Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2013, 04:41 PM
It just makes me so mad. The farmers down here are a
bl00dy law unto themselves and seem to be immune from the law in most things. Granting the injunction in the first place was absolutely ridiculous and against one of our fundamental citizenship rights - the right to peaceful protest. It's just all so shocking.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
It just makes me so mad. The farmers down here are a
bl00dy law unto themselves and seem to be immune from the law in most things. Granting the injunction in the first place was absolutely ridiculous and against one of our fundamental citizenship rights - the right to peaceful protest. It's just all so shocking.
Its terrible, i'm so upset over it, I'll never understand how people can be so cruel to defenceless animals..not in a million years. This shameful cull has also opened Pandora's box to illegal persecution

Too right about the injunction, scary times. If the gagging bill is passed it'll be like living in North Korea!

/
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-10-2013, 05:16 PM
I am not going to read this thread. I understand after this 'test' the cull is to be rolled out across the country and I fear for the Badger set in the field next to my house

Coming from farming stock I appreciate the devastation caused by TB in cattle but for me slaughtering hundreds of badgers is not the way to address the problem , vaccinating cattle is the way to go.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I am not going to read this thread. I understand after this 'test' the cull is to be rolled out across the country and I fear for the Badger set in the field next to my house

Coming from farming stock I appreciate the devastation caused by TB but for me slaughtering hundreds of badgers is not the way to address the problem , vaccinating cattle is the way to go.

No its so wrong Minihaha, the scientific consensus is that it wont work & could even make things worse with the perturbation effect. Theres a workable vaccine already available for the badgers but they wont even consider it.

These articles by a Somerset councillor who was open minded about the cull are well worth a read if you get chance

http://mikerigby.org/2013/09/13/learned-badger-cull/

http://mikerigby.org/2013/09/27/badger-cull-2-update/
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 06:09 PM
du
Originally Posted by Noushka05 View Post
Hope with all my heart it is shelved but tbh I'm not hopeful, this government is so arrogant, they have ignored the science the electorate, they seem determined to kill the badgers whatever the cost whatever the suffering involved.

I fear the only hope for our wildlife is a change of Government in 2015.

Its a fascinating story, thank you so much for sharing. Secret World do a fantastic job don't they
I have had a reply from secret world

x
Pauline <PK@secretworld.org>

15:33 (3 hours ago)

to me, Tina

Hi, Jacquie,

This is what we were all worried about as although the cull is almost finished for both the areas, DEFRA is not going to stop trying to find ways of killing them. Derek Mead has been heading the Badger Welfare Association with the aim of gassing the ‘sick’ setts and leaving the healthy badgers behind. This all seems very attractive but is based on a man called Bryan Hill who is the only person in the world that is able to identify these sick setts. This is not based on any particular tracks and signs and is based more on fork lore shots in the dark. Seeing how the shooting of shooting free running badgers at night was based on a completely non-scientific evidence and has, I believe been totally unsuccessful, I would not in the least be surprised if DEFRA is actually going to try this ‘pie in the sky’ idea. It involves identifying sick setts and gassing them out using carbon monoxide from tractor exhausts – a procedure very easy for farmers wishing to do so very cheaply and very difficult for the anti-badger cull protestors to monitor.

We are doing all we can but the NFU seems to have the same sway, protection and strength of any political party.

Thank you for caring

Pauline K

Pauline Kidner
Secret World Wildlife Rescue
t:01278 783250

pk@secretworld.org
www.secretworld.org

See behind the scenes at Secret World without moving from your computer – check out our webcam!: Click Here!

Become a [a social network] Fan of Secret World Wildlife Rescue: Click Here!

Patrons: Anthony Head, Valerie Singleton, Andrew Lynford, Desmond Morris, Jason Venus, Chris Sperring MBE, Simon King, Wendy Turner-Webster.

A Company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales. Charity No: 1097119. Company No: 4672215
Registered office; Secret World, New Road, Highbridge, Somerset, TA9 3PZ

The guy they mention is he like a deviner he definately has no scientific reason for deciding whic sett is sick, deviner goes out with a stick to locate water,its totally mad to decide an animals life on something like this Gemini54
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Noushka05 View Post
Hope with all my heart it is shelved but tbh I'm not hopeful, this government is so arrogant, they have ignored the science the electorate, they seem determined to kill the badgers whatever the cost whatever the suffering involved.

I fear the only hope for our wildlife is a change of Government in 2015.

Its a fascinating story, thank you so much for sharing. Secret World do a fantastic job don't they

x

to me, Tina

Hi, Jacquie,

This is what we were all worried about as although the cull is almost finished for both the areas, DEFRA is not going to stop trying to find ways of killing them. Derek Mead has been heading the Badger Welfare Association with the aim of gassing the ‘sick’ setts and leaving the healthy badgers behind. This all seems very attractive but is based on a man called Bryan Hill who is the only person in the world that is able to identify these sick setts. This is not based on any particular tracks and signs and is based more on fork lore shots in the dark. Seeing how the shooting of shooting free running badgers at night was based on a completely non-scientific evidence and has, I believe been totally unsuccessful, I would not in the least be surprised if DEFRA is actually going to try this ‘pie in the sky’ idea. It involves identifying sick setts and gassing them out using carbon monoxide from tractor exhausts – a procedure very easy for farmers wishing to do so very cheaply and very difficult for the anti-badger cull protestors to monitor.

We are doing all we can but the NFU seems to have the same sway, protection and strength of any political party.

Thank you for caring

Pauline K

Pauline Kidner

pk@secretworld.org
www.secretworld.org

atrons: Anthony Head, Valerie Singleton, Andrew Lynford, Desmond Morris, Jason Venus, Chris Sperring MBE, Simon King, Wendy Turner-Webster.

A Company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales. Charity No: 1097119. Company No: 4672215

The guy they mention is he like a deviner he definately has no scientific reason for deciding whic sett is sick, deviner goes out with a stick to locate water,its totally mad to decide an animals life on something like this Gemini54
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
du

x

to me, Tina

Hi, Jacquie,

Thank you for caring

Pauline K

Pauline Kidner

pk@secretworld.org
www.secretworld.org

See behind the scenes at Secret World without moving from your computer – check out our webcam!: Click Here!

Become a 'another site' Fan of Secret World Wildlife Rescue: Click Here!

Patrons: Anthony Head, Valerie Singleton, Andrew Lynford, Desmond Morris, Jason Venus, Chris Sperring MBE, Simon King, Wendy Turner-Webster.

It just gets worse & worse doesn't it Ive never been more ashamed that in this day and age we can be so ignorant and so cruel.

As Chris Packham said - " science FACT not farmyard FICTION should be governing the fate of our badgers"

Thank you so much for showing us the letter from Pauline, this travesty must be breaking her heart. Poor badgers.

Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-10-2013, 07:32 AM
Reports coming in from the Gloucestershire cull zone -last night someone trashed a badger sett with a mechanical digger.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2