Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 02:21 PM

Dog not eating properly

Hi all,
Lil will be 12 months old in 2 weeks time,the reason Im posting is that the last 2 days she has really been off her food,she ate a couple of mouthfulls in the morning yesterday and thats it,she hasnt touched her food today at all.
I think she may be coming into her second season,would this effect her appitite or should I take her to the vet?
Other than being a little lethargic she is ok in herself.
I cant remember if she went off her food last time she came into season
Thanks in advance for your help
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Hi Patterlands yes coming in season can put a bitch off eating..
Is she well in every other way, peeing and pooing ok, no discomfort anywhere when you run your hands over her, is she panting or drinking more?

I would present her food and if she doesn't eat it remove it after twenty minutes and wait until the next meal is due, try not to appear concerned or that can make things worse
If you are at all worried or she doesn't come in season shortly and still isn't eating best to let the vet have a look.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 02:49 PM
it could be shes coming into season,if shes ok in any other way,dont worry,some of mine go picky prior to a season and tired just keep a wee eye on her and if your really worried it does no harm to give the vet a wee ring,hope thats helps hun xx
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Thanks both,
Yes minihaha she is fine in herself,she isntdrinking any more than normal and doesntseem to be in any discomfort,just a little more tired than usual.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Having never had an entire bitch I don't know about seasons affecting them, but I wanted to say I hope she regains her appetite soon:smt002
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks Anne-Marie
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Ive just though she was only in season for the first time about 3 months ago,isnt it a little to soon to be coming into season again?
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

01-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Not neccessarily, some bitches take time to have regular seasons, and at the worst come into season fairly frequently, I had one who came in every four months as regular as clockwork. Just watch her carefully and give the vet a call if you are worried at all. Kath
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Hi Patterlands.
Jack was exactly the same yesterday and the day before. I put it down to the thunder and lightening we had. They can sense it from miles and miles away even if you cant hear it. He's not scared of it or anything, it was like the change in the atmosphere affected him. He was off his food and just really dull. Not ill or poorly just lazing about. Now as you have patties too you'll know what I mean when I say thats out of character.
Today he's fine and driving my old girl mad agaun. As we speak he's chasing an upside empty ice cream tub around the patio in case theres any left!! Occasional thunder and lightening my way please!!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Having never had an entire bitch I don't know about seasons affecting them, but I wanted to say I hope she regains her appetite soon:smt002
Yes me too, goodluck with her eating.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >