View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 08:09 PM

Introducing a rescue dog to new people and other dogs?

My dog Moon, who we rescued from Vietnam, is released from quarantine next Friday. From what i saw of him in Vietnam he is pretty dog friendly, he has a very high tolerance to puppies (even lets them steal food out of him mouth!) and enjoys playing with dogs. He only had problems with one entire male in the area after Moon was castrated, and that's because the dog picked on him. Moon was anot aggressive, he just ran away.

However he has now been in quarantine for 6 months and has not seen or had contact with other dogs in that time, also when he comes out it will be a totally different world for him.

He is spending a week in London with me at my mums house, he will then make the trip to Gloucestershire with me where I live. Here he will need to get to know my house mate Colin and his dog Tsala.

Tsala is a lab x rottie and extremely dog friendly,although sometimes doesn't know when to stop saying hello with nervous dogs 9although she is very gentle). however she has never had another dog live at her house.

Any advice on how best to introduce them to each other? We are hoping, as both seem dog friendly, that it will go smoothly,. but any advice would be great.

Moon is wary of strangers, especially men, and I'm actually more concerned that he will have more problems getting to know Colin than Tsala. Should Colin be with Tsala when we introdcue the dogs or will it cause more problems? i expect Colin would like to be there. Who do we introdcue first, Colin or Tsala?

Any advice on helping Moon settle into his new life would be much appreciated
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 08:12 PM
I would say meet on neutral terratory, so say a local park, and in all fairness, if he is shy of men, I would let him meet Tsala (beautiful name by the way) without Colin first, as then when he is introduced to Colin, he will trust Tsala and her signals
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Thank you. With or without leads? It's quite a rural area so our local field is not secure, however it is fairly remote and I think moon is unlikely to run off, but we cannot be sure. However I'm worried if they are on leads it may makes them feel more restricted?

Edit to add - Tsala is Afrikaan for 'friendly one', she was a rescue dog who was originally called Carla. Colin is south African ad changed her name when he got her from the Dogs Trust. Her new name suits her very much
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 08:26 PM
slightly off topic, but HOW EXCITED are you that Moon is almost home !!!!!!

As for the question I think the above is the best way to do it, normal lead walk first to let them meet each other, perhaps then try and find somewhere secure to let them be offlead together and then move into the house...

hopefully all will be ok, and we expect photos !!! lots of them......
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
slightly off topic, but HOW EXCITED are you that Moon is almost home !!!!!!

As for the question I think the above is the best way to do it, normal lead walk first to let them meet each other, perhaps then try and find somewhere secure to let them be offlead together and then move into the house...

hopefully all will be ok, and we expect photos !!! lots of them......
I know, may i add a big excited SQUEEEE!
Don't worry, you lot will get so many photos you'll be sick of them! The front garden is fairly secure, although Tsala may still consider it her patch, I've never seen her be remotely territorial ever.
Boxer Boy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Some good advice above, I would just add that it would be sensible to avoid too many new experiences too quickly, until you are confident he is coping ok.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 08:50 PM
YAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEE!!! cant wait for the pics, Hasn't that gone over quickly, well I suppose for you it has dragged, but 6 months already. How fantastic for you both.
No advice as others have said what I was going to say anyway......bless you for the rescue of the century
Elaine xxxxxx
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 08:56 PM
With regards to leads, I would say seeing as he won't know the area, you should keep them on lead. Maybe get (or borrow) a tracking style lead, so he can have the freedom, but you still have the end of the lead.

Do you have any tennis courts near you? If so, why not let them off lead there together if they are ok

An important thing is to stay relaxed as he will pick up on this!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 10:32 PM
how exciting!!! 6 months already!!!!

i agree with the others, on lead at first and let both off at the same time when you find somewhere secure. also, i wouldn't artificially raise one dog above the other by always feeding first, or always affection first, keep them on level pegging and let them work out their own pecking order.
stay calm and let him work out men in his own time, don't force them to meet...
just my views
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 12:40 AM
Good advice given - AWWW WOW, you must be well excited

Looking forward to pics and hearing of Moons exploits.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >