Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 07:20 PM

Home, garden and FLOOD!

Just to add to my other, multiple woes, I got back from town yesterday to find most of the back garden under a couple of feet of water, which was steadily rising. By nightfall it had come up the side of the house and the lane - I am on a bend - was underwater for about 50 feet. The river runs alongside my field and the level was 2" below the top, and was thundering out of the other side of the bridge as white water. I rang the Gards who were no good as they only have ordinary cars so they would be unable to rescue me. I rang Paddy who keeps horses in the next field, to see if he had a number for my nearest neighbour. His wife answered, said Paddy was out but gave me Johnny's number. After another call, Johnny and his two strapping sons arrived like the cavalry in a 4x4 armed with powerful torches and gave the whole situation a good look. They said the house was not in danger although the water could come over the bridge but I was another foot up and once it had breached, it would go straight across to the other side. The garage, however, is another matter and is now ankle deep in the stuff. Johnny said to ring him ANY time during the night if I got worried.This morning, it had gone down a bit although not as much as I would like and it's raining again. Deccy thinks it's fab and I can't keep him out of it! Diva was a bit tentative, had a go, came back demanding a designer pair or two of wellies with matching hat so she spent longer indoors! Here is a shot of Deccy padding and drinking (yuk! bog water!) and generally enjoying himself. Oh to be a dog and never have any worries!

Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Well, at least SOMEONE'S enjoying it, Gill
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Oh no Gill, thats all you need!!!

Thank god you and your house are safe, looks like Deccy is having a ball though
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Omg,bet you were worried I know I would have been too,has the water gone down now?
Oh to have a dogs like eh?Those pics say it all,xxxxxxxxxx
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 08:00 PM
typical! deccy looks like he's loving it! really hope it goes down hun - are you ok?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Oh Gill you are having a tough time of it. I, like you, sometimes wish to have a bit of time off as a much loved dog, just to have a break!
Becky
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Glad it didn't reach the house.

At leasy Deccy looks ike he's enjoying all the water
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 08:15 PM
It's dropped a bit but not significantly. Now that it's dark I'm back to being a quivering wreck and keep going out with a torch to see what the level is. I won't sleep much tonight. I have enough food etc until Tuesday so I'll worry about that then. The lane became useable during today so at least I can now get out, and if things don't get any worse I should at least be mobile. Johnny says that this bit has always flooded but flows away from the house so I need to trust him!
I had a ring on the doorbell at 11.30 last night, it was Paddy who I rang first but he was out at the time, he was just making sure I was ok. As long as I still have electricity and keep my mobile charged, I will be able to call for help if I need it. Johnny's boys (who are very fit, how these things come to mind in the most inappropriate circumstances) have threatened to carry me across the floods and take me to the family home if mine gets flooded. I'm so stressed I can't even appreciate that fantasy.
So I should be alright.... just the nights are a worry as the back went from puddles to underwater in a couple of hours so I feel I need to monitor it closely. Don't want to wake up floating (my bed is wood) and Deccy won't raise the alarm, he'll be too busy sploshing about gleefully.
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 08:42 PM
OMG Gill, I thought we were a bit water-logged but yours is a virtual lake. Hope it goes down soon and the house is safe. Lol at Deccy though, he's having a ball
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 08:58 PM
omg!!!

dogs look like their having fun lol!!!

hope the water level goes down asap!!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >