View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 06:14 PM
I agree with the others and would not get two siblings for the reasons already stated.

Ironically, I met a guy with two young female Cocker puppies on our walk earlier today. Both the puppies were very nervous and scatty; you could see that they were both bouncing off each others fear. I felt a bit sorry for the guy actually as I expect having two scatty siblings is going to be a major handful.

I would definitely just get the one pup. The pup will be fine on your days at work provided you have suitable arrangements in place; someone to either look after her, or come in multiple times a day for toileting/feeding/play.
Toty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2010, 06:17 PM
I hear what you are saying it may be possible to take her to work one or two days , but a growing pup will be hard work, I feel I am going in circles and will end up without a pup at all
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 06:54 PM
How many hours are you out of the house when you are working?

As Labradork has said your pup should be fine so long as you make provision for someone to come in and let her out for a play and to the toilet (if you are out all day) and also leave her with things to keep her occupied, such as a stuffed kong. It is also a good idea to mentally tire her before you leave for work, so good play sessions and get her using her brain, as obviously you can't do rigorous exercise with her until she has matured.

Out of interest, have you met your pup yet? Is she a confident, outgoing pup?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Sorry, I did also mean to say that yes, raising a pup IS hard work - but so rewarding and most definitely worth it

If you are concerned about the work involved, have you considered an older rescue cocker spaniel?
Toty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2010, 06:59 PM
I actually live out in the sticks in Scotland , and do not have neighbours etc, though I think I could set up play things 'other furry companions' and as my hotel owners have a two cocker dogs a working friendship might just be on the cards. the pup was only 7 weeks old and after a busy morning was quite sleepy when I met her though she did climb up my chest and bite my chin...definately love at first sight
gyalis_star
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-05-2010, 07:00 PM
I've got 2 dogs from the same litter 2 sisters I keep 1 and my cousin keeps the other 4 the 1st 3 months cookie stayed with my aunt till I was completly ready to bring my pup home and yea some times they have there tiffs but I think that's just family in general the same way we may argue with our brothers or sisters I think the only problem you may have is training 2 pups but if u do have the time to do that they should realise they are 1 family and be fine I think cookie and coco only argue now because they were seperated and have to show each other who's boss when they meet up again but if they were togeather daily and shown that that behaviour was unacceptable it would not continue to go on
Toty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Just when I contact the breeder and say I think I had better just have one pup someone comes up with something positive, not sure WHAT to do!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I should have said nothing and waited to see what happened
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Toty View Post
Thanks for the reply..I guess the answeris obvious, though I have had some positive comments elsewhere such as letting my husband train one seperately and 'show who is boss' my mother and daughter dogs did fight some times always ovwr something I had dropped..would it be worse than that ...sorry but I am hoping something MIGHT be possible

o.k another question ...would a pup of 10 - 12 weeks be o.k alone 3 days a week with all poss conveniences including where nes rabbit companions albeit in cages, yes I am clutching at straws

Hi Toty, when you say three days a week, do you mean 9 - 5 or longer, or less?
Three full days alone for a puppy is a very long time, but maybe you have plans for someone to regularly call in?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 08:08 PM
How are you going to cope with the frequent feeds that a young puppy needs? Even with two of them they will still need frequent attention/feeding/trips out top garden etc

We have had siblings with no problems however I concur with the advice given - ask the breeder about your concerns and those expressed here. If your heart is set on two pups together ask the breeder about the possibility of a M/F combination, better to be safe than sorry. Its not impossible to have a successful and happy household with combination you want but you need to go into it with eyes wide open

Also two pups left alone for that length of time together will most defo bond together very firmly.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Toty View Post
Just when I contact the breeder and say I think I had better just have one pup someone comes up with something positive, not sure WHAT to do!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I should have said nothing and waited to see what happened
There will always be anedotal evidence...people can obviously only describe their own experiences.

Have a read of this article:

http://www.doglistener.co.uk/choosing/siblings.shtml
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >