Our sister sites
Our sister sites
vanessamarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2017, 05:57 PM

Thoughts about Meds/Puppies/Dog Parks

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you guys come across really anxious, scared, vocal, and just lonely dogs in general?

My dog just turned 8 months and he lives with my boyfriend and I in an apartment. He has always been scared of everything. He is an excessive barker and has no confidence and no self-esteem. Currently, we are working with a behaviorist (Dr. Sueda/Dr.Cho) at VCA West LA Hospital and they prescribed Peroxatine and Trazadone. He has been on medication for about a month and a half and some of his behaviors have been changing a bit. I have seen improvement with meds and his daily training that I have been taught to do (because he is way too anxious with the trainers) but I feel like it is unnatural for him to not be in a social environment--with other dogs.

I took him to the Culver City dog park (boneyard) last night and he was very loud but he seemed very curious towards the dogs on the other side of the fence. He was scared but he was happy. I took him off his leash and he followed me everywhere and we walked and ran to each corner of the park several times jut to keep him distracted and active. The other dog who was also in the small dog area was very timid so he left Max alone and Max was content. Everything was fine until 2 small dogs came and one of them (10 months) was very curious about Max. He chased Max and Max did not want to get caught so he ran faster than I have ever seen him run. He then got up on the bench and was snarling at the little dog. The dog, Oreo, was confused but still interested in playing with Max but Max was just barking/growling/snarling. He didn't bite Oreo or hurt him in any way but Max didn't know what to do--all he knew was that he didn't want to touch the ground or the puppy. Like a cat, he even tried climbing on top of my head.

I am reaching out to you guys because I have been doing everything I can to help Max build his confidence and I feel I may have sparked something good in him last night. I like hearing from different people because it gives me different perspectives and I know his behaviorist is going to raise an eyebrow when I tell her that I took him to a dog park and I even took his leash off but something in my gut knew that he would be okay and that maybe other dogs can help him break free and learn how to be the playful puppy he is with us at home.

Do you have experience with these types of dogs? Do you think that Max could ever be comfortable with other dogs and people? How does everyone feel about excessive dog barking at parks? I feel like socializing him can do him some good but I also know that every dog is different and that different situations could arise. Which could lead to traumatizing him--or worse--bite action.

I really hope to hear some feedback, stories (whether good or bad) or advice/thoughts/concerns about what I did the other night.

--Vanessa & Max
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-04-2017, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by vanessamarie View Post
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you guys come across really anxious, scared, vocal, and just lonely dogs in general?

My dog just turned 8 months and he lives with my boyfriend and I in an apartment. He has always been scared of everything. He is an excessive barker and has no confidence and no self-esteem. Currently, we are working with a behaviorist (Dr. Sueda/Dr.Cho) at VCA West LA Hospital and they prescribed Peroxatine and Trazadone. He has been on medication for about a month and a half and some of his behaviors have been changing a bit. I have seen improvement with meds and his daily training that I have been taught to do (because he is way too anxious with the trainers) but I feel like it is unnatural for him to not be in a social environment--with other dogs.

I took him to the Culver City dog park (boneyard) last night and he was very loud but he seemed very curious towards the dogs on the other side of the fence. He was scared but he was happy. I took him off his leash and he followed me everywhere and we walked and ran to each corner of the park several times jut to keep him distracted and active. The other dog who was also in the small dog area was very timid so he left Max alone and Max was content. Everything was fine until 2 small dogs came and one of them (10 months) was very curious about Max. He chased Max and Max did not want to get caught so he ran faster than I have ever seen him run. He then got up on the bench and was snarling at the little dog. The dog, Oreo, was confused but still interested in playing with Max but Max was just barking/growling/snarling. He didn't bite Oreo or hurt him in any way but Max didn't know what to do--all he knew was that he didn't want to touch the ground or the puppy. Like a cat, he even tried climbing on top of my head.

I am reaching out to you guys because I have been doing everything I can to help Max build his confidence and I feel I may have sparked something good in him last night. I like hearing from different people because it gives me different perspectives and I know his behaviorist is going to raise an eyebrow when I tell her that I took him to a dog park and I even took his leash off but something in my gut knew that he would be okay and that maybe other dogs can help him break free and learn how to be the playful puppy he is with us at home.

Do you have experience with these types of dogs? Do you think that Max could ever be comfortable with other dogs and people? How does everyone feel about excessive dog barking at parks? I feel like socializing him can do him some good but I also know that every dog is different and that different situations could arise. Which could lead to traumatizing him--or worse--bite action.

I really hope to hear some feedback, stories (whether good or bad) or advice/thoughts/concerns about what I did the other night.

--Vanessa & Max
How long have you had Max?
vanessamarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2017, 08:47 PM
He was 4 almost 5 months when we rescued him. He was neutered at 6.5 months.
vanessamarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
How long have you had Max?
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-04-2017, 09:26 PM
So you have had him just three months.
As a rescue, do you know anything of his background.
vanessamarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2017, 09:44 PM
So you have had him just three months.
As a rescue, do you know anything of his background.
I know that he has a brother who lives nearby (however, it seems as though they're hesitant to set up a playdate) I also know that he was ripped away from his mother at about 3 months. (very early) I think maybe this is why he doesn't know how to socialize. He has been diagnosed with severe anxiety, fear-based aggression, and mild separation anxiety. When we brought him home he showed zero signs of aggression---he just was very timid and scareed. He does very well at home--he is house broken--he knows his basic commands and is playful. We just can't have people over--he barks at everyone when we go on our walks and he is SO scared of dogs.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2017, 11:16 PM
I don't know the behaviourists you are seeing, but I am curious as to why you are ignoring their advice?
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-04-2017, 02:39 PM
I know that he has a brother who lives nearby (however, it seems as though they're hesitant to set up a playdate) I also know that he was ripped away from his mother at about 3 months. (very early) I think maybe this is why he doesn't know how to socialize. He has been diagnosed with severe anxiety, fear-based aggression, and mild separation anxiety. When we brought him home he showed zero signs of aggression---he just was very timid and scareed. He does very well at home--he is house broken--he knows his basic commands and is playful. We just can't have people over--he barks at everyone when we go on our walks and he is SO scared of dogs.
I don't know other than give it time. Don't expect instant results. Be patient and observe is all I can suggest.
vanessamarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2017, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I don't know the behaviourists you are seeing, but I am curious as to why you are ignoring their advice?
That's a fair question. The behaviorists only met Max once and all the advice and training has been over Skype calls. The day that they did meet him-- they had him off leash and he never went for them. Only barked excessively. Max is very young still and the only thing we have not tried is socializing him.

That night, I took him very late and I even waited until the other person insisted on taking his leash off. He said "if you're scared it's probably why he is scared as well."

I know that I should have not risked any other dog or person by taking him but I just couldn't shake this feeling that he wouldn't harm anyone.
vanessamarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2017, 11:33 PM
I don't know other than give it time. Don't expect instant results. Be patient and observe is all I can suggest.
Yes definitely giving max time! Thank you for taking the time to reply. Very much appreciated!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >