Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-09-2006, 07:53 PM

Anal Glands - May need an op

Hello, I have read this thread through and hope someone can help. I have a Working Cocker called Benji who is almost 2 years old.

In April of this year he had anal gland problems, the vet gave him an injection, some tablets and emptied him out. No more problems for three weeks then it happened again, tablets given again which cleared it for a few days before he started with it again but not quite so bad. Then I gave him some Paddywack (rawhide type stuff) which presented a whole new problem...

Benji would have a Paddywack everyday and I started to notice yellow strips in his poos, this happened for a few days and got steadily worse, then I realised it was the Paddywacks causing it and stopped giving him them.

A couple of days later he started bleeding from his anus, I supposed it was the Paddywack, passing it through must have cut his insides. I waited a couple of days and it cleared up, as did the anal gland problem.

Then he started bleeding again. Yesterday I took him to the vet who said one of his anal glands is badly ruptured, causing the bleeding, (didn't seem bothered about the Paddywack) he empited as much as he could and gave us more tablets (half a day for 8 days).

Benji is still bleeding, leaving marks wherever he sits and us having to wipe him a lot to relieve him. He licks and nibbles under his tail mainly in the morning before toileting.

My main question is - the vet said if these tablets don't work he will have to have both anal glands removed at a cost of three hundred and sixty pounds, (does it really cost this much?) I know there is a possibility of incontinence but at the moment I am forking out 30 pounds every month or so for a few tablets.

I'd like to hear anyone's views and stories about this before going ahead with it as it is a very big decision to make and Benji is extremely nervous with strangers so I don't want to cause any unnecessary anguish for him. I have tried everything mentioned in this thread, apart from a complete food diet (currently on Winalot tins and mixer with veg).

Thanks for reading, sorry it's so long!
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2006, 08:14 PM
As soemone who has 2 dogs that have to have glands emptied every 8 weeks I sympathise.
I spoke to my vet about removing them and he said that he would only do it as a last resort if a dog was needing them done maybe every 2-3 weeks as it is very risky.
Adding things like bran or carrots can work but unless the glands are in the right place it won't make any difference. I tried feeding Burns to mine but it didn't help and their condition starting to go down hill so changed them back on to their old food.
I have leared how to do it myself now so they don't have to take a trip to the vets any longer.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Both my Cavaliers had thier anal glands removed after endless problems and infections in them.
Our vets have a special surgeon come in once a month for things like this.
It was the best thing I ever done for them and neither suffered any after effects or any further problems, in fact recovery was quite quick.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Hi Benjismum poor Benji, it must be most uncomfortable for him.
Dogs use anal glands to excrete fluid to mark their territory /as a deterrent when scared so under normal circumstances the glands should slowly but contiguously be being emptied and refiling.
I think some dogs fail to excrete any fluid at all (maybe through a defect like a small opening) then the glands become infected and abscesses form.
When the problem is minimal it is a relatively easy procedure to empty the glads oneself without visiting the vet ,I have had dogs with anal gland problems and always emptied them myself. However I think in Benji's case the problem may be more severe in that the glands are becoming impacted and prone to infection very quickly after being manually emptied by the vet and there is always going to a risk of infection. I think I would discuss the options with the vet and consider having the operation. Do you have your Benji insured?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2006, 10:05 PM
One of my sisters Cavalier Spaniels had a lot of anal gland troubles and ended up having them removed and he was fine and I was talking to a lady with two Cavaliers a couple of weeks back and one of those had to have its anal glands removed and she said he had been absolutely fine too since the operation. It does sound like Benji will have to have the operation unfortunately My Bichon needs his anal glands emptying quite frequently too and I haven't mastered the art of doing them myself yet.
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-09-2006, 08:58 AM
Thanks everyone for your quick replies

Minihaha - no Benji is not insured, I believe the insurers don't pay out for this anyway as it is seen as cosmetic surgery

I'll keep you all posted, he seems better today, (2 days into these new tablets - Marbocyl?) there's been no licking yet which usually starts first thing in the morning. I wiped him as soon as I got up and there was still some blood there but it was much thicker and streaked with white, is this a good sign?

Thanks again,
Emma.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-09-2006, 09:05 AM
I don't see that surgical removal of the anal sacs could be classed as cosmetic surgery? They are removed only if necessary and are not externally visible therefore I would have thought the operation would be covered by insurance?

The white could be pus - I would check with your vet.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2006, 09:28 AM
My insurance company "Direct Line" paid for both mine to be done as it was for thier health, its not cosmetic as you can't see they havn't got them when all healed up, they look no different.
Benji's Mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks, I'll look into that. If it's not too personal, may I ask what it cost to have the operation? And would an insurance company pay out for it if I already know he needs the op before signing up with them?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2006, 01:33 PM
any insurance company will not pay out for an illness being treated before being insured with them ....i know many dogs that have had this op and have been fine after
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >