Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
taylor
New Member!
Female 

06-03-2013, 04:45 PM

Potty train goes wrong?

Hi, I have 3 month old husky! he's really stubborn but so clever. he gets the obedience training so fast!

I had him for over a month now and i put him mostly in crate, and let him out about 3-4 times a day, @20 mins since my mom scared of dog. All this time I don't have a problem with him inside the crate, he really quite and doesn't complain.

yesterday I decided to potty train my pup (crate train style), so i let him out more often (once every hours) to relieve himself. on the day, i don't have much trouble with the training session, i let him out, waiting bout 5 mins until he goes, playing, then put him on crates, and he just stand quietly, then nap. I do that all day until when the nights come, he's barks,whine,crying ALL night asking to get out.
I let him out couple of hour, asking to "Go potty" and standing
until he goes, but he just asking me to play. he wont go inside the crate, and doesn't potty either.
it's been 2 days and my neighbour starts to complain. how do i keep them calm at night?

(ps. sorry about bad english, i'm not native)
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm sorry he is in a crate far too much IMO, I only use a crate for a couple of hours a day at most and have Betty pretty much toilet trained. No accidents she just needs paper down over night as she can't quite make it through.
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-03-2013, 09:15 PM
So whats going to happen when he's bigger if your Mum is afraid of him?

Pups don't live in crates, it should just be his bed or a place of safety when you can't watch him.

What you describe is cruelty in my view
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Are you exercising him enough - is he being taken for long walks - preferably off lead? If he isn't getting sufficient exercise that may explain his behaviour. Dogs become neurotic really quite quickly if kept confined for too long.
dogcomingsoon
New Member!
Female 

06-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Poor, poor dog. 23 out of 24 hours in a crate?

That's inhumane.
taylor
New Member!
Female 

06-03-2013, 10:42 PM
I know it is so wrong and cruel, but No, actually I didn't live with my mom, it's just happened she stays here for couple of month for some reason.

I tried to sleep with my pup at night in my bedroom so he doesn't get crated but he leaving mess everywhere, pee and poo on my bed, since i have low rise bed. that's why i tried to crate train him so when he can get a great access inside the house, he pretty much potty trained.
taylor
New Member!
Female 

06-03-2013, 10:50 PM
yep, I take him walk every morning. He jog for only 10-15 minutes until he decided to stay, doesn't want to continue the walk, so i just take him home.

I read the reference that husky needed to have exercise for at least 30 min, so i worried, he actually not having enough exercise, but i don't want to force him if he don't wants to continue.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by taylor View Post
Hi, I have 3 month old husky! he's really stubborn but so clever. he gets the obedience training so fast!

I had him for over a month now and i put him mostly in crate, and let him out about 3-4 times a day, @20 mins since my mom scared of dog. All this time I don't have a problem with him inside the crate, he really quite and doesn't complain.

yesterday I decided to potty train my pup (crate train style), so i let him out more often (once every hours) to relieve himself. on the day, i don't have much trouble with the training session, i let him out, waiting bout 5 mins until he goes, playing, then put him on crates, and he just stand quietly, then nap. I do that all day until when the nights come, he's barks,whine,crying ALL night asking to get out.
I let him out couple of hour, asking to "Go potty" and standing
until he goes, but he just asking me to play. he wont go inside the crate, and doesn't potty either.
it's been 2 days and my neighbour starts to complain. how do i keep them calm at night?

(ps. sorry about bad english, i'm not native)
yep, I take him walk every morning. He jog for only 10-15 minutes until he decided to stay, doesn't want to continue the walk, so i just take him home.

I read the reference that husky needed to have exercise for at least 30 min, so i worried, he actually not having enough exercise, but i don't want to force him if he don't wants to continue.
I can't believe what I'm reading here!

if I would realise something like that over here, immediately I would call the Animal welfare
and that would be the last time, you have had a dog!

get a Hamster for your crate!
Bones68
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2013, 06:20 AM
I'd whine if I was in a crate all day..it's nothing short of cruelty, why own a dog to shut him in a crate all day?

I have been crate training my puppy and he only goes in at night (5 hours at most) and for a short period mid morning and mid afternoon. Already after 3 weeks, he's pretty much toilet trained and has started going to the door if he needs to go!
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2013, 07:37 AM
He probably needs more than 1 jog each day - and more stimulation rather than just jogging, maybe try jogging him for 10 mins each day and make it playful which might be enough for his growing bones and then walking him gently let him sniff the grass etc. I think he's telling you he has had enough of the puffy exercise and needs more interesting things to do when he's out. I don't have any experience of huskies but I think all breeds, especially puppies need an appropriate amount of exercise.

I think most people on here are reacting because it sounds like your puppy is being locked in a cage for 23 hours per day - that is far too much.

I've been lucky in that my dogs have been very easily house trained. There's a lot of advice on here about toilet training. I wish you lots of luck AND don't have your mother to stay if it means your dog has to be locked in a cage for 23 hours per day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >