Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jofelicia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2011, 08:53 AM

My Crazy cat!! Help!

Hi all, apologies if this is a bit long!

I have a crazy cat!! Not just zany or cool or anything slightly endearing just plain bonkers!

Miss Brown is approx 10yrs old ginger and white female cat who I rescued about 7 years ago. She is neutured.

The problem with Miss Brown is that she is very vocal, very very vocal! She just doesn't shut up. She meows for food, frantically, so I feed her. Then she meows while eating. Then when she has finished, if she does finish, she meows a bit more. She meows to go out, to come in and for everything else in between. She also meows just for the hell of it!

It would be ok if it was a dainty noise but it is loud and changes depending on the demand at the time. I did think she needed more fuss but after 10 secs of fuss she attacks you. Not just a scratch but really attacks!

She is driving us all to distraction! My husband is keen to rehome her but I hate to think what would happen to her if we did, but after 7 years I am going mad!!

Can cats actually have mental health issues?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Has she had a vet check up recently? Has she had her thyroid levels checked?

Some cats are quite vocal. If she is ok healthwise, I would urge you not to give up on her as its not always easy to home older pets. does she play much, you can get interactive toys which they love, keeps them busy and entertained.
Jofelicia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Hi and thanks for your reply.

She was at the vet recently after being attacked by the local amorous tom! She had various blood tests then so as far as I am aware all is well in that respect.

She has always been like this but recently it seems to have got worse, or maybe I am just really fed up of it! I won't rehome her unless some crazy cat lady comes and begs for her, unlikely I'm sure!!

You maybe on to something with the playing issue. We have 2 dogs who seem to dominate the house and she just keeps out of the way so maybe getting her a scratch post of some toys maybe help. I will certainly give it a go!

Any other ideas gratefully accepted!
JIMMY LAW
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Have you tried going on the Dogsey sister site Catsey, you might get more of a feed back, goodluck with the mad cat.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 01:15 PM
my trouble was like this as a kitten ( not helped im sure by his last owner who much like you do gave him everything on demand) he was only 4 months i then got him neutered, lots of toys and stopped giving him things on demand and when that didn't work?? i read that getting another kitten would help and that is how i got strife, and now magic

but i dont think that would be a great idea for you as your cat is elderly

have you tried feliway?
Jofelicia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Aw Elderly! Never thought of her as that! Suppose it makes sense!

Not tried feliway, but might give it a go. Anything is worth a try. Will keep you posted. Thanks for all your replies!
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Hello, I was just going to suggest trying Feliway too. My experience of it has been great. It can take a few weeks to start working, but worth a try. Good luck