View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-05-2008, 07:54 AM

Shocked and a little worried at Ollie's behaviour sorry bit long. this morning.

Up until this morning I have had every confidence in Ollie meeting new dogs of all sizes breeds and colours.
We met a nice boxer this morning Ollie was on his long line as usual so I picked it up made him sit and wait as the man with the boxer put his dogs lead on.
We stopped for a chat and let them sniff noses, that was ok then the boxer moved in close and put his head over Ollie I suppose a dominance thing and Ollie growled they were both standing. So I pulled him back and told him no and he laid down the boxer moved in again and Ollie shot up growling and snapping at him and I apologised and was finding myself saying he has never done this before. Which he hasn't.
At the end of last week we met the Rottie he has played with since a puppy always on lead as a rescue and deaf well he tried to hump Ollie and Ollie gave him what for, he has never done this before either, Ollie is usually on the field and I give him enough line to move away, he couldn't this time we were on a pavement. At the weekend we met the Great dane he is 7 months old humping everything in sight and weighs 9 stone he tried to hump Ollie and hurt him as he pushed on his hind quarters Ollie let out then turned growling and snapping and again would not tolerate him any where near him.
He met two other dogs we know yesterday bitches and a dog but Ben doesn't hump they greeted one another and we all walked the circuit with no incidence.
I am now wondering if Ollie is going to be dominant and not tolerate other dominant dogs he did this with the rescue we found the other week when we brought it into the garden we had to seperate them, he also got bullied by a dominant Akita Inu the other month and told him off and we had to leash them. I am also wondering whether his experience with the Great dane has now made him touchy.
I never thought I would have to worry with him, but seems I might. He will be 2 next month.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-05-2008, 08:03 AM
From what you are describing I dont think Ollie is being dominant at all.

All he seems to be doing it telling the "rude" dogs he is not going to tolerate their behaviour...and who cam blame him.. he simply does not want to be humped by all and sundry

What is his behaviour like with calmer dogs, if he play nicely with dogs who have manners I dont think you have a problem.

In saying that, you dont want this sort of thing to escalate, into a situation, where Ollie then ends up in a fight .

I think as you know some of these people with these hormonal ,rude dogs, it may be an idea to remind them to try and curb their dogs actions, and try and avoid Oliie being subjected to this behaviour.

I am sure someone who has more experience than me, will be along shortly to help and reassure you.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2008, 08:20 AM
I dont think your dog did anything wrong at all
and he is not showing domonance
My Ben is the most dog submissive dog, he greets dogs on his belly tail pointing to them wagging, then he rolls onto his back when they get close (once hellos are done he plays fine)
he will let dogs flip him over to get an extra sniff of his bits he will let them do anything
he shows no agression ever - except when a dog tries to hump him then he gives them a face full of teeth
and the other dogs respect that

the 1st situation sounds like the other dog was being the agressor, dom body posture and I bet if you had looked before that there would have been direct eye contact
your dog was just responding to what the other dog was doing - and when the dog came back for more - what else could he do?? it should have been the other owner saying sorry

when you say he is letting them have it what exactly do you mean?? if you watch the interaction from both the dogs is he just air snapping and showing teeth and chasing them off, how are the other dogs reacting?? fighting back or backing off? if its just growl snap and the other dogs are respecting that then I would say its not agressive at all but teaching the dogs manners and you dont have to worry at all (espech when you say he is totaly fine with dogs who dont try and hump him)
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
From what you are describing I dont think Ollie is being dominant at all.

All he seems to be doing it telling the "rude" dogs he is not going to tolerate their behaviour...and who cam blame him.. he simply does not want to be humped by all and sundry

What is his behaviour like with calmer dogs, if he play nicely with dogs who have manners I dont think you have a problem.

In saying that, you dont want this sort of thing to escalate, into a situation, where Ollie then ends up in a fight .

I think as you know some of these people with these hormonal ,rude dogs, it may be an idea to remind them to try and curb their dogs actions, and try and avoid Oliie being subjected to this behaviour.

I am sure someone who has more experience than me, will be along shortly to help and reassure you.
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I dont think your dog did anything wrong at all
and he is not showing domonance
My Ben is the most dog submissive dog, he greets dogs on his belly tail pointing to them wagging, then he rolls onto his back when they get close (once hellos are done he plays fine)
he will let dogs flip him over to get an extra sniff of his bits he will let them do anything
he shows no agression ever - except when a dog tries to hump him then he gives them a face full of teeth
and the other dogs respect that

the 1st situation sounds like the other dog was being the agressor, dom body posture and I bet if you had looked before that there would have been direct eye contact
your dog was just responding to what the other dog was doing - and when the dog came back for more - what else could he do?? it should have been the other owner saying sorry

when you say he is letting them have it what exactly do you mean?? if you watch the interaction from both the dogs is he just air snapping and showing teeth and chasing them off, how are the other dogs reacting?? fighting back or backing off? if its just growl snap and the other dogs are respecting that then I would say its not agressive at all but teaching the dogs manners and you dont have to worry at all (espech when you say he is totaly fine with dogs who dont try and hump him)
Hi JB and Ben. He is fine with dogs who don't try to hump him he will say hello then like yesterday with Ben, who doesn't hump and poppy and Sadie he will greet them nicely then they all go on their merry way sniffing while we walk round chatting they basically ignore each other.
He seems to react more when they keep being dominant with him and growl and snap back. I agree with you he has a right to see the other dogs off and I do wish other people who know their dogs do this would keep their dog under control.
I think I will have to be more vigilant and say to them if your dog tries to hump him he will see them off and if they continue to ignore he may well turn. I am worried it may escalate into a fight.
Thanks for the comments it has confirmed what I have been thinking he is just protecting himself and has aright to do that, it is air snapping and growling but I think it could be more if the other dog persisted.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2008, 09:13 AM
You've got nothing to worry about. All Ollie's doing is telling the other dogs that he doesn't condone bad manners. I don't blame him really, I mean which would you prefer, a gentleman who walked up and introduced himself with a hand shake or some rowdy bloke who says cheers and starts rubbing himself up you. I know if I was in that situation the rowdy bloke would get a swift kick to the nether regions.

Heidi
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Fliggle View Post
You've got nothing to worry about. All Ollie's doing is telling the other dogs that he doesn't condone bad manners. I don't blame him really, I mean which would you prefer, a gentleman who walked up and introduced himself with a hand shake or some rowdy bloke who says cheers and starts rubbing himself up you. I know if I was in that situation the rowdy bloke would get a swift kick to the nether regions.

Heidi
That would be me too. I think I was shocked because up until recently he has been so good tempered about all this happening and laid down or sat firmly on his bottom. I think he has grown up and now feels old enough to tell younger and ruder dogs off.
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2008, 11:20 AM
I know how you feel Lynn as I have been having a simialr problem with Flowers change in behaviour this last week. Like has already been said, it appears that Ollie has simply had enough of been humped!! He obviouly likes other dogs, but needs his own space too..

It is a worry, as some dog owners simply dont understand the effect there dog has on yours!! I know Im finding this at the minute!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by flowisp View Post
I know how you feel Lynn as I have been having a simialr problem with Flowers change in behaviour this last week. Like has already been said, it appears that Ollie has simply had enough of been humped!! He obviouly likes other dogs, but needs his own space too..

It is a worry, as some dog owners simply dont understand the effect there dog has on yours!! I know Im finding this at the minute!!
My other dog Max was not tolerant to other dogs at all and we knew this from a young age and dealt with it and it wasn't difficult at all with him he had been set upon twice when he was a puppy. Seems a shame about Ollie as he has always got on with and shrugged off bad behaviour when he was younger but now he is grown up doesn't seem he will be so tolerant suppose its to be expected though he shouldn't have to take the nonsense if he doesn't want too.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Hades loves all dogs he meets...but he doesnt like it when dogs try to hump him and he'll let them know it to.
Sounds like yours is the same!
If he wanted to hurt another dog he would of, sounds like hes just lettinG them know...im not a bitch and I dont like that!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2008, 12:58 PM
sounds to me as though hes defending his Derrier,, quite a normal behaviour imo
My lot will not turn when dogs hump them but then again I do ask rather a lot from them given there breed,, poor suffering dogs that I have lol
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >