Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 02:47 PM

Squishy Lump

I have just noticed Wizard (greyhound) has a lump on his stomach underneth. He doesn't mind me touching it, its kind of squishy and moves from side to side when i touch it. It's about the size of a penny but oval in shape. I've got him in at the vets this Friday. Wizard is 8 years old.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have experienced this in any of your dogs and know what it could be.....would like to set my mind at rest while i wait for the vets on Friday. With the lump being soft and not hard i'm hoping it's nothing serious......
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Mmmm lots of dogs get fatty lumps and cysts as they get older and, in my experience, they are usually smooth feeling, movable and you they give slightly when you squeeze them.

Hopefully this is what your dog has got. Our family dog has loads of them and some of them are really really big, but they won't be removed as they don't bother him. Fingers crossed this is what Wizards will turn out to be.

Keep us posted!
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks for that, what you describe about your family dog sounds just like what Wizard has got, i can rest easier now instead of worrying away until Friday.

I just went into slight panic mode when i spotted it, it's the first 'ailment' he has had since we rescued him and like everyone on here i just want my dogs to stay fit and healthy for as long as possible.

Got my fingers crossed and will let you know how we go at the vets. Thanks again.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 03:21 PM
I think hard irregular shaped lumps are more likely to be something to worry about
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2008, 04:52 PM
My middle Setter, Jenson (aged 5), has a thumb size lump on his left hand side (on his rib cage) very similar to how you have described on Wizard. I did get the vets to examine him (as part of his recent booster visit) and they were not concerned - they think it is a fatty lump. They have advised that if it becomes bigger or causes him discomfort to get back to them.

My eldest Setter had a small lump on his rear left leg a couple of years ago. That one was small & hard and he had it removed (along with his lymph nodes as a precaution). I was worried it was cancer but thankfully it was only a granulomatous lump.

Let us know how things go.
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Gelly, our 8 year old dobe has two small lumps and one quite large one that are all squishy and sound like Wizard's. She has had them for a couple of years now. The vet took samples and they were fatty tissue not to worry about it.
But we always worry dont we .
They dont bother Gels at all. Im sure it will be the same for Wizard.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Pharaoh and Bizkit lurchers, both have these fatty lumps, pharaohs sounds exactly like the one you describe. Apparently greyhounds and lurchers are prone to them, they are unsightly and can get big, but they don't bother them at all.

My vet said they are completely nothing to worry about and she will only remove them if they catch on something or if he starts to chew or worry at it.

I'm sure more dogs get them, but they are just so much easier to see on the skinny short haired greyhoundy dogs

I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. As long as it's squishy and you can move it around, it's not attached to anything underneath.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 06:20 PM
My 9 yr. old dog has got a lump like this on his stomach too, but his is attached to his ribs and is quite flat and soft. I'm just keeping an eye on it for the time being, coz my previous dog who had a lump the size of a pea developed into a huge double sized golf ball size one on her shoulder all within 3 weeks, and I really don't want to go there with this dog, so I'm not having anything done with it yet! Another dog of mine had a big hard lump on her side at around the age of 5 and my vet said to just leave it alone, and it eventually erupted when she was about 10 and had to be removed.

All lumps are different, all lumps are suspect. A woman once let me feel her dog's cancerous lumps on her tummy and she told me emphatically that because they "moved" that's how you tell it was cancer, as her dog HAD been diagnosed with this. Well, my last dog who died of her cancerous lump, hers did NOT move, it was grabbing hold of her spine, so who do you believe???!!!

You either keep an eye on it, go to the vet and let him have a feel, or get is fine needle aspiration of it and get it checked out and that way, the dog doesn't have to be knocked out to do it if he/she's a good dog. Lumps scare me after my last experience, and that's why I'm just leaving my dog's alone, but checking it every day to see if it changes in any way, I'm not taking the 2nd option yet, he might well have had it for months and months without me knowing quite honestly It's very difficult isn't it? If you think you ought to get it checked, then you must go to the vet, and good luck with it.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 07:31 PM
hi
I recently took my 7 1/2 yr old staffie to the vets for a hard but movable lump on his chest. The vet did a needle aspiration and it didnt have any cells in it so he said it was just a cyst and to keep an eye on it and also watch for any others. he also said it is very important to get ANY lump checked as some that are cancerous can be very aggressive so the quicke rthe better.

good luck it sounds like a fatty lump - i had one removed from my shoulder last year and it was fine - wish they could do the same for the fatty lump that is my bottom !! LOL
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 08:24 PM
I would guess at a fatty lump, but you're right to get it checked. Hope all goes well
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >