Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Hi Wysiwig.
Working folk think as much of their dogs as any other. I will grant you there are some that dont, but I could say that about anyone, even people on here saying their dog is ill, but will "wait and see" how they go, me? I'd be at the Vets in a flash!

Dawn.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I think, though, that in this case Patch has a very valid point - producing a large number of lurcher/longdogs, most of whom are going to be culled, is - trying to think of a word - I'm just going to say something most dog lovers would see as totally unacceptable. There are so many lurchers in rescue - gorgeous lurchers too - that it does seem very sad for pups to have died so someone can have pups from their bitch.

For the record my dogs have been one "rescue" in the past and 3 from breeders :smt001

Working dog folk are not sentimental, and I think this is where the difference may lie perhaps (Dawn not aimed at you, just a generalisation)
I do agree about the breeding of Lurcher bit:smt001 Far too many beutiful lurchers in rescue-i have been sorely tempted numerous times, but the ones i have liked have never been cat suitable-sadly.
HOWEVER, I do disagree with the last statement about working dog folk-Myself and Dawn, amongst a fair few others on board, work our dogs and they are first and foremost our pets. I come from a very 'working dog' (lurchers, gundogs, terriers, once upona time hounds too!) family, friend base etc-and can safely say they treat their dogs a lot better than most other dog owners, and their dogs are treated a lot better with a lot more respect than most.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Hi Dawn, I appreciate what you're saying, and, I was referring to exactly those reasons when I said "..no matter how well the case was put or how convincing the reasons sound".

At the end of the day, two wrongs don't make a right, because the dogs should never have ended up in said situation to begin with. Do you see where I'm coming from? If the reasons you gave were Bad Scenario One, then Bad Scenario Two (the culling) isn't justifiable when Bad Scenario One could be avoided to begin with.

Yes it would have been a lot more work, yes it would be time consuming, yes it means being there for those puppies for the rest of their lives, but that's the responsible thing to do, not kill them and wash your hands of that responsibility.
I see where you are coming from Azz, i do, but as I said he didnt see like that, and I havent judged him for it, its his choice. you and others may think he took an easy way out, but I dont and neither does he. His bitch is an excellent working dog, has been his working companion for 4yrs almost, she lives as a pet with him and his family. Because of her breeding he had liver shunt tests done and hip-xrays dont know why he did that but he thought it was the best thing to do before he mated her. He wanted the same breeding to continue his work with, again its up to him.

When people get attacked like Patch has done (to him) it does nothing but alienate them, how dare they judge those they dont know. I am finding this more and more on forums, as I said this one used to be different.
Dawn.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Sorry but i find it very unjust to refer to this person who you do not know in such a manner.
Again, its the 'he should have rescued'-frankly, I think every single person on this forum is aware of the current rescue state-whether one chooses to adopt a rescue or go through a breeder is their choice, we all do not need to be told frequently that one should have rescued.
I said they *could* have rescued. Personally I`d rather such a person never have a dog at all. I don`t need to know him to know that what he did was abhorrent.

Frankly, i am getting quite sick of the fact some members have rescues and only have rescues and how they disagree with people breeding litters, purchasing puppies from breeders etc brought up in multiple threads, people shouldn't be made to feel bad for not going to a rescue!!
He bred mutts, crossbreeds, mongrels - albeit with a `type` name of longdog. These are not dogs which `need` to be bred, they are ten a penny in rescues. Yes I`m pro-rescue through and through but I also wholeheartedly support *responsible* breeders who have waiting lists before breeding, do all the necessary health checks before breeding, breed only from healthy lines, are prepared to take back any pups they have bred however many years down the line etc etc.
No right thinking person can possibly think it was about `bettering` the breed because they are not a breed, and no right thinking person can believe its ok to deliberately breed for such selfish reasons then kill those which had not been catered for responsibly with a waiting list of decent potential homes in advance.

Back on topic of culling, I have mixed feelings about the subject, whilst i can't see why one would breed without concrete homes lined up and then to cull, I can see reasons why one would cull pups in differing circumstances (meaning, for those out there who will be waiting to take what I have said out of context, I can't see why someone would breed without having homes lined up, But I can see why a breeder would cull for medical reasons etc)
Medical reason seems to be the last thing on the minds of those culling because of coat colour or for being `excess to requirements`despite having been deliberately bred. [ by deliberate I include `accidental` litters which would have been prevented by responsibly neutering in the first place ].

I`m sure no one would dispute that a dog of any age, whether newborn or of senior years, which had a condition meaning unrelenting painful suffering and no quality of life would welcome death, but thats not what so many pups are killed for by so many irresponible people with dark age mindsets
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Luke - I don't think anyone here is trying to make people feel guilty for not rescuing, it's up to people whether they do or not. They are probably more concerned with unethical breeders than anything else.

Delibrate cross-breeding isn't always wrong, as many 'working' dog people prefer certain crosses for certain types of work - so long as it is done ethically (ie homes lined up beforehand etc etc) then there's not a problem. (Just a quick note to people not aware of why working dog crosses are not the same as cross breed dogs found in rescues - working dogs have inherent instincts that result from parents that are also working dogs - in other words a 'normal' dog from a rescue couldn't do the work required of it as it's not in it's 'breeding' to react/work as required).

Dawn - with regards to Patch, I think she is venting as she is based on the fact that guy is not a member, so, reacting like we would to any news story we might hear. If the guy was a member I'm sure she would do her best to try and make him see the error of his ways (as opposed to flattening him ), as she's probably aware of the fact that alienting people just results in them putting the blockers up - which means we are powerless to perpetuate our perception of responsible ownership.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm sure she would do her best to try and make him see the error of his ways
What errors? thats her opinion not his!

I do understand that subjects such as these will raise tempers, but there is no doubting that some people make others feel guilty about breeding, racing, working, showing etc.. yet jumping over poles, and spinning round on their back legs to music is perfectly acceptable, different strokes I guess.
Dawn.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Delibrate cross-breeding isn't always wrong, as many 'working' dog people prefer certain crosses for certain types of work - so long as it is done ethically (ie homes lined up beforehand etc etc) then there's not a problem. (Just a quick note to people not aware of why working dog crosses are not the same as cross breed dogs found in rescues - working dogs have inherent instincts that result from parents that are also working dogs - in other words a 'normal' dog from a rescue couldn't do the work required of it as it's not in it's 'breeding' to react/work as required).
Indeed, I myself own one of the purpose 'working' bred cross terriers
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
What errors? thats her opinion not his!

I do understand that subjects such as these will raise tempers, but there is no doubting that some people make others feel guilty about breeding, racing, working, showing etc.. yet jumping over poles, and spinning round on their back legs to music is perfectly acceptable, different strokes I guess.
Dawn.
Exactly, she'd do her best to make him see the error of his ways, based on her standpoint.

With regards to your other point, thats way too general for me to address. What do you mean exactly? What aspects of each are you reffering to? Perhaps it's those individual aspects that people are not fussed about - not the act as a whole.

At the end of the day most dog lovers will look at it from the dogs point of view - happy versus unhappy, life versus death. etc etc.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by AllBreeds View Post
What this vet has done is unethical
Why do you think the RCVS would regard this as unethical? Have they ever made a statement that they would regard culling as unethical? Do they regard PTS surplus dogs in rescue centres as unethical? I think you should perhaps contact them for their view in principle rather than try and report someone on the basis that you do not regard it as ethical.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2006, 08:13 PM
I can't help thinking how impractical it could be to wait for 12 good homes for working breeds to be patiently established on a waiting list. I'm not sure I would be able to do it either but I do think putting puppies to sleep immediately after birth may appear unpleasant but it does not lead to suffering, placing in a rashly chosen home potentially could.
Page 9 of 16 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »