Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 11:09 PM

Rushing ahead.... LOTS of advice wanted please

Ok here's one for ya.

As most know my two are trained to heel, ringcraft trained etc, BUT just more recently, I have been having issues with my Bitch, as she was out of the show ring for almost a year.

I have kept up training, but not as much as usual, and it seems she has taken it upon herself to rush more than usual, when I am now trotting her up.

(She is fine health wise, no issues there, feeding fine, fine in herself, it didnt start anywhere near a season or tragic event, and her eating/feeding/drinking habits are unchanged, I've even told her to lay off the whisky !) Phew

Now, it doesn't seem to matter how I approach this 'alien' problem, she always seems to want to rush ahead of me, even when I have treats on offer, and she will stop dead, if she remotely thinks she's gonna get one

SO, any miracle ideas, on how I can slow her back down, to the nice gentle trot she had before for showing ?

ANY and ALL opinions welcome and I will throw large amounts of tomatoes at anyone whom doesn't play nice
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Have you tried starting her off walking then speeding it up gradually?
If she is stopping for the treat, I wouldn't give her it until you want to stop. Gradually increase the distance you trot her for when you're training, so you can get her as far as you need to (if you see what I mean) so start off with a few paces...stop and treat. Double it...stop and treat. Build it all up slowly.
Do you use a clicker (gosh that's becoming my mantra....)
I have been using one with the teenage mutant (I was a clicker virgin til then) and they are brill. You are able to mark the correct behaviour at the precise moment you want it...so that could help too.

Did I play nice cos I don't like tomatoes, but would gladly accept a jaffa cake.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 11:24 PM
At our ringcraft, if a dog is moving too fast they ask for the dog (and handler) to complete the circuit at a walk. Once the dog is walking nicely the handler can jog gently but if the dog tries to rush ahead they go back to a walk.

Does this only happen at ringcraft? Have you tried jogging with her next to you out on a walk? What is she like then?

Failing that - just tell everyone you want to show her American style

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Di I play nice cos I don't like tomatoes, but would gladly accept a jaffa cake.
Well I quite like tomatoes but would prefer a Jaffa Cake
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
At our ringcraft, if a dog is moving too fast they ask for the dog (and handler) to complete the circuit at a walk. Once the dog is walking nicely the handler can jog gently but if the dog tries to rush ahead they go back to a walk.

Does this only happen at ringcraft? Have you tried jogging with her next to you out on a walk? What is she like then?

Well I quite like a Jaffa tomatoes but would prefer Cake

You can have the tomato...the jaffa cakes are mine...
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 11:30 PM
As others have advised. Take the training back to the beginning so to speak. I had to pull my boy out for three months due to an injury. He went back in the ring and was a little eager shall we say, so I just went back to his ringcraft and took it slow.
My boy still has a habit of sometimes taking off and leaving me behind so what I did was do a series of quick turns and changing of sides so he then picks up on where I am and where he should be. Maybe easier with my bc compared to a Mal, but it'll get her thinking again where she should be and to pay more attention to where you are.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 11:34 PM
I would say you can't possibly eat a whole pack but I know that would be a lie

I'm trying to work out how you managed to mix up the words of my post when putting it in bold - Jaffa tomatoes, now theres a thought
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Have you tried starting her off walking then speeding it up gradually?
If she is stopping for the treat, I wouldn't give her it until you want to stop. Gradually increase the distance you trot her for when you're training, so you can get her as far as you need to (if you see what I mean) so start off with a few paces...stop and treat. Double it...stop and treat. Build it all up slowly.
Do you use a clicker (gosh that's becoming my mantra....)
I have been using one with the teenage mutant (I was a clicker virgin til then) and they are brill. You are able to mark the correct behaviour at the precise moment you want it...so that could help too.

Did I play nice cos I don't like tomatoes, but would gladly accept a jaffa cake.
Yes you played great ............ Jaffa cakes on the way

No, I tried clicker, and failed miserably. My fault entirely. My timing was rubbish, she was getting confused (as was I) and I kept forgetting the damned thing

Although I'm thinking more about maybe trying it again, if all else fails

We don't have any ringcraft anymore thats local to us, the one we used to attend closed down, and the next one is about 25 miles away, which I cannot push to in an evening, with the kids at home, which is something that really pees me off

Now this is the thing. Indoors, she's generally ok and not so fast, but outside, is when she wants to 'shoot' off, no matter what speed I start at, or for how long we do it at that pace, or where we are. The second I turn, give her a little tug and say 'steady' (something I have always done, indicating we're about to do the trot up), she's OFF, full steam ahead, like we need to 'RUN' somewhere ! I'm lost, as to why this old routine has developed a new 'twist'

Now there's a thought

Well I quite like tomatoes but would prefer a Jaffa Cake
I'll have none left to bribe with at this rate
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
As others have advised. Take the training back to the beginning so to speak. I had to pull my boy out for three months due to an injury. He went back in the ring and was a little eager shall we say, so I just went back to his ringcraft and took it slow.
My boy still has a habit of sometimes taking off and leaving me behind so what I did was do a series of quick turns and changing of sides so he then picks up on where I am and where he should be. Maybe easier with my bc compared to a Mal, but it'll get her thinking again where she should be and to pay more attention to where you are.
Ah, I already stop and do turns, but changing sides is not something Ive tried before Will definitely give that a go. God I'll give anythin a go if it will slow her down, I'm starting to grow an arm like Popeye
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Now this is the thing. Indoors, she's generally ok and not so fast, but outside, is when she wants to 'shoot' off, no matter what speed I start at, or for how long we do it at that pace, or where we are. The second I turn, give her a little tug and say 'steady' (something I have always done, indicating we're about to do the trot up), she's OFF, full steam ahead, like we need to 'RUN' somewhere ! I'm lost, as to why this old routine has developed a new 'twist'
From reading your post, it sounds as though she could be associating the word 'steady' with charging off. Does she pay any attention to the command inside?

I would work on jogging with her indoors where she is steadier then introduce a new word and praise when she responds. Then when you are out practice and see if it makes a difference.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 11:54 PM
From reading you post, it sounds as though she could be associating the word 'steady' with charging off? (Or does she just pay no attention to the command? What happens if you give her the command inside?).

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that ! Come to think of it, (thinking back now, on when she does this and her reaction), I don't think she's actually paying attention to that command at all as a command ! All of a sudden that 'word' must have a whole new meaning to her, which means 'GO' Any suggestions ?

I would work on jogging with her indoors where she is steadier then introduce a new word and praise when she responds. Then when you are out practice and see if it makes a difference.
Unfortunately we don't have enough indoor space to do it, it was only when we were going to dog club, that we had the opportunity, so the only option is outside now

I've also just realised that the title of this thread 'should' read as "Rushing Ahead"................. NOT - "Rushing Head" people will probably think I've been sniffing glue
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >