Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 07:59 PM

Something between raw & kibble?

Hi all, just looking for some advice

At the minute I am feeding Molly on JWB kibble and although she likes it, she does get a funny stomach quite often. I really wanted to swap to feeding raw as I've heard that can help but as I still live at home with my mum & she's not at all happy about having tripe in the fridge (she's more squeamish than I am & I'm the bloody vegetarian!) swapping to raw doesn't seem likely to happen for another year yet.

Is there something that I can feed Molly that is like raw but maybe doesn't need to be kept in the fridge? Or maybe that will not smell like raw? I've had a look in the pet shop & found this Nature's Menu food but I'm not sure how good it is or whether it's what I'm looking for.

Help would be appreciated
Elmo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Could you not buy a cheap fridge from the free-ads (or a small freezer?)

The only other way I can think of is get your bones fresh from the butcher daily and your veg... that doesn't really help with the mince though.

Can't think of anything that's half way between because the very fact its raw requires storage.
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2010, 08:38 PM
My prize choice mince that can be bought from Petsathome is frozen and even when defrosted doesn't smell -it just looks like normal meat.
It comes in chicken and beef and lamb etc, so not as smelly as tripe.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 08:43 PM
what i do when we are away is to feed Nature Diet for breakfast and then call to the local supermarket for chicken wings etc on a night
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2010, 08:45 PM
My mum was a bit squemish about raw initially as well. Spoke to her about the benefits, split my meat at her house and she could see how much my dogs are thriving on it so she has now started to feed her puppy cooked mince. Its not the full hog but its a step in the right direction to BARF?

Initially when I was swapping them over i fed Muffin mince just bought from the shops, like Tesco frozen mince or something. Probably not the best and some people may say so but it was all i could give her at the time in the change of diet. That doesnt smell and isnt to off putting to look at? We also feed them chicken wings and lamb chops with the bone removed which again doesnt smell and not grousome but isnt really a full everyday dinner I suppose...

My girls now get feed raw mince from the local avatoir, bones, chicken wings and when I can treat them pig ears or lamb chops without the bone. Some pasta and scrambled eggs as well if they get an upset stomach.

A seperate freezer as Elmo said is a great solution as well? Means your not storing the dogs food with your own.

Sorry for the essay hope some of that helps at all

L xxxx
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Natures Menu is an excellent quality wet food, as are Natures Harvest and Naturediet. All three of these are well worth looking into. They are obviously not raw, but you'd be hard pushed to find better wet foods with natural ingredients and no rubbish fillers.

The other option could be using pre-packaged raw food. Prize Choice do various foods (rabbit, tripe, etc.) that comes in frozen blocks. Feeding these would take the 'ick' factor out of feeding most raw foods (helpful for a veggie!), but I'm sure that feeding these alone would be a complete diet'

Grain free kibble is also a possibility.
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
... but I'm sure that feeding these alone would be a complete diet'
Do you mean 'Not sure it would be a complete diet'?

I've just started and feed Prize Choice - I was a bit squeamish about it, and didn't think I'd have the time or knowledge but actually its been fine.
I dont think Prize Choice is complete -its just meat and ground bone. I add the nuggets of veg they do, an occasional raw egg with shell, chopped veg bits (just started reading that they should be liquidised but he's been having carrot peelings and bits of broccoli/parsnip etc with his mince.)
The prize choice contains bone mince, so I don't feel I have to give him too many raw bones -I do make sure he has something to keep his teeth clean though.
I'd say go for it - its easier than you'd think.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by firefox View Post
Do you mean 'Not sure it would be a complete diet'?
Yes sorry thats what i meant. lol
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
Yes sorry thats what i meant. lol
im a complete nugget thought that was about my post!

L

x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Hi Megan what about Darlings ..
http://www.darlingsrealdogfood.com/range.php

or Natural Instinct...
http://www.naturalinstinct.com/

The foods are a complete raw diet without the hassle of preparation and for a little dog like Molly a months supply shouldn't take up much freezer space.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >