View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 04:33 PM
and the carers allowance is bloody taxed too!!!
My son,as Helen's mum needs round the clock care. I have to do everything for him...and I mean everything!
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Too right I get the exact same amount for looking after my severly disabled son...unfair society we live in.
So looking after your son who is severly disabled which means your life has to fit around his needs and care physicaly and mentaly is on the same par, £53 per week?? too right unfair.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
£53 a week for a cleft palette---that seems a lot?

rune
That was one of my first thoughts as well! They shouldn't be getting any extra money for this at all, IMO! Ridiculous!

Makes me bloody mad. That's more than I earn for 40+ hours a week!

No wonder this country is in a mess! They want to get off their erses and get a bloody job! Scumbags!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 04:47 PM
I agree,however have any of you actually cared for a child with a Cleft Palate ?

I have and I can you it's bloody hard work,Tom was born with a Cleft Palate,and Polycystic Kidneys,one of which has been totally absorbed by his body.
He couldn't be left with anyone because I had to learn how to feed him with special equipment.The hospital did at one point consider tube feeding him.
At 13 months old he had to undergo a major op which lasted 4/5 hours in threatre and 2 weeks in hospital.
He had to be fed on ultra sloppy food,which used to regulary come down his nose,he was a high risk of choking because all the co-ordination in his mouth was out,infact he frightened nurses on several occasions as they thought he was choking.

Not to mention,how it has affected his speech and language,two further ops lasting 5 hours,countless speech and language sessions and hospital appointments.

As a baby he was prone to colic and suffered terrible with it,infact we endured hours and I mean hours of screaming,countless respiratory infections,and ear infections,all this goes hand in hand with a Cleft Palate.
But it's ONLY a Cleft Palate
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I agree,however have any of you actually cared for a child with a Cleft Palate ?

I have and I can you it's bloody hard work,Tom was born with a Cleft Palate,and Polycystic Kidneys,one of which has been totally absorbed by his body.
He couldn't be left with anyone because I had to learn how to feed him with special equipment.The hospital did at one point consider tube feeding him.
At 13 months old he had to undergo a major op which lasted 4/5 hours in threatre and 2 weeks in hospital.
He had to be fed on ultra sloppy food,which used to regulary come down his nose,he was a high risk of choking because all the co-ordination in his mouth was out,infact he frightened nurses on several occasions as they thought he was choking.

Not to mention,how it has affected his speech and language,two further ops lasting 5 hours,countless speech and language sessions and hospital appointments.

As a baby he was prone to colic and suffered terrible with it,infact we endured hours and I mean hours of screaming,countless respiratory infections,and ear infections,all this goes hand in hand with a Cleft Palate.
Still think it's not worthy of £53 a week, every week!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 04:53 PM

That's very sad indeed, but I'm sorry it still does not equate to full time care of someone who is both mentally and physically disabled and doubly incontinent and is now 35 years of age and I have been caring for him since he was a baby.
Not being funny, but at least your child has grown up and is walking.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 04:53 PM
I used to get £1.66 a week for caring for my disabled son. Because Carers Allowance is taken off any other benefits and that`s what I was left with.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Still think it's not worthy of £53 a week, every week!
Not saying it was,however I don't think some of you actually realise the amount of work and time involved,never mind a bit of freedom.I never went out without my son for the first 18 months.As I said I couldn't leave him with anyone.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I used to get £1.66 a week for caring for my disabled son. Because Carers Allowance is taken off any other benefits and that`s what I was left with.
That's what I mean, I think the Gov should link this benefit to wages...even the lowest paid worker "earns" more than I do...I can't go out to work, as much as I would love to...Imagine how much it would cost to care for a disabled person, like my son. if they lived in care...thousands of pounds...a WEEK
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Not saying it was,however I don't think some of you actually realise the amount of work and time involved,never mind a bit of freedom.I never went out without my son for the first 18 months.As I said I couldn't leave him with anyone.
ditto... and still on going
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »