Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2010, 11:31 PM

Northfield woman barred from bus with pet dog

May 4 2010 by Edward Chadwick, Birmingham Mail

A VET’S nurse says she was left humiliated after a driver stopped her getting on a bus with her dog – because he feared it would be a danger to other passengers.

Angela Smith hoped to make her daily trip on the number 63 home from Birmingham city centre with two-year-old Frazzle.

But a driver banned the pair from the bus after deciding that the Staffordshire bull terrier would frighten commuters.

The 36-year-old, who works at the PDSA clinic in Witton, said she felt she had been discriminated against because of the dog she owned.

But the boss of Travel Express Limited said no breeds of dog were barred and that it was left to the discretion of drivers.

“I thought it was very unfair that the driver decided that just because Frazzle is a Staffie that wouldn’t be allowed on,” said Angela, who lives in Northfield.

“They have a got a reputation, unfortunately, because of some irresponsible owners but I don’t think it’s fair to make a judgement on every dog like that. I work at the PDSA and encounter much more aggressive and dangerous dogs. It’s the owners who are the problem.”

The driver would not give her a reason for refusing her but she was later sent a letter from Kishan Chumber, the director of Wolverhampton-based Travel Express, explaining that it was down to his drivers to make the decision.

“Our policy is very clear,” Mr Chumber told the Birmingham Mail.

“Guide and hearing dogs are welcome on our buses and any other dog at the driver’s discretion.”

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/t...7319-26367911/
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-05-2010, 12:49 AM
I used to work (a long time ago, and only briefly) as a bus conductor. The company policy on travelling dogs was that they had to stay downstairs, and have a ticket (charged as children).

Snorri
2Greys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2010, 01:05 AM
Seems very unfair given the dog hadn't shown any poor behaviour I really feel for the people who have to rely on public transport to be able to get their dog to the vets etc. When our car broke down i enquired with the local bus company to see what their policy was as the dogs booster was due and i wasn't sure when i'd get the car back. They only allow small dogs (so no good to me) and at the drivers discretion.
I can understand the driver needing to be allowed to make a judgement call on the individual dog based on the behaviour they witness but knowing what some drivers are like its a bit worrying that you could be allowed on by one driver and on your return journey refused by another.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 07:03 AM
its such a shame when things like this happen. imagine being able to get somewhere and then getting barred on the way home, if you've purchased a return ticket particularly, don't they have to honour that?
i don't just think it's staffies, i think a lot of dogs, particularly if bigger than a toy breed, are getting discriminated against 'just in case' and the bigger the dog the more trouble you have being allowed anywhere. i think there should be rules in place where you admit a dog and if it behaves badly, then it's asked to leave, at least give them a chance!
not everyone has cars!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Pats a bus driver and yes it is down to the drivers discrection. We no longer pay a fare for dogs, years ago we had to pay a childs fare, bus companies no longer except responsiblity regards accidents on buses with dogs, ie someone tripping over them or even getting bitten.
It sounds more like the driver him/herself was worried about the breed and refused to allowing it on the bus.
I've been (sometime ago) refused too with one of mine the driver did however say there were an number of kids on the bus and he'd rather not chance it.
I just had to except his decision and catch the next one
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 07:34 AM
thats terrible i get the bus all the time with jake, and so far had no problems... although i get a wee bus that i now know the drivers of, and they are always happy to see jake
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Unfortunately there are a fair share of people in Birmingham who are terrified of dogs!

I get people cross infront of moving cars to get away from either of my two (when they are on lead, quiet and next to my side - neither of my dogs react to people, so IMO they have no reason to be so extreme).

We've been lucky in the fact that the two times I've caught the bus with Jess and Angus, they have been allowed on with no problem (even if a lady did that she used to have an Alsatian cross German Shepherd lol).
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
May 4 2010 by Edward Chadwick, Birmingham Mail

A VET’S nurse says she was left humiliated after a driver stopped her getting on a bus with her dog – because he feared it would be a danger to other passengers.

Angela Smith hoped to make her daily trip on the number 63 home from Birmingham city centre with two-year-old Frazzle.

But a driver banned the pair from the bus after deciding that the Staffordshire bull terrier would frighten commuters.

The 36-year-old, who works at the PDSA clinic in Witton, said she felt she had been discriminated against because of the dog she owned.

But the boss of Travel Express Limited said no breeds of dog were barred and that it was left to the discretion of drivers.

“I thought it was very unfair that the driver decided that just because Frazzle is a Staffie that wouldn’t be allowed on,” said Angela, who lives in Northfield.

“They have a got a reputation, unfortunately, because of some irresponsible owners but I don’t think it’s fair to make a judgement on every dog like that. I work at the PDSA and encounter much more aggressive and dangerous dogs. It’s the owners who are the problem.”

The driver would not give her a reason for refusing her but she was later sent a letter from Kishan Chumber, the director of Wolverhampton-based Travel Express, explaining that it was down to his drivers to make the decision.

“Our policy is very clear,” Mr Chumber told the Birmingham Mail.

“Guide and hearing dogs are welcome on our buses and any other dog at the driver’s discretion.”

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/t...7319-26367911/
Another example of the ignorance of people and their concept of staffies... so sad and i would be furious had it been me.
Emax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2010, 11:56 AM
I had this on a bus, the driver told me he would a let dog on but not a beast. I knew entrance was at his discretion, and I was only being lazy, so we walked.

We have been allowed on country buses without any problems, so maybe my boy ins't that scarey!!
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Emax View Post
I had this on a bus, the driver told me he would a let dog on but not a beast. I knew entrance was at his discretion, and I was only being lazy, so we walked.

We have been allowed on country buses without any problems, so maybe my boy ins't that scarey!!
I would have been furious at that remark and would have wrote a letter of complaint about the way he said what he said. That is an appauling attitude.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >