Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Have enjoyed this thread, nice to see the 2 dogs together and compare them!

Here is my breed, Bullmastiff

Crufts BOB: HOT GOSSIP OF BEWITCHED FORCE JUN CH

Westminster BOB: GCH Peerless I Am The Love Bug

I actually prefer the Westminster winner.
Face is nicer (not being as squished up), and the body just looks so much better - fitter and more muscular!
Me too, don't like the Crufts one at all, totally agree with you on this one.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 04:28 PM

Face is nicer (not being as squished up), and the body just looks so much better - fitter and more muscular!
I agree the face on the westminster one looks much better. The crufts one has a deeper chest and a little more of a tuck up than the westminster one - which i like, but overall I prefer the westminster one

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
You already do, different interpratation of breeds will differ country to country.

Not sure why it would narrow the gene pool though, as its not unheard of to import different "types" from around the world to brign new blood into your own..

They all meet the breed standard, they just differ slightly!
Yup I know at the moment there are some dogs being imported
I just mean in the longer term, some breeds are looking v different - for example I cant see a UK border collie doing well in the US
they are begining to look quite different - and so there wont be the same importing and bloods mixing

Basically I worry in the long term breeds will go in different directions until they look quite different - the husky is built very different and looking at the breed standard I put up the american one does not meet the breed standard imo
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 04:31 PM

the UK one looks fat to me..the US dog looks fitter and much more pleasing on the eye
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I agree the face on the westminster one looks much better. The crufts one has a deeper chest and a little more of a tuck up than the westminster one - which i like, but overall I prefer the westminster one

Yup I know at the moment there are some dogs being imported
I just mean in the longer term, some breeds are looking v different - for example I cant see a UK border collie doing well in the US
they are begining to look quite different - and so there wont be the same importing and bloods mixing

Basically I worry in the long term breeds will go in different directions until they look quite different - the husky is built very different and looking at the breed standard I put up the american one does not meet the breed standard imo
I dont think so, they will only go different ways if they ignore the breed standard.

Take the Boxer as an example, you may want to introduce a little lighter frame into a heavier dog, (import a US one) the US may want to fix a problem in a head, so they will import a UK or European one) a thicker set go for a European Boxer.

The US collie may want to introduce something hey feel is lacking in their breed and import a UK one, Vise Verse.

They are ALL correct, they ALL adhere to breed standard, its just Country from Country may see or want something over something else.

The US in particular tend to go for flashy/elegance and they interpret this to be lighter boned and more flash in the coat, but that doesn't mean the US Boxer bred to a UK or European will not produce the best of both worlds enhancing both types .

There is little worry over gene pools getting smaller with AI and pet passports.

Look at Yogi (last years winner of Crufts,) he is a prime example of bringing in a different type to enhance (or hinder, depending on your view point) a breed.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
the UK one looks fat to me..the US dog looks fitter and much more pleasing on the eye
I have to agree, the winner of the BUllmastiff , was shocking (imo) looked fat and short, I know Fran Kane kept saying size is not the be and end all of the breed, but I had to confess, was a little shocked at the one that got through.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-03-2011, 05:24 PM
I don't like either of them that much. I much prefer the US dog's head and arch of neck (it doesn't have a roll of fat round it's neck, it has a ruff of fur - very useful in arctic conditions). For me the UK dog is slightly too long in the leg (the further the blood has to travel round the body, the more energy it takes to pump it - a serious consideration in an arctic/sub-arctic breed). From shoulder to croup to feet, the breed should be slightly longer than it is tall (a proportion of 11/10 is recommended). By this standard, the UK dog is too boxy and the US dog too long in the back.

Originally Posted by gemma riley View Post
Very interesting thread!! I know which one I would prefer if I was on a sled for a 1000 miles!

Crufts BOB - Ch Rajarani Ezekiel

Westminister BOB - GCH CH Kontoki's A Bend In The Road

Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I have to agree, the winner of the BUllmastiff , was shocking (imo) looked fat and short, I know Fran Kane kept saying size is not the be and end all of the breed, but I had to confess, was a little shocked at the one that got through.
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Agreed!
I was just trying to be polite lol
The Crufts Bullmastiff has a roll of fat at the bottom of it's neck/top of it's back!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by MickB View Post
I don't like either of them that much. I much prefer the US dog's head and arch of neck (it doesn't have a roll of fat round it's neck, it has a ruff of fur - very useful in arctic conditions). For me the UK dog is slightly too long in the leg (the further the blood has to travel round the body, the more energy it takes to pump it - a serious consideration in an arctic/sub-arctic breed). From shoulder to croup to feet, the breed should be slightly longer than it is tall (a proportion of 11/10 is recommended). By this standard, the UK dog is too boxy and the US dog too long in the back.
Thanks for your opinion Mick, do you feel from looking at the picture of the US dog it could do its job - conformation wise?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Wow! Really interesting thread!

Prefer the Crufts ESS as I prefer the lesser amount of coat.

I dislike the Westminster Setters' coats - too neatly trimmed and a bit too long and the Westminster Irish Setter, including the way it's stacked, is hideous! Pointer looks fine though!

The Westminster Mastiff looks so much better than the Crufts BOB.

I prefer the Westminster powderpuff CC - I've seen nicer hairless CC's than the Crufts BOB if I'm honest!

Prefer the more streamlined look of the Crufts BOB Sberian Husky.

Don't like either GSD.

And I hate the cropped ears on the Great Dane and Boxer!

Other than, I like both.

West Highland White Terrier

Crufts BOB Winner - CH/INT CH KARAMYND PLAY THE GAME JW

Westminster BOB Winner - Ch Blythefell Fergus

Personally, I prefer the Cruft BOB winner - nicer head and I prefer the more rugged looking coat. I don't like the head/ear set on the Westminster BOB winner, though could be just the way picture has been taken, to an extent.

JMO.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 07:02 PM
nic - totaly agree, I like westies with the rough look too, he looks like a wee character

tbh I cant really tell anything about the US dog because of the cut of the coat so cant comment there
Page 13 of 17 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »