Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2008, 09:04 PM

Hand rearing pups

Hi guys,

I am waiting for a phone call to tell me if I am needed to hand rear some pups that came from an accidental litter of 16 and mum can't cope.

I've never hand reared before and these are newborns. I'm sure there is lots more to it than what I've already read and want to know particularly about the hygiene side of things - can anyone with advice please pm me (it's Lottie)?

Thank you in advance

Lottie
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Hi Lottie don't seem to be able to PM you but just to say are you completely hand rearing the pups away from the mother, as then you'll have to stimulate them after feeding to make sure they go. If you are only supp;imentry feeding with whelpi 7 can then offer them to the bitch for stimulation this is easier. 2 hourly deeds for the first couple of weeks all through the 24 hours. Hope this is some help.
Seppfire
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Hi Lottie,

I completely hand reared a litter of Sibes back in March & as GSD-Sue says the stimulation is important.
I found furry toys were good for cuddling up to & used a hot water bottle in the box - I know there are hotpads available too.

Watch for milk inhalation - we lost one to pneumonia caused by it, but luckily had antibiotics for another who survived.
Ask your vet for antibiotic drops - just in case.

The vet gave us graduated syringes for feeding, but to be honest, I think it would be better to use puppy/kitten feeders from the start if they are showing sucking reflex.

I weaned them on to raw minced beef at two weeks & they didn't look back after that
The two I kept are quite big boys now.

Prepare to get very tired...& very emotional!
Good luck.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys.

I've not heard anything since and know these pups were outside in last night's cold, cold weather I tried to get to them but there was nothing I could do.

Been trying to get in touch and haven't heard anything. I have a horrid feeling there aren't many left

I'll let you know if I have any luck locating them.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 01:36 PM
good luck lottie, hopeyou find them....

Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks suze,

I am only managing to find snippets of info. 5 died last night and they're still out Still can't get hold of her and still don't have a clue where they are.