Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Micky
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2009, 08:59 AM

Holistic vets/therapies

Has anyone here tried a Holistic/Homeopathic vet or alternative therapies for their dogs?? My dog has has had a lot of ops due to injuries in her short life and i now worry her being on medication due to the amount she has been on.. I also wonder if anyone has taken their dog/s to have some kind of alternative therapy for their joints or any other ailments, ie Accupuncture, Kinesiology etc etc... I regularly take my girl for Hydrotherapy in the hope that it strengthens her joints/ligaments ......
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2009, 03:18 PM
My 5 year old Parson Russell Terrier, Jack, injured his front leg as a pup. He over-stretched the ligaments and now his paw splays out to one side. He had a lot of treatment at the vets.....Xrays, splints, plaster casts, as well as painkillers. He runs well enough but suffers by the evening and is obviously in some discomfort. The vets answer was strong painklilers which I did'nt want for a young dog, as he would have this problem for life.
I took him to a McTimoney- Corley Animal Spinal Therapist.....an animal chiropractor. She explained that he was compensating for his bad leg by putting more weight on the other three, and this had thrown his spine out of alignment, thus causing more pain. He had 3 sessions with the therapist and we were shown how to regularly manipulate the tiny muscles either side of the spine. She explained that nothing can be done to correct the initial injury as the bone plates have now set. However the treatment helped enormously and now we just take him for treatment if we see his spine is'nt quite as it should be......just once or twice a year. He now has no pain-killers but I do give Glucosamine/Chondrotin suppliments and Devils Claw.
pie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Some of the pet owners I know use Dog Gone Pain as an alternative to RX's, we have it in the US.
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-01-2009, 07:14 AM
Wish you luck in finding something. I am currently studying to be an aromatherapist and the use of essential oils on my dogs have had stunning effects with fears. I have to learn the human body first, but will then be learning the animal as I could then help the shelters out here who have old dogs where a bit of massage would help their old joints.