register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sponge
Dogsey Veteran

04-05-2005, 08:56 AM

Undescended testicles - how long to leave before surgical intervention?

Hi Folks

My friend has a young lab pup, he is 12 weeks old.....he was at the vets yesterday for the last of his jabs.......the vet mentioned that his "bits" had not dropped yet and if they had not dropped by the time he was 6 months old they would have to operate to remove them?

This is not her normal vet........surely 12 weeks old is to young to say that they have not dropped yet of their own accord?....I though they could drop up to 12-18 month?

Can anyone advise...?
Dreamon
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Bailey has only one descended testicle he's 12 months old now but I'm going to wait till he's 18 months before I make any decision, I have spoken to my vet about this and as Bailey suffers with nervousness, castration may not be the best option for him, so we have decided that if it hasnt dropped then they could just remove the undescended one leaving him intact.

If your freind had any intention of breeding from this dog it wouldnt be possible if the testicle doesnt drop, even if like Bailey he just has the retained one removed
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2005, 09:07 AM
Hi Sponge yes it early to say and my guess is the vet was being thorough and mentioning it in passing as in 'by the way have you noticed..keep an eye on this ' and that is always a good thing
doggy mad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2005, 09:08 AM
my dog fathered pups with only one testicle down and all his pups have 2 testicles down now
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-05-2005, 09:13 AM
I believe that there is an operation that can be performed to bring down the other testicle, if possible to do so.
Sponge
Dogsey Veteran

04-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi Folks

by what kinds age should they be showing signs of dropping?
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 09:32 AM
hi, my loki is 7 months now and he has only one that has dropped. my vet told me at 6 weeks that he didnt have any yet, so i was paranoid right from the start. northern inuits are late developers any way,so im gonna give him at least another 11 months or so, altho i have an awful feeling that im only avoiding the inevitable, but if i have to have him done i will keep him as a pet even though i originally brought him to be a stud dog. bless him, he,s that used to me groping him that now when i go to him , he stands with his legs straddles as if to say 'oh no, here we go again' lol.
Dreamon
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by doggy mad
my dog fathered pups with only one testicle down and all his pups have 2 testicles down now
I was told that it would be unethical for me to breed from Bailey (not that it was ever my intention to do so )This condition is genetic and Cryptorchid dogs are at far more risk from testicular cancer and from torsion, therefore castration is usually the only answer your vet will give you, my vet only agreed to having the retained testicle removed and leaving Bailey intact for other medical reasons, he also believes me to be a responsible enough owner never to breed from him
Dreamon
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Sponge
Hi Folks

by what kinds age should they be showing signs of dropping?
Ideally Sponge they should be there now, but it has been known to take anything up to 18 months for them to come down
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Normally both testicles will be down at 1-2 months of age and only in few cases will they be down before the dog turns 6 months. - what d'you mean by this?
If the dog is krytorcid will there, in 75% of all cases, only be one missing and mostly the right.

Small breeds are more likely to have this prob than larger breeds.

Since the state is inherited and can cause cancer and hormonal disfunctions, its better to castrate and remove the both testicles to prevent the dog from breeding and passing it on and prevent the diseases from thís state.

A pedigree dog bought with this fault will mostly mean a 50% reduction of the cost from buying it..at least here in DK.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >