View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liberty
Dogsey Senior

14-09-2004, 03:54 PM

Info on Jack Russell Terriers

I was going to get another flattie at some stage, but now I'm not sure I really want two large and boisterous dogs

So I'm now thinking of a JRT...I know they're not KC registered, can be feisty, etc but that's about all

Can anyone give me more info on them, or what to look for in the breed?

There's no rush, as I'm sure I'll have Bree for a long time yet

libs
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2004, 04:02 PM
my mums hates every other dog and any cat and also hates little girls and men in hats or with beards-

hes a funny little thing but does adore my two boys
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Hi Libs,
Ive known remarkably good behaved JRT's and snappy little things, i really believe, it has alot to do with the breeding and upbringing, if you put the time in you will have a lovely little fun loving dog, who is a pleasure to own, they can be very affectionate and friendly, but its all to do with the time you put in, they are great little dogs i love em!
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

14-09-2004, 04:44 PM
I think cos they are snappy they get 'sorted out' by bigger Dogs, it;s normally the JRs fault cos they think they are 6ft tall and built like bricks, but no-ones told them they aint lol
JonUK
Dogsey Junior

14-09-2004, 04:44 PM
http://www.ratpack-terriers.co.uk/default.asp

IMO the best site for info on The Parsons Russel terrier(real jack russels)loads of info!
Hope this helps
Jon.
liberty
Dogsey Senior

14-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the link Jon, I want to find out as much as possible about them beforehand, including personal experiences of the breed too.

libs
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2004, 05:10 PM
My aunty used to have one called Kim and she was fantastic. She loved everybody and everything. Kim's best mate was an English Springer Spaniel.
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2004, 07:51 PM
i got bit by one when i was 8!
caro0501
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2004, 10:47 AM
JRTs - don't believe the 'yappy, snappy' hype....it's as misguided and naive as saying "all bull breeds are uncontrollable man-eating beasts"....

If you want a Jack Russell Terrier, the FCI breed standard can be found here http://www.fci.be/uploaded_files/345a2004_en.doc
Generally they are the smaller ones, with a height of approx 10-12", and proportion wise they are slightly longer than tall

If you want a Parson Russell Terrier, the FCI breed standard can be found here http://www.fci.be/uploaded_files/339A2003_en.doc
This is the taller leggier version, and they are often referred to being 'square', as in body length is proportionally square to leg length.

They both share the same roots in terrier history, that of the Reverend John Russell....but have developed over the years into two distinct and seperate types. The argument as to which is the *correct* one is just pointless pouting.

Jack Russell Terriers are recognised in KCs all over the world, it seems as if the UK KC is one the of the only one's left who hasn't wised up yet. They are a flourishing Kennel Club breed here in Ireland, so if getting a Jack with papers is something close to your heart then give me a shout, and I can put you in touch with Irish KC JRT pups.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Well Libs Iv got one and she is the most loving little thing, although she is the boss.

Tia isnt snappy or aggressive with big dogs, but she has been raised with two. I must admit if shes threatened of Saffy or Max are threatened she will give as good as she gets, but she never instigates a fight.

They are very agile and quick witted as would be expected from a breed that is bred primarily to flush foxes out.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >