Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 08:14 AM

The "waiting outside the supermarket" dog

You often see dogs tied to posts outside supermarket, but this one yesterday had me memorised!
I was sat on the bench outside asda (as you do) and the guy told his dog (a collie & not on lead) to wait & off he went into Asda. Well.......... this dog just stood there right in the middle of the doorway & did not move, there were trolleys banging past, screaming kids, grannies & the usual Friday afternoon mobs & still this dog just stood there in the middle of the doorway - he didn't even sit down! People were talking to him & kids calling him, but he did not budge.
I've never seen such a loyal and unfazed by anything dog!!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Ive seen them too & oddly enough they were Collie types/crosses. Sounded a totally bomb proof dog you saw.

I have to say though, i dont think its fair to leave your dog/s outside supermarkets. Then you get them couped up in cars in the car parks - some lie down but most bark continuously - to my mind, they'd be better off at home.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Ive seen them too & oddly enough they were Collie types/crosses. Sounded a totally bomb proof dog you saw.

I have to say though, i dont think its fair to leave your dog/s outside supermarkets. Then you get them couped up in cars in the car parks - some lie down but most bark continuously - to my mind, they'd be better off at home.
I know it was amazing - I've only ever seen dogs tied to posts outside supermarkets, I always want to go & give them a big love & keep them company (but I don't!!)
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 09:31 AM
That does sound well-behaved but wouldn't leave my dog like that as you never know what other people/kids will do to your dog.

I tied Parker up outside the Post Office whilst I went in with Cherry as he had been a bit sicky due to the fireworks last year. I could see him whilst I was waiting. This boy of about 9 walked past and began poking him through the railings! He just tried to move away and looked uncomfortable whilst the boy's mother just watched him do this! I went out and shouted at him to leave my dog alone-I was so angry, If Parker had been a different sort of dog and the child had carried on doing this he may have got bitten and then there are calls for the dog to be put to sleep.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 10:40 AM
oh, i love seeing dogs behaving like that. there is a guy who i walk with sometimes with a JRTx and she is like that.

i wouldnt leave a dog tied outside the supermarket either, i often go up and wait outside with jake while my mum pops in for something.
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I must admit that I have left Kia outside the supermarket, but very rarely and only if I know I'll be in and out in a flash! I run round that place like a mad woman if I know she's waiting .

She's very good though. And doesn't bark or anything . I still don't like doing it though, you never know what other people might do. So its only ever if I'm popping in mid-walk to pick up some milk or something. Not for a major shop!

Sarah xoxox
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=lozzibear;1941825]oh, i love seeing dogs behaving like that. there is a guy who i walk with sometimes with a JRTx and she is like that.QUOTE]

Really?? a JRT? maybe there is hope afterall
A chap here has a pair of labs, mother and daughter. They are so good, just like that. They won't even look at other people. it's incredible!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 11:33 AM
I too have seen a dog like that outside our Tesco. I find them absolutly amazing to watch, but I also have to say that however well trained a dog is, unfortunatly they are an open target to kids or thieves.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Yes-I forgot to say that years ago I left my Cairn terrier Rusty outside a shop whilst I nipped in. When I came out a minute or two later someone was untying his lead!
I asked him what he was doing and he said he thought my dog was a stray! I replied that Rusty was tied up and had an id disc on so was unlikely to be a stray. Scary thought that if I had been a little while longer I may never have seen him again.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2010, 08:46 PM
not something i would ever do but it always amazes me how many people do it frequently and with dogs who would be prime stealing material too.

I was at Tesco the other day when someone tied up a beautiful Rhodesian Ridgeback and her pup and went in, its a massive 24hr tesco on the road out of the city, and they were still there when I came out 20 minutes later so clearly not a nip in trip !!!

Just think its a shame as they could be at home happily curled up on the sofa.

I would never leave Bruno as he would kick up such a fuss with his whining, that people would think he had been abandoned, but primarily because he could get stolen, abused by horrible people, or chew threw his lead and wander, or worst scenario if someone tied up another dog beside him then he would attempt to eat it !
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >