Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-07-2008, 06:10 PM

Gary McKinnon

Anyone here been following the Gary McKinnon case?

He basically 'phoned-in' to some computers at the pentagon as he felt important information was being held back from the public, especially about 'alien-technology' having been reversed engineered, particularly to provide 'free-energy'. (Crucial in this day and age given the oil crisis, and the role it has played in recent 'wars'.)

Anyway, the computers he 'hacked' into had no firewalls, no passwords and were basically there left unprotected!! In fact he actually added some passwords so was making them more secure!

The US want him extradited so they can make an 'example' of him and put a Briton in jail for 60 years - he is more than happy to go to jail in this country, where he'd only get 2 years or so (as he didn't do any damage, didn't hurt anyone, isn't a terrorist etc).

I think it is appaling that a British citizen who says he was acting in the interest of fellow humans is being treated like this!

The worst thing is that an American citizen would be protected from being extradited from the US if the situation was reversed!!

What do you all think?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7533302.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7533755.stm
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-07-2008, 06:15 PM
I do think its harsh, but I still havent heard fully what he did while in there. I see your point that it was not secure but I do think everyone, average Joe to Goverment office has the right not to have someone else go snooping around.

With the deporting, I have always thought we should deport people to countrys who would deport people to us for the same crime.

I still think this isnt a black and white case and with govement offices and secrets they keep there is likely more to it.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
I do think everyone, average Joe to Goverment office has the right not to have someone else go snooping around.
Try telling the govt that! But then, that's a whole new debate!
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 06:40 PM
i knew they wanted to extradite him to the US but didnt fully realise what he had done.
if its about alternative energy i know why they want to keep him quiet. (oil companies ect) im a bit of a conspiracy theory nut (blush)
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Try telling the govt that! But then, that's a whole new debate!
Yeah, and not one I have the time to debate, not until there is at least double the 24hrs we have in a day.