Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 07:03 AM

Lennon, the stroppy little beggar!

One of my neighbours (quite close) has a gorgeous (and huge) staffy called Jake.

Lennon hates him with a passion.

He also hated this persons previous staffy.

Yesterday evening we met.

I held Lennon on a very short lead and let them sniff.

Jake was happily wagging his tail. Lennon was straining to get closer, but I felt it was far too risky and held him just at nose level with Jake.

Lennon "went" for Jake and Jake (for the first time ever) retaliated.

They weren't close enough to each other to make any contact, so no harm was done, but I do think it's a real shame that Lennon has no friends because of this behaviour.

He's the same with every other single dog he's ever met, bar one.

Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 07:26 AM
That is a shame. But he's a Shiba and it is quite typical isn't it?

Malamutes are the same. Keiko doesn't greet nicely on the lead but is lovely off lead. She's also naughty with dogs when on her own territory, including the run at work. I call her Keiky no mates

A person at ringcraft brought a 4 month Shiba and it was rather aggressive with the other dogs there. Sadly the woman decided she had to teach it who's boss and did an alpha roll. She was then trying to be chatty but I couldn't bring myself to talk to her after that.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 07:29 AM
Hi, sorry to hear that Lennon's behaviour is stopping getting some mates - thank goodness for Bunnie. Purely out of interest did you just have Lennon with you, or Bunnie as well? When I'm walking both of mine together on leads (which is 95% of the time) one of mine is much more confident than the other when meeting other dogs. The less confident one will sometimes growl and snap at other dogs and I really think it is him protecting his mate. If I meet the same dogs when out with just one (the less confident) he will be as friendly as anything when meeting dogs .... really odd, and a pain in the neck.
My aunt has been staying for a couple of weeks (dog trainer) and she says that the dog will pick up on any anxious vibes that I may be sending out. In your circumstances I guess you know that Lennon isn't going to be too friendly and you therefore approached the staffy with Lennon on a short lead - no win situation really because by doing that you are letting Lennon know that there may be a problem as you approach the new dog, but on the other hand if you let Lennon just rush up he may go for the staffy.
How would Lennon be meeting a new dog off the lead?
I wish I could get into the heads of my two sometimes as it would make life a lot easier!!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Oh dear Lennon u norty boy. can't offer any help as my boy is equally bad mannered and friendless!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Lennon likes his own kind.....good job for Bunnies sake

Bruce chooses to be a billy no mates too, the girls greet other dogs, Bruce just walks over to the side and onwards. I don't know why he behaves that way, he just doesn't want to be bothered He's actually the same if I have him out alone, I could stop and have a chat to other doggy people and Bruce will wait over to one side away from their dog.

TBH I hate it when someone insists their dog says hello to him, Im NO!!! straight off as I know he will react if theirs growls/ sniffs/humps him

what can you do if they don't want mates

At least Lennon loves Bunnie
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 09:03 AM
I think we all have to remember, that dogs, like people are all different. Like us, some want to be the life and soul of the party while others prefer their own company.

My old lad was just the same. He was never aggressive, but just preferred the company of people rather than dogs. It never caused him or us any distress. If a rude dog did come over, he'd give 'em a stare and air snap and off they'd go.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
but I do think it's a real shame that Lennon has no friends because of this behaviour.

He's the same with every other single dog he's ever met, bar one.

Vicki, join the club, we're the same with our Baruska, now she's getting older she's a bit better but a few years ago she would have a 'go' at almost any dog, strangely there were a few she was OK with, the ones who were totally submissive and rolled over (literally) whatever breed, whatever size, she would want to 'dominate' them and that meant having a 'go' at them.

So I strongly believe in this 'dominance' theory, Barauska would never kill them or even draw blood (except by 'accident') but she just would not tolerate any dog that didn't show submission, it's tail may be wagging but that's not enough for some dogs.

It's a great shame, and in our case I do blame the breeder because from what little we know her father was very similar. So I believe it's an inherited character and breeders ought to be selecting non dominating dogs for breeding, but let's not go down that road
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I think we all have to remember, that dogs, like people are all different. Like us, some want to be the life and soul of the party while others prefer their own company.

