Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inneedofhelp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2007, 05:26 PM

Help with kahn and his behaviour

hi..
i have a SBT called kahn. he is 2 and has been castrated since 11/08/2006, he has always been agressive, and thought this would stop once i got him done.

however he is still that same as before,whenever we go out for a walk he just goes mad if there is another dog in his path, he growls barks, pulls to get it.

he doesnt like humans getting in front of him his fur goes up and thats it (HAS NEVER ATTACKED A HUMAN).
i hate walking him and i prefer to go out in the mid afternoon (about 4pm) as i work in the morning.
sometimes i wish i never brought him, my other staff doesnt behave this way.
he has always had a proper bringing up by not allowing him to do bad things but if i tell him no my partner says yes and cuddles him, so i think this is y he is bad.
i cant take him to training classes or even to the vets as he might attack another dog.
WHAT CAN I DO!!!!!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 05:31 PM
is there a trainer in your area that could work with him 1 to 1 for a bit?
thats what I normaly do prior to them attending classes. Just a pity your so far off,
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Do you walk him muzzled?
Might help you relax and find it all a bit less stressful?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 06:38 PM
you need to work out what sort of aggression it is I think. To me that is very important before you tackle the issue.

If it is fear based a muzzle would make things far worse in my opinion as a dog with fear based aggression is insecure and lacking confidence and this needs to be built up, the further restriction of a muzzle would not help and can make things alot worse. Fear based aggressive dogs normaly show this when they are restrained / on lead, so what is he like with dogs off lead?

If he is doing this due to stress / anxiety or fear etc then you need to make sure you don't make him walk head on straight towards other dogs in my opinion...ignore when he is acting up with the lunging and noise etc any talking to him at that stage will be giving him reasurance of the behaviour which you don't want...Keep enough distance by walking far enough around or by changing directions and keep him in his comfort zone as soon as behaviour is calm praise and reward him lots and over time very slowly work on reducing the distance...He will then be comfortable to get closer in time until walks are normal.

If it is out and out aggression that is a different story of course, which someone else may be able to help more with.
inneedofhelp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2007, 12:18 PM
hi there.. no trainers in our area.
i tried taking to him and calming him down but nothing works, if i spot dogs of leads i put him on his, but if he has his tennis ball to chase he isnt bothered about anything, anything that comes in where he lives he doesnt care about he will sniff them and pay attention to them its just on the outside, i have a muzzle for him and that makes him look so nasty and he doesnt like it, i had to get the muzzle as he jusat jumped for a dog on my local market and i just decided enough was enough.
i want him to be a good boy and when we walk him he is a very stong dog, and it does seem to me he has pent up agression so what more can i do, i am frightened he will bite a child or somthing else and have to be destroyed
leelo
New Member!
Female 

16-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Hi there, I have not been online since last week and have only just read this thread.

Can I ask....... does your dog have his tennis ball with him when you are walking? More specific - does he carry it as he walks or do you carry it? Is he very possessive with all toys, sticks, etc?
Have you had Khan since he was a small puppy?
Is Khan showing this behaviour only when you walk him?

The fact that your dog is happy to let another into his territory does not indicate to me that he is particularly dog aggressive. (my GSD would not accept a strange dog on his land - he would fight first ask questions later, but is a perfect gentleman when out of his home territory).

Regards,
Leelo
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by inneedofhelp View Post
hi there.. no trainers in our area.
i tried taking to him and calming him down but nothing works, if i spot dogs of leads i put him on his, but if he has his tennis ball to chase he isnt bothered about anything, anything that comes in where he lives he doesnt care about he will sniff them and pay attention to them its just on the outside, i have a muzzle for him and that makes him look so nasty and he doesnt like it, i had to get the muzzle as he jusat jumped for a dog on my local market and i just decided enough was enough.
i want him to be a good boy and when we walk him he is a very stong dog, and it does seem to me he has pent up agression so what more can i do, i am frightened he will bite a child or somthing else and have to be destroyed
Don't talk to him when he is acting in appropriate at best it will go over his head and worse it could actually reinforce the behaviour. Ignore!...Only talk when he is being good when you can give loads of praise and attention to reinforce that behaviour.

Don't get so close to other dogs that you are worried about biting and maybe follow what I mentioned about his comfort zone in my earlier post. As soon as he acts up get further away from the other dog - change direction etc. Slowly over time try to reduce how close you can get. It wont happen fast so you have to stick with it and not give up.

You don't mention how he is in general, do you think he is a confident dog or not? does he some times appear insecure? or is he very dominant at all times - like leelo mentioned before - you said he let another dog in on his territory - that doesn't indicate he is totally dominant and out and out aggressive really. Has he ever had any interactions off lead with other dogs, how does he act? can you pin point if the aggression happens onlead only?

You mention he jumped for a dog at your local market, I would suggest that a market is to busy of an environment for him at this stage. He needs space until he is more at ease. Putting him crowded situations like that will only make him feel defensive if he is feeling fearful.

You'll need to think of the situations you are putting him in carefully.

You really do need to try to define what sort of aggression he has so you can start dealing with it.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2007, 02:14 PM
You say there are no trainers in your area.....I see you are in Essex...
Check here, it's a list of APDT in essex...
http://www.apdt.co.uk/trainers_area.asp?area=Essex

Even if they aren't in your town, a lot will generally do home visits, or you can go to them.

Try the yellow pages too.