Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 11:31 AM

Ripped off

My sisters (with the 5 children) tumble dryer died on her last week, having 5 children she needed a replacement but couldn't afford a new one. She looked through the freeads papers, found a condenser dry (so say brand new) for £135. Went to look at it, all seemed good. Took it home, put her washing in and after 20 minutes it stopped and hasn't worked since. Paid for an engineer to come out and he said it's far from new, although well looked after, and that the condenser was dead. She called the lady she bought it from and all she could say was 'well it worked when it was here'

Any suggestions on how we can try and get her money back, or do you think it's a lost cause??
Joe
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-11-2006, 11:32 AM
You could file with the small claims court. It costs £30 and it's easy
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Tell your sister to keep the ad in the paper. Under the trade descriptions act, this woman should have advertised it as faullty (unless she was selling it on someone elses behalf, then she doesn't have to say anything )

As long as it didn't have 'sold as seen' she might be able to reclaim her money back. Maybe a trip to CAB might help.
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 11:37 AM
I think it's going to be very hard to get your money back ;-(. Being purchased as a second hand item (not brand new) with NO written agreement. The product would be sold as seen.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-11-2006, 11:40 AM
I don't think she'll be able to do anything, as the machine was working when she bought it. That's the trouble buying private, there's no comeback.

Ian
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Hoggett View Post
I don't think she'll be able to do anything, as the machine was working when she bought it. That's the trouble buying private, there's no comeback.

Ian
My thoughts exactly Ian.
Sorry!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 12:07 PM
We've been in touch with the free ads paper, who gave us contact details for Trading Standards, who in turn sent us a template letter to send to the sellers.

I do still have a copy of the ad it says:-

INDESIT 7KG condenser tumble dryer,
never used, cost around £220, accept £135. 0117 9*****2 Longw... 04/11/2006 £135

So I've printed off the letter for her, we'll see if we get any joy, but I have my doubts too.

The worst thing is she could have bought a vented tumble dryer for less than that brand new!
Joe
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-11-2006, 12:15 PM
The ad says 'never used' but the vendor said 'it worked when I had it'. mmmmmmm
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2006, 12:17 PM
I think she has come to turns with losing her money.....which is a lot to a family with 5 children and only one wage coming in, but I will send the letter for her, you never know it's nearly Christmas.....the time for miracles and all that

Thanks for your replies
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Hi CC sorry but like the above I think you have little chance of getting compensation unless the seller has a conscience ..
If the dryer worked for a short time it could be argued it was in working order when purchased . Unless some guarantee was offered by the seller there is little you can do, it is a case of 'buyer beware' .

Still might be worth checking if it had an existing manufacturers guarantee and the terms, and with the credit card company if it was paid for by credit card...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >