View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2006, 02:55 PM

Working dog food - should I consider it?

Loki isnt a working dog, but I read someone mentioned putting their dog on working food as they are so active and they cant keep any weight on them, does this not result in a more hyper dog?
As I have mentioned in another thread Im thinking of starting jogging with Loki in the new year and agility I already worry if hes too thin should I be feeding him more or a working food when I start jogging and agility with him?
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Hannah what foods have you already tried with Loki?
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2006, 03:12 PM
He has natures diet at mo, hes had burns puppy (but he didnt get on with it) science plan and one I cant remember the name to right now!! Natures diet has been the one hes been been best with, his itchying is far beter then when he was eating dry foods
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-12-2006, 06:33 PM
I feed Vegas working dog food Hannah cause he is very active and it can be a struggle to keep weight on him.I admit that he does get a lot of excercise-his walk will often be around 3 hrs long in the morning alone on weekends and he spends this time running about like an idiot off lead.During the week he gets around 2 1/2 hrs excercise per day.

I tried feeding him the obligitory Burns,JWB,Arden Grange etc,but he ended up far too lean and i wasnt happy about simply increasing his portion size.I was told about Autarky which is dry working dog food and this filled him out with no excess fat.Price wise,its around £15 for 15kgs and cause its for working dogs-its VAT free!

But 2 weeks ago,i spotted another working dog food in PAH called Omega tasty and tried him on this.Cant see any difference in Vegas's weight so its maintaining him,but his coat does appear to be softer.I paid £11.99 for 15kgs at PAH so is even cheaper!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2006, 08:40 PM
I have been feeding JWB but have recently ordered a bag of CSJ, which I have heard very good things about. My dogs are very active, and Moss also works sheep between 1-3 times a week. The food is a working dog food but with only 20% protein, so not enough to make them hyper!

I suggest give it a go and see what you think.
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-12-2006, 09:36 AM
15 pounds for 15 kg bag? boy that is nearly free
i pay 39 pounds for 15 kg of Timberwolf
thats it! i will move to England and addopt 3 more dogs
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 10:24 AM
We use CSJ for Max, who runs around like an idiot, although he's not a "working" dog.

Since we started him on it, we've had no Boxer Tummy (runny poos) and his coat is lovely and shiny.

In fact, people keep telling us in what good condition he looks!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
We use CSJ for Max, who runs around like an idiot, although he's not a "working" dog.

Since we started him on it, we've had no Boxer Tummy (runny poos) and his coat is lovely and shiny.

That is very encouraging I was a bit worried about feeding a less expensive food as I kind of thought cheaper food = cheaper ingredients, but I have heard so many good reports about CSJ that I decided I should give it a go, especially since I had heard that JWB have been taken over by Pedigree.
gaz
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-12-2006, 11:59 PM
I feed my Gem 'Wagg worker' This cost £8.99 for 20 kilos.
If you read the contents there is hardly any difference between most of the cheaper dog foods.
gem is 8 months old and eats anything, ( i do mean anything)
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post

CSJ is a brilliant dog food, I can't recommend it enough They also do a working dog food too
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >