Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-10-2017, 06:04 PM

How to check a roof gutter for blockages

Ok first of all what you need

A small camera that takes videos, in my case I use a Nikon Coolpix L26 which can be got very cheaply now.
You will need a memory card -AA batteries- insulating tape -a small goriila flexable tripod -and carbon fibre poles. I have them from my Skyvac kit

What i do is attach the mini tripod to the camera (yes I know insert memory card and batteries first) then tape it to the pole with 2 of the tripod legs inside to hollow pole and one leg outside, so this is how it looks

Next I insert more poles, in this case 2 more, to extend the camera up to gutter height as seen below.
(I know I know, switch on camera to video mode, i ain't that daft)

So now ready to video the roof gutter.

This is a video just shot to show how things look from the camera. Really weird seeing things like this to start with when raising it all up

Video

Why go to all this trouble?
Answer cost effective

My place they want to charge £80 each time and I have already covered the cost of the Skyvac I bought. Not only that, if not streetwise the next thing is" do you want to remove the moss off the roof" Quoting £400 and then it would be tile replacement etc etc.
This way i can do it wheo the job.

Hope this is of some interest.

No it can wait a bit longer before clearing it out
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-10-2017, 08:26 PM
Hi Barry

First, A+ for ingenuity and technical skill, and the result for you is clearly worth the time and relatively small amount of money.

Second, completely agree about these con merchants who knock on your door and offer to do anything on the roof. They know that the householder will not be able to check their work. We had some guy call not so long ago, found out he was from the 'traveler' community. Nuff said

We live in a bungalow and despite my exceedingly old age I can still get up my step ladder (when I need to) and either put the hose in the gutter or brush the debris along and scoop it out. Couldn't do that on your house.

Next but one neighbour had their roof pressure cleaned a year ago, it looks nice but my roof still does the same as theirs (i.e. keeps the rain out) and I don't like spending just for 'looks'

The new people in neanderthal mans old bungalow are having a completely new roof installed with new slate tiles. They said they had a big leak over their bedroom. A big expense when some new tiles and a contractor who knew his business would have sufficed in my opinion.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2017, 10:28 AM
My window cleaner does mine for me.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-10-2017, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
My window cleaner does mine for me.
And have to pay no doubt? Vacuum cleaner used ?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2017, 02:41 PM
Nope he does it for me when he cleans my windows and also does my daughters as well. No extra charge. Also Tyto loves him to bits. Which is a bonus.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2017, 07:59 PM
Good job Barry
Brilliant ideaNo need for me to check,mine really need sorted.Guess who'll be doing that then?
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-10-2017, 08:06 PM
managed to have a go at clearing the gutter, then it started to drizzle with rain so had to stop
However managed I hope to get what was in it cleared away
This is what i got out, which looks more or less what was up there