Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hapi
New Member!
Female 

30-09-2011, 11:26 AM

High polynuclear eosinophils

Hello,

I took Frodo, my 4 year old Lhasa to the vet as he seems depressed,isn't eating much and just doesn't seem to be enjoying life much. The vet couldn't find anything wrong but says he has a slightly twisted pelvis and should probably go to an osteopath. Frodo has luxating patellas, but the vet has always said that it isn't worth operating as they don't cause him any pain.

He took a blood test and everything is normal except that Frodo has elevated polynuclear eosinophils. His are 1464 and the parameters are 100-750.

The vet says he's dehydrated. I always have a large bowl of fresh water down for him so am not sure why that should be.

He gave me some steroid tablets to give him to ease any pain he might be in, and if there's no improvement in a couple of days the vet says the next thing to do is to see the osteopath who will correct his wonky pelvis.

I put elevated polynuclear eosinophils into Google and it seems that it could indicate all sorts of unfortunate things, none of which have been mentioned by my vet.

Has anyone any experience of this?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Hapi View Post
...[snip]...I put elevated polynuclear eosinophils into Google and it seems that it could indicate all sorts of unfortunate things, none of which have been mentioned by my vet.
The problem with Google is that it can give a lot of information that is not easily understood by lay persons, and it is all to easy to get carried away by finding things that look scary to you.

I have had a look through and the simplest explanation is from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_b...ell#Eosinophil

Eosinophils primarily deal with parasitic infections and an increase in them may indicate such. Eosinophils are also the predominant inflammatory cells in allergic reactions. The most important causes of eosinophilia include allergies such as asthma, hay fever, and hives; and also parasitic infections.
I am sure that if your Vet thought it was serious he would have suggested doing something about it. Just giving steroids to ease pain does not sound as if he does think the test results are serious.

I do hope that poor Frodo feels better soon and perks up.