Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
niclee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2005, 08:18 PM

Excema

My little Irish Blue Staff has got an itchy patch on his right hind leg which he keeps on nibbling. Another owner told us that it could be excema as his has this and has to have steroids. Anyone else heard of this?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2005, 09:25 PM
my staffie used to do this all the time! ive found adding sardines/tuna in sunflower oil to her meals have stopped this. Although it pretty much stopped altogether when i started feeding a raw diet.

Could it be a reaction to her food maybe?

If there is no redness or anything it could have jus turned into a habit, so maybe a distraction with toys everytime he does it would help.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-02-2005, 11:38 PM
Hi, it could be a number of things.. ringworm (fungal infection) mange, excema..I would have the vet check it out to be sure or it could spread. The steroids they spoke of are probably anti inflammatories.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2005, 12:58 PM
i have heard that staffys suffer from skin problems.

i would also go back to diet... or vaccines what do you feed your dog?
huntaway
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Hi

Prob diet related - try www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk - have had sooooo many success stories from my customers whose dogs had skin conditions. About a month after feeding Burns they have cleared up. Either that or BARF diet will do the trick.

Good Luck!
Jean
New Member!

23-02-2005, 09:32 PM
One of my dogs used to get wet excema every year (although he has not had it for some years). I changed his diet to raw and I was told by my raw meat supplier to treat the area with green tea. I did and not had a problem since. Its worth a try. I wouldn't give steriods since it just abates the problem and then comes back twofold when off the steriods. All you have to do is trim the fur away from the affected area. Soak a green tea bag in hot water, let it cool and then soak cotton wool in it and dab it on the affected area. Within a week clear!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2005, 10:26 AM
Raw food seems to make an incredible difference to conditions like this