View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Diesel had his first raw meal last nite. Steak pork carrots and egg. He loved it! Can I feed him meat / vegs that are still frozen? I'm sure I've read it somewhere that some did but also I'm sure I've been told u shouldn't.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by Vodkalass View Post
Diesel had his first raw meal last nite. Steak pork carrots and egg. He loved it! Can I feed him meat / vegs that are still frozen? I'm sure I've read it somewhere that some did but also I'm sure I've been told u shouldn't.

You can, but what is the reason?

I tend to feed frozen on purpose in the summer (lolly) or by mistake (when I failed to plan properly).

It will not do any harm, but dogs generally prefer to eat raw at room temperature
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2011, 07:38 AM
After 3 days on raw diesel isnt a happy boy. Hes skin has really flared up and hes removed alot of his fur and a big patch of skin on his elbow yesterday hes red raw. Hes been sick a couple of times too. So it was back to vet another steroid injection and more antibiotics. Hes very depressed and so am i. Do i continue with the raw feeding is the question. I feel guilty and my oh thinks the raw is making him sick I dont know what to do. The vet said he could see no benefits in raw feeding.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Personally I would want to identify the cause of the skin problems first. It appears from your posts that the vet has been treating the symptoms of his skin disease not the cause.

Switching to raw is going to have no benefit for example if your dog has an allergy to dustmites.

Have you had any skin tests done to test for specific allergies? No point messing around with food if it is an environmental allergen which is causing the issues.
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2011, 08:11 AM
The vet has told me its bacteria that lives on the dogs skins that makes his skin very very dry and then very itchy he scratches and causes infection. he told me last night he thinks diesel doesnt have the ability to fight the bacteria.They seem to be moving away from th allergy theroy now and anti hestimine has made any difference to him at all. If i can keep his skin moisturised hes ok.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 08:15 AM
There should be a name for this though, are you sure it is not a yeast overgrowth ie malessezia?

There are some changes to diet you can make re this that does not necessarily involve raw feeding
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 08:24 AM
What exactly have you fed him? Your post about steak, pork, carrots and egg makes me wonder if you're feeding too much of a variety, too soon. If the problems are related to a food allergy then you want to really limit what you're feeding at first - this may mean feeding only chicken for the first month - chick fillets, chicken portions (legs, wings, carcasses), chicken liver and kidneys for offal. If he settles down on that then you can slowly introduce one new meat at a time, e.g. start feeding some lamb mince and see if he's OK with that. If you feed too much variety then you don't know if it's something you're feeding that is triggering this reaction, e.g. maybe he's intolerant of pork. Of course, chicken could be the problem, so if things don't clear up on just the chicken, you could consider switching to a novel protein source, i.e. one he's not had before, if you can get hold of it - turkey perhaps, or rabbit, if you want to raw feed then it will need to be something you can balance out as much as possible - going for something unusual like venison might make it hard to get offal, for example. Don't forget that treats can trigger reactions too - no point sticking to a chicken-only regime then giving him a pigs ear as a treat.
Like SB says, if it's a dustmite allergy then changing food isn't going to make a big difference so might be worth looking into these allergy tests. I wasn't sure how effective they actually are though - I've heard that dogs with allergies can often test positive to allergies about lots of things, that they can actually tolerate fine once the main allergen is removed from their environment. E.g. a dog that's allergic to lamb that's being fed this daily could show up as allergic to chicken, dustmites, grass pollen, etc. because the body is going a bit overboard with its reactions due to the constant exposure to lamb. Think I'm remembering that correctly, though I may be a bit off.
If my dog had possible allergy symptoms then I would try to rule out the main causes, so an exclusion diet sticking to one main food, to rule in/out dietary causes, as well as making a note of any other recent changes such as a different washing detergent, a different route we may have walked (incase of pollen allergies)
Don't feel like you have to stick to the raw if you feel it's not suiting though - not every food suits every dog. I would maybe look towards a high quality kibble with more novel ingredients though, e.g. maybe a fish and potato kibble, to avoid the grains and more common protein sources that can often cause allergies/intolerances.
It's a tough one and I don't envy you, I hope you get to the bottom of it soon!
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks smokeybear ive just looked up malessezia im not sure its that.
He does get sore ears and has had earmites his back is dry and flaky its very itchy. The he will scratch any area he can get a good go at with his back legs and infection gets in straight away. The vet didnt mention yeast growth at all.
I am so depressed with it all hes a really lovely dog and hes miserable and i cant help him. The never ending rotation hes on is not good he will gradually get better again now after his vet visit and in about 3 weeks he will be looking good. Then he will start his decline -he starts with his skin and breath smelling of urine and move on to upset stomach then his skin dries out hes scratches it off and we are back down to the vets.
Krlyr thanks yes ive been giving him variety of stuff i didnt realise that wasnt a good idea. What about feeding him just on tripe?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2