My old lad was just the same. He was never aggressive, but just preferred the company of people rather than dogs. It never caused him or us any distress. If a rude dog did come over, he'd give 'em a stare and air snap and off they'd go.
This ^.

Dogs and people are regarded as social species, but that refers to the general population, not the specific individual.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
That is a shame. But he's a Shiba and it is quite typical isn't it?

Malamutes are the same. Keiko doesn't greet nicely on the lead but is lovely off lead. She's also naughty with dogs when on her own territory, including the run at work. I call her Keiky no mates

A person at ringcraft brought a 4 month Shiba and it was rather aggressive with the other dogs there. Sadly the woman decided she had to teach it who's boss and did an alpha roll. She was then trying to be chatty but I couldn't bring myself to talk to her after that.
Honestly, what a complete idiot!
To be honest, Gill, I didn't think it was typical - looks like I don't know my breed as well as I thought. Lennon is my sixth (and Bunnie my seventh) Shiba and they are the only ones with this stroppy streak. All my others were gentle, friendly dogs...

Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Hi, sorry to hear that Lennon's behaviour is stopping getting some mates - thank goodness for Bunnie. Purely out of interest did you just have Lennon with you, or Bunnie as well? When I'm walking both of mine together on leads (which is 95% of the time) one of mine is much more confident than the other when meeting other dogs. The less confident one will sometimes growl and snap at other dogs and I really think it is him protecting his mate. If I meet the same dogs when out with just one (the less confident) he will be as friendly as anything when meeting dogs .... really odd, and a pain in the neck.
My aunt has been staying for a couple of weeks (dog trainer) and she says that the dog will pick up on any anxious vibes that I may be sending out. In your circumstances I guess you know that Lennon isn't going to be too friendly and you therefore approached the staffy with Lennon on a short lead - no win situation really because by doing that you are letting Lennon know that there may be a problem as you approach the new dog, but on the other hand if you let Lennon just rush up he may go for the staffy.
How would Lennon be meeting a new dog off the lead?
I wish I could get into the heads of my two sometimes as it would make life a lot easier!!
Baz walks Bunnie and I walk Lennon, as a general rule. We never walk them together, as they walk so differently - Bunnie is a speed freak, and Len is a moocher. They are both street walked so are always on-lead.

Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
Oh dear Lennon u norty boy. can't offer any help as my boy is equally bad mannered and friendless!
At least it's not just my lot, then.....

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Lennon likes his own kind.....good job for Bunnies sake

Bruce chooses to be a billy no mates too, the girls greet other dogs, Bruce just walks over to the side and onwards. I don't know why he behaves that way, he just doesn't want to be bothered He's actually the same if I have him out alone, I could stop and have a chat to other doggy people and Bruce will wait over to one side away from their dog.

TBH I hate it when someone insists their dog says hello to him, Im NO!!! straight off as I know he will react if theirs growls/ sniffs/humps him

what can you do if they don't want mates

At least Lennon loves Bunnie
Well, he does now...... but that took almost 6 months....

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post

Yeah, I guess so..... I just think it's a shame...

Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Vicki, join the club, we're the same with our Baruska, now she's getting older she's a bit better but a few years ago she would have a 'go' at almost any dog, strangely there were a few she was OK with, the ones who were totally submissive and rolled over (literally) whatever breed, whatever size, she would want to 'dominate' them and that meant having a 'go' at them.

So I strongly believe in this 'dominance' theory, Barauska would never kill them or even draw blood (except by 'accident') but she just would not tolerate any dog that didn't show submission, it's tail may be wagging but that's not enough for some dogs.

It's a great shame, and in our case I do blame the breeder because from what little we know her father was very similar. So I believe it's an inherited character and breeders ought to be selecting non dominating dogs for breeding, but let's not go down that road
I just wish I could take him with me when I visit other Dogsey folk with "normal" dogs....

Originally Posted by Tass View Post
This ^.

Dogs and people are regarded as social species, but that refers to the general population, not the specific individual.
Yes, you're absolutely right......

Thanks for replying, everyone

x0x