Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 02:56 PM

Can you settle this problem please.

We've just had the wall knocked down between our kitchen and dining room, which leaves a small beam across the ceiling where the support is.

We've had all the walls and ceilings plastered, and pre-painted ready for decorating. Now the walls are going to be a cream colour, ceilings white.....

The question is what colour should the small beam on the ceiling be?? White like the ceilings or cream like the walls, bearing in mind there is a wall at the side of the beam which will be cream......picture below, hope you understand what I'm trying to say.....lol.

Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 03:02 PM
The same as the walls otherwise you will be creating apaint/colour join in your wall/beam surface.JMO.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 03:04 PM
A wider view on it:

crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 03:05 PM
But won't it look odd having a small cream beam face either side in the middle of the white ceiling.....but then like you say there would have to be a line, where the cream ends and white begins......never been faced with this before....lol.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 03:09 PM
I'd agree with Fudgely.. you could paint the floor-facing part of it white, with the sides cream, but it may look a little stripey..
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Same as the walls, as it is still part of the wall area NOT the ceiling
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 03:11 PM
I think it looks part of the wall and would look odd painted white. But that is just my opinion
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Looks like I'm winning this argument with OH so far then....lol. He thinks it should stay white, but the beam is the same as the thickness of the wall, which will also be cream, so I'm saying cream, but he reckons it will split the room and make it look like two rooms instead of one....if we all agree on cream I'll show him this thread, and hopefully get it through his thick head

I did say if the wall was still there it would be the colour of the walls not ceiling!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 04:19 PM
sorry paul it would have be cream as its part of the wall

but then you knew you were never going to win no matter wot LOL
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 04:27 PM
If you'd have taken the whole wall right back to the main outer wall, then it would look like a beam, but it doesn't coz you still have some of the wall left standing there, so basically it's still part of the small bit of wall still standing, so colour same as walls. Just as a matter of interest why did you leave just a small bit of that original wall standing then? If there's a beam/lintel going across the whole length you could have taken it all out couldn't you?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >