View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Dawn please don't think I'm having a go at you, not at all. If you can please try and find out the vets full name. What this vet has done is unethical and I would like to report him to both The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons and The Royal Vet College. Unless the pups were suffering the vet had no right to destory them.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
and they are NOT here to defend themselves, for gods sake wake up!
And you called me abusive...?

and can you find one instance when I said I condone or agree with what he did?
Yes I can. You said : he was responsible for what he produced, this way he knew where they were all going and he knew they were safe. I actually admire him for that

I said I didnt and couldnt do it myself. I did say that culling may help rescue numbers and give older dogs a better chance of finding a home, as I believe the older dogs deserve a chance as much as puppies. I stand by this.
Dawn.
If idiots like him did`nt breed in the first place, he and his family could of rescued 4 dogs instead of breeding a litter to kill 8 of them. Not that any decent rescue would want such a lowlife to take in their dogs anyway. I would rather gouge out my own eyes with a rusty fork than let such a person anywhere near a dog.

What I find so hard to swallow is that you are so anti neuter but are, by your own words, pro the killing of `surplus` or `imperfect` dogs.
Every person anti-neuterers persuade not to neuter are adding to the risks of increasng the number of dogs ending up being killed like the poor longdog litter, or in rescue until they are older - if they make it at all - when they then become deemed `worthy` of a chance in your eyes.
Your logic defies me.
What kind of message does it send out on a dog *lovers* forum to those seeking advice about neutering and breeding
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-11-2006, 06:28 PM
I'm sure you'll all see why emotions are running high - we're all dog lovers here, and most of us, could never agree with the throwaway attitude that culling in this regard is seen as.

We're no longer living in the dark ages, we're meant to have evolved. If people want to breed they should do so unselfishly and with all the dogs best interest at heart. And making sure all dogs have good homes beforehand is one such obligation. Killing them when they've just been born because it's 'easier' is just not acceptable and no wonder people find it abhorrent and repulsive.

Dawn - I can see that you respect the fact that such a bold decision was taken, but, unfortunately, it was a selfish decision, no matter how well the case was put or how convincing the reasons sound. At the end of the day, that guy went for the easy option.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Can we all CALM DOWN a tad too please

Remember, if people are put on the defensive they are much less likely to listen to what you have to say, and more importantly why you're saying it.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Rescues do not deliberately breed dogs knowing fully well they will have to kill the majority
Who said they did?

Whether you agree with it or not, I stand by what I said and I had no part in his actions.

Azz, I dont find what he did repulsive or abhorrant, if you do thats your choice, I wont make judgement on him based on his actions he felt were right for him. I find it amazing how people slag people off for breeding excessively, selling to unsuitable homes, not taking back dogs they have bred, yet when somebody actually ensures none of his dogs end up like this he is wrong! Nothing more than hypocrites thinking everything in our world is hunky-dory.
Dawn.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
And you called me abusive...?

Yes I can. You said : he was responsible for what he produced, this way he knew where they were all going and he knew they were safe. I actually admire him for that

If idiots like him did`nt breed in the first place, he and his family could of rescued 4 dogs instead of breeding a litter to kill 8 of them. Not that any decent rescue would want such a lowlife to take in their dogs anyway. I would rather gouge out my own eyes with a rusty fork than let such a person anywhere near a dog.

What I find so hard to swallow is that you are so anti neuter but are, by your own words, pro the killing of `surplus` or `imperfect` dogs.
Every person anti-neuterers persuade not to neuter are adding to the risks of increasng the number of dogs ending up being killed like the poor longdog litter, or in rescue until they are older - if they make it at all - when they then become deemed `worthy` of a chance in your eyes.
Your logic defies me.
What kind of message does it send out on a dog *lovers* forum to those seeking advice about neutering and breeding
Sorry but i find it very unjust to refer to this person who you do not know in such a manner.
Again, its the 'he should have rescued'-frankly, I think every single person on this forum is aware of the current rescue state-whether one chooses to adopt a rescue or go through a breeder is their choice, we all do not need to be told frequently that one should have rescued. Frankly, i am getting quite sick of the fact some members have rescues and only have rescues and how they disagree with people breeding litters, purchasing puppies from breeders etc brought up in multiple threads, people shouldn't be made to feel bad for not going to a rescue!!
Back on topic of culling, I have mixed feelings about the subject, whilst i can't see why one would breed without concrete homes lined up and then to cull, I can see reasons why one would cull pups in differing circumstances (meaning, for those out there who will be waiting to take what I have said out of context, I can't see why someone would breed without having homes lined up, But I can see why a breeder would cull for medical reasons etc)
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 06:40 PM
That Luke is actually very correct. There are a few forums where people are treated awfully should they dare to suggest they want a dog from a breeder. I thought Dogsey was different. There does only appear to be rescue dogs to some people and good for them, I have had more rescue dogs than I have had dogs bought, but some people do force it upon people, likewise neutering, it makes enemies of people, nothing more.
Dawn.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Again, its the 'he should have rescued'-frankly, I think every single person on this forum is aware of the current rescue state-whether one chooses to adopt a rescue or go through a breeder is their choice, we all do not need to be told frequently that one should have rescued.)
I think, though, that in this case Patch has a very valid point - producing a large number of lurcher/longdogs, most of whom are going to be culled, is - trying to think of a word - I'm just going to say something most dog lovers would see as totally unacceptable. There are so many lurchers in rescue - gorgeous lurchers too - that it does seem very sad for pups to have died so someone can have pups from their bitch.

In this person's case, I'd have thought more planning could have helped - maybe planning even 2 years ahead, to ensure the pups had good homes.

My breed is Belgians - now, if I heard UK BSD breeders had started culling I'd be absolutely furious and heartbroken and really angry.

For the record my dogs have been one "rescue" in the past and 3 from breeders :smt001
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 06:45 PM
I have friends in the US who use the word cull with a different meaning as in remove from the gene pool by placing in pet homes and neutering - I was horrified by a discussion there about culling and then slowly realised their use of the word was NOT as I was understanding it.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Azz, I dont find what he did repulsive or abhorrant, if you do thats your choice, I wont make judgement on him based on his actions he felt were right for him. I find it amazing how people slag people off for breeding excessively, selling to unsuitable homes, not taking back dogs they have bred, yet when somebody actually ensures none of his dogs end up like this he is wrong! Nothing more than hypocrites thinking everything in our world is hunky-dory.
Dawn.
Hi Dawn, I appreciate what you're saying, and, I was referring to exactly those reasons when I said "..no matter how well the case was put or how convincing the reasons sound".

At the end of the day, two wrongs don't make a right, because the dogs should never have ended up in said situation to begin with. Do you see where I'm coming from? If the reasons you gave were Bad Scenario One, then Bad Scenario Two (the culling) isn't justifiable when Bad Scenario One could be avoided to begin with.

Yes it would have been a lot more work, yes it would be time consuming, yes it means being there for those puppies for the rest of their lives, but that's the responsible thing to do, not kill them and wash your hands of that responsibility.
Page 8 of 16 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »