takes more than a passing intrest in a bitch in season.Castration removes the dynamics,but not the instinct.It may calm him down a bit,but not sure whether it would stop all together though.

Other thing i suggest is when he gets more & more excited-clip him on a lead,remove him to another room and calm him down.
Castration actually made Charlie worse, he hardly ever used to hump beforehand. He has no idea that he has no plums and still cleans his 'sad sack' with pride!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Cheers guys. Breagh's anal glands seem fine (we're used to that with Fingal). He's been a bit better better today - I think he just gets over excited when he plays with her. If anything he's done it more since Breagh has become a bit bigger and stronger in the play fight. Just for now I'll continue to pop her in the ctare when we go out.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >