Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
He seems to be scratching his muzzle and under his chin now more than his ears which is rather odd
Think may well be what I think of as displacement scratching, a bit like saying ok if I can't scratch my ears I'll scratch my nose. It may be best to get him checked out again, but I think it may be habit and because it hurts if he does it to his ears he does it in mid air so to speak and other areas of his head have become involved. When his ears itched it was a relief from the itching if they hurt, now they don’t itch it just hurts so he will not do it with such vigour or not at all.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-04-2006, 09:56 AM
The mites lay eggs in the tunnels they make below the skin. When the eggs hatch, the larvae crawl to the surface of the skin where they feed off skin debris etc. When they mature, they mate and the process repeats.

The adult sarcoptic mange mites can live for 21 days in the environment without feeding - this includes the carpets, bedding, uphostry etc. So, in order to clear up the problem, you must treat the environment as well as the animal, otherwise the animal can become re-infected.

All brushes, collars, leads, dog coats, bedding, carpets and upholstered surfaces must be sanitised - boiling hot water or steam is an effective and chemical-free way. Otherwise vacuum thoroughly and use a household insecticide designed for killing mites. If you take the dog out in the car, don't forget to treat that too.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by royv
The mites lay eggs in the tunnels they make below the skin. When the eggs hatch, the larvae crawl to the surface of the skin where they feed off skin debris etc. When they mature, they mate and the process repeats.

The adult sarcoptic mange mites can live for 21 days in the environment without feeding - this includes the carpets, bedding, uphostry etc. So, in order to clear up the problem, you must treat the environment as well as the animal, otherwise the animal can become re-infected.

All brushes, collars, leads, dog coats, bedding, carpets and upholstered surfaces must be sanitised - boiling hot water or steam is an effective and chemical-free way. Otherwise vacuum thoroughly and use a household insecticide designed for killing mites. If you take the dog out in the car, don't forget to treat that too.

Do you think they could still be alive then because he has been treated now for 8 weeks and they won't be able to go back on him to feed will they because of the stronghold which I have been putting on every two weeks. None of us have any bites or anything and I really don't want to start putting chemicals on my carpets especially as my five year old sits on the floor quite a lot playing. I wash his beds every week too and vaccum every day nearly. Would a carpet cleaner (Vax) help a bit or not?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2006, 05:05 PM
No Foxy I don't, but if in doubt ask the vet to take another scrape.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
No Foxy I don't, but if in doubt ask the vet to take another scrape.

No I don't think so either although doing another scrape wouldn't do any good because even though he had sarcoptic mange - nothing showed up on the scrape that they did at the vets - they only way to tell would be to have the blood test again I think. I will see how it goes though because he doesn't seem to be scratching much and he isn't making himself bleed which is good and he is sooo much happier
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Do you think they could still be alive then because he has been treated now for 8 weeks and they won't be able to go back on him to feed will they because of the stronghold which I have been putting on every two weeks. None of us have any bites or anything and I really don't want to start putting chemicals on my carpets especially as my five year old sits on the floor quite a lot playing. I wash his beds every week too and vaccum every day nearly. Would a carpet cleaner (Vax) help a bit or not?
If it is sacoptic mange mites, Stronghold should be able to clear them. Unfortunately, you do hear cases of resistance occuring in the insect world. A good steam clean would certainly kill them. Carpet wash would remove (& drown) a lot of them.

Are you cleaning his rear paws ? {in case that's causing the re-introduction}

Remember that the mites have to bite before they get killed by the Stronghold.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by royv
A good steam clean would certainly kill them.
Goodness not poor Foxy surely
chazkins
New Member!
Male 

24-07-2007, 05:02 AM
She's right about the Scabies in humans because I have it. The mites can never complete there life cycle in humans but you still get red very very very itchy bumps . The medicine she was talking about works but is not FDA approved. But, Dermasil works well.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 06:52 AM
Welcome to the forum Chazkins

This is an old post from last year - but I agree with you, I got scabies from a beach in Greece years ago and it was absolutely awful. Wouldn't wish it on anyone
chazkins
New Member!
Male 

24-07-2007, 06:13 PM
How did u get rid of it? Cause its killing me.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >