View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirstin_mad_dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2012, 06:37 AM
yes it makes sense, i have a clicker and a whistle just need the long line. or to walk to my friends as they have a fenced in green for dogs, really dont know why we dont have dog parks in this country..
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 07:26 AM
Firstly, I just want to say what a gorgeous looking dog Celeb is He is young and is now going through the equivalent of 'our' teenage stage, so he is an adolescent!! He is also just settling in to everything that is new to him and he is probably confused with the raised voices etc (I do know how you feel as I have two litter-mates).
I wouldn't worry about the poo eating at the moment and address that at a later time.
A 48" crate would definitely be the ideal size. If you feel you don't have room for a crate that size, the alternative is you try and get hold of a 'mothercare' pen/room divider which you could use in various shapes and that would prevent him chewing the skirting boards etc etc.
Any crate you could take down and just erect when you need it (they fold flat). Please don't muzzle him!!! The more he has the run of a few rooms the less it will be a novelty and the less 'crazy dog' behaviour you will get.
My dogs love stagbars (deer antler) to chew on which you can buy on line and last ages and don't splinter or make a mess etc. Make sure he has lots of things to chew on which will keep him occupied and help with teething.
Good luck and stick with it - it does get better
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:47 AM
I have just thought also, are there any tennis courts etc you could take him too. This was suggested to me on here a while ago when I began off lead.
Luckily enough, there are some courts round the corner from me, which are left open. So to begin with I let Bella off in there to give her a good run, threw a ball etc, and practised recall. I found, as I was more relaxed (I knew she couldn't go far) she was more relaxed, and recall was better.

Sorry - please take into account what everyone else is saying as its really good advice...this is just a little idea for short term, to give him that good run he needs! xx
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 09:09 AM
First I think the important thing is you realise you are 'going about it all wrong' are getting quite desperate, know that just losing your rag is not the answer and you have asked for help. Well done.

It's certainly not too late to start over from scratch where your dog is concerned. Your dog sounds just like most 'puppies' to me (apart from the eating his poo bit!)

You do come across to me as feeling a bit overwhelmed both with managing your dog and managing your toddler! I mean if you consider that you cannot even use a tape measure until your toddler is asleep! And cannot just nip out to pick up dog poo for a minute for fear of what your toddler might get up to while you are gone. You are obviously not feeling 'in control' of either of them at all and employing what I call 'fire fighting' style of managing reacting to the situations as they arise. My experience as a mother and a dog owner is that both kids and dogs are happier and more secure with a 'routine' and when they know who is 'in charge' and that should not be either of them! And both dogs and kids 'pick up on your mood' and it is probably quite worrying for them to see you stressed and out of control.

Just an impression I get from your posting (might be wrong) but it does sound as if all of you are spending a lot of time inside the house together - you are probably feeling quite tired but dogs and kids love to be outside walking and running around.

If you really cannot pick up poo more than once a day because of your toddler, perhaps get some sort of 'container' for your child to be put in for the few seconds it would take to pick up poo? collapsible camp cot, playpen, whatever. As regards the space a crate would take up - I'd be prioritising on this one if it is a necessity. Hell, I'd be chucking out a few CHAIRS if making space for a crate improved my quality of life!

I hope you've received enough good advice here to make a start and stick to a new routine/regime and see some improvement and start teaching some definite 'NO NOs' to both your dog and your child!

*I've only ever known one dog that did not grow out of its attempts to chew the entire house to bits as it grew up and that was a beagle some neighbours of mine owned. And that was only ever when it was left alone - even after it had been exercised long and hard before being left. They used to bring it down to me to 'babysit' it while they were out. Was good as gold when not left alone. If they confined it, it howled like a banshee the whole time instead! Could be heard over most of West Penwith and out to sea too haaa!
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Have you considered rehoming him to someone who has more time for him? Collies & Golden's are breeds which ime, have found need lots of exercise and input, having owned both whilst having a small child.

He must be pretty miserable being confined to one room in the day and another all night.

As others have said, dogs and kids do go together, but I think you have to be prepared to put the work in so that both are managed without compromise to the other. When
my son was a baby in order that my collie still got her long off lead walks around the local fields and wood,he went in a baby carrier on my back until he was 2 1/2. And then he had to walk.

As for the poop scooping, I would pick it up as he does it. It may mean training your two year old to sit with an appropriate activity which you can reward for the minute it takes you to pop outside and pick up the poo.
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2012, 11:04 AM
I think you need to sit down and make a plan! What time does your husband leave for work? Can you get up earlier and get a 25 min walk in with the dog before work? Once the dog comes home he can have a free (supervised) 20 mins loose in the house and then in his crate for a sleep with some chew toys and you can get on with housework and child. Later on take dog and pushchair out and follow the same pattern, walk, free play, sleep?

I have to admit when we first got our puppy the first week at home alone was the worst, we got him on Saturday and by Tuesday evening I was just about insane!

Going back to work and we’ve settled into a routine, he’s let out at about 6am, given breakfast and then we head up to the stables together for a walk. He has free rein of the kitchen when we get home and I shower and get ready for work. He’s crated for three hours whilst I’m at work, then I come home at lunch time, totally ignore him and just open the back door and the crate door so he’s straight out into the back garden, quick loo break and they we head out for a walk, usually to the park so he can go off lead and play with other dogs (as he is only 13 weeks I just drop the lead but leave it attached to him so he’s easy to grab). He’s walked for about 20 mins to half an hour (usually I stand in the middle of the field and we work on recall). Then back home and outside for a loo break, after that he’s given lunch and back in the crate and I’m back to work. The evenings are very similar and he’s let out and fed then up to the stables for more walking, he then usually has a mad half an hour or so running round the ground floor, if it’s warm enough the back door stays open and I keep a casual eye on him, if he chews something he shouldn’t I squeak one of his toys for distraction! Later on in the evening we might do a bit of training to calm him down and get him listening.

Our niece and nephew have been visiting the last few weekends and it’s very difficult to settle him when there are children around, he finds them far too exciting!
theo&milly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2012, 03:10 PM
I think you have had some excellent advice and there's nothing really I can add but I just wanted to say that I feel your frustration and pain. I'm raising my 2nd puppy. It's *very* hard work. Even working from home I've lost several weeks productivity because I have to keep an eye on Theo all the time. He is very demanding of my attention as well. I was in tears most of the first few weeks but I reassure you one day it'll click into place and you'll have a fantastic companion that you'll enjoy for many years. I really struggled with Theo but the relationship we have now means it's been worth every tear. I cant imagine how difficult it would be with a child in the mix but I admire your tenacity to want to change your situation instead of rehoming him. Dogs are fantastic companions but it needs a LOT of time and patience on the owner's behalf to get that dog to that level they arent born obedient and trained. He doesn't mean the naughty things he does he's just finding his way in a new environment. I hope everything works out for you and Caleb.
kirstin_mad_dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2012, 07:59 AM
thank you for all the advice! ecept the advice to think about rehoming him.....thats exactly what i want to avoid hence asking advice! i have alot of time for him and he gets more than enough exercise and i have braved letting him off the lead *touch wood* he was fine!

my 2 year old isnt overwhelming me shes just going through a similar life stage to caleb ie. she knows what "no" means and her rules and boundries shes just at the stage where she is going to test them!

he is also now only confined to the kitchen when we are eating or when i have to do something upstairs, he calms fairly quickly unless the cat is teasing him! he is still shut in the utility room at night but his crate should arrive today and they fold alot smaller than what i thought so i can put it pretty much anywhere
i have considered walking him before my husband leaves for work but that would have meant being out the house for half 5 this morning, he does get a half mile walk at 8.30 everyday though so early morning walks may have to be a summer thing
on the whole people have been soooo helpful and given me hope that i can change they way things are and have a happy well adjusted dog, others have been very critical and judgemental suggesting i shouldnt have the dog.........i am more than willing to change things that why i asked for help! if i didnt care about my dog i would just carry on the way things are or give him back!!
I have phoned the rescue i got him from and explained things and i am waiting on a call from their behaviourists.............
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2012, 03:06 PM
The problem with forums is that sometimes it's difficult to get 'tone' across and posts from the poster and replies to the poster don't always come across the way they would / should in 'real life' face-to-face.

I think it's great that a) you know you need some additional help and advice and b) you are here asking for it and more importantly you are responding to it.

It's clear you care very much about Caleb and frankly with a rescue puppy and a 2 year old it's no wonder you are having some 'teething problems' in more ways than one lol.

Sounds like you're already making progress! Hope the crate training helps - am sure it will.
kirstin_mad_dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-04-2012, 08:16 AM
Thought i would update,
after putting a mix of cayenne and hot mustard on the skirting he hasnt touched them since!

he hasnt eaten any poop, mainly because i take him out on a walk to do his business as i can pick it up straight away (he still wees in the garden lol)

he is alot calmer in the living room but the kitten has taken to teasing him so he runs up and down the stairs alot but i guess thats good exercise!

his crate still isnt here grrrrrr so hes still **** in utility room at night and has clawed teatowels off the side and weed on them!?!?!?!

he has been off the lead a fair bit and his recall is alot better but i only let him off with dogs i know so he wont be following anyone home!

he has taken to running around grabbing mouthfuls of grass as he goes, its the only time he eats grass so think its just play but now i guess lungworm is a concern??

other than that things are much improved, my 2 year old has become obsessed with him and likes to rub cocoa butter on his nose for some reason! she also lies down next to him and gazes up at him hehe!

thanks again for the advice!
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4