Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Aussiemother
New Member!
Female 

29-12-2016, 11:14 PM

What am I doing wrong.

I have a 16 week old German Shepherd. I've had her for 4 weeks now. To start off she's been to the vet, minus a yeast infection in her ear everything else is great.

We have made zero progress with potty training. She is on a leash all day and tethered to us. She never potties in the house when she's with us. We take her out every two hours. She will briefly squat but not empty her bladder. We reward with praise and a treat when she goes. She is walked twice a day.

The problem is at night or when we are at work. We crate her and keep her in the room. Her crate is big enough to stand up/turn around and that's it. We have used bedding, and no bedding she still urinates and poops in her crate. We set alarms for two hours and she's still soling. We recently went to every hour which is exhausting and that's still not working.

Food and water are last given at 6p, we have play time at 7 and a walk at 9 or 10 right before she goes into her crate. We use nature's miracle for accidents.

The past two days we tried gating her off on the kitchen thinking maybe the crate was the issue. We took her out every hour... Still peed.

At this point I feel like I've done everything and followed all advice from friends/vet. She's very calm in the crate doesn't appear to be anxiety and it's only used for hours of sleep or if no one is home.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-12-2016, 07:56 AM
Tbf that's really not that unusual, she's a baby and can't control her bladder yet, just carry on and she will get the hang of it.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2016, 01:41 PM
She's very young and, as trouble says, it's not that unusual. You have to really establish the habit of 'going' outside before things get better.

How did the breeder raise them? Often, pups that soil their bedding/den/crate have been raised in them and not given the option to learn not to. When that's the case, it does take longer.
puka
New Member!
Female 

06-03-2017, 02:24 AM
Agree with the other commenters here, it just takes time. I made zero progress with potty training for weeks and then it clicked. Puppies just have weak bladders, and some more than others.
bongo's_handler
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-03-2017, 06:19 PM
I know how much it sucks to clean a bunch of soaked pee bedding, believe me! Just be patient and keep up the routine. She'll get the hang of it
Wheeler
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-03-2017, 12:20 AM
She thinks that the crate is her home, thus she thinks that outside of the crate she can pee. Toss the crate in the dumpster and treat the dog like a member of your home. Telling the dog good girl when she pees outside also does not help, you need to stop her when she pees inside and carry her outside, then say good girl when she goes. Half of the program achieves nothing. I had my current pup in bed with me at 7 weeks on the first night we got him, when they get up to move they are going to pee, if you pick them up right away and take them out all is well and you praise them. The dog also learns that the bed is the den and dogs do not pee in the den, which is why your pup pees outside of the crate. Toss the crate take the pup to bed and live happily ever after