Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2007, 11:46 AM

Hills jd dog food

Anyone here used or have a dog on hills jd dry food for your arthritic dog?, this is what my vet suggested to me for suka, as shes very stiff & not able to get up hardly & not eating well either, losing weight.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Poor Suka - I'm sorry I can't help you here because I feed mainly raw but I'm sure someone will come along who can.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2007, 07:16 PM
I have never fed a Hills diet myself, but working at a veterinary surgery our vet often prescribes Hills J/d for animals with joint problems (j/d = joint diet). We tend to get good results with this food and most clients seem happy.

Along with the food we also often prescribe supplements for joints, the main one being Synoquin which has proved to be a great success for many animals. Other supplements that we prescribe are Royal Canin Mobility Support tablets and Cosequin. It may be worth mentioning this to your vet? Don't take my word on it as it may be that this is not suitable in your case but is always worth an enquiry

Good luck and I hope Suka is feeling more like her old self again soon!
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2007, 08:36 PM
One of the girls I work with feeds her dog Hills J/D.
Her poor dog was run over by a truck when she was younger and broke multiple bones including her pelvis. I think they feed her this to protect her joints. It is now about 5 years after the accident and she has no problems with arthritis etc.
I have 2 arthritic dogs and they are both fed a light diet (to keep weight off) and have a glucosamine/chondrotin liquid with thier meals. They are both on daily Rimadyl and have advanced arthritis.
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2007, 09:01 PM
thanx for your replies , very helpful.
ChaKira
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-05-2007, 08:56 AM
I use Trophy Hypo Allergenic for my Lab X Collie she has arthritis and is supposed to be on 3 tablets a day to keep her supple, it has the omega 3 & 6 in it and also the Glucosamine and Chondroitin for healthy joints and cartliage so no need for me to add these. I have it delivered by the Trophy Franchisee as and when I need it - check out their web-site and see if there is a Franchise in your area - well worth doing www.trophypetfoods.co.uk.

Hope this helps!!
jo1371
New Member!
Female 

11-05-2009, 08:28 PM
My vet gave me a free sample of the 12kg j/d low calorie dried food for my 11 year old lab who has started suffering with being a bit stiff in his shoulder but also has a constant battle with his weight! As he doesn't eat much (not through his choice!) this bag lasted him about 6 weeks. I was sceptical it could help him but not one to ever turn down a freebie I happily tried him on it. As he had been on anti-inflammatories for a week before trying this food, he was moving fairly well anyway and I didn't notice a huge difference although he certainly had a spring in his step. We finished the j/d about 10 days ago and he has gone back to finish the dried food he was having before. He has completely changed - he is very stiff and slow, a different dog and I am convinced it is down to his diet. It's pricey but I am definitely going to put him back on j/d and get my lively, mad lab back!