Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Ever heard of training?????

Sorry but dogs aren't disposable and rescues are full of dogs that have been dumped unecessarily due to a new baby coming along.

I had a rottweiler and a very excitable GSD x when I got pregnant but it never crossed my mind to get rid of them I just worked with them before the baby came (especially the 'leave it' command) and made sure they were never left unattended with the baby. As it turned out they were both fantastic with both my children

Are you going to rehome the baby when it grows up if gets excited around any future children you may have? After 8 years of loyalty do you not think you owe him a bit more?
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by ebradnam View Post
Hi,

I’m pregnant and unfortunately we are unable to keep my dog once the baby is here. He is so loving and so loyal, he will give anyone plenty of attention. Unfortunately he doesn’t get along with other dogs or animals, which is why we can’t risk keeping him with a new born.
We’ve had him for 6 years, he is aged 8 and has plenty of life in him. He loves cuddles and sleeping in the bed and will spend hours being stroked. He really is one of the family and I’m heartbroken that he has to go. Ideal home I would want him to go to would be someone with an average size garden, and who will walk him regular. No small children. If possible I would like to view his new home before. I can't bare for him to go to a rescue centre, as we originally got him from one and he was so distressed.
You'd actually be surprised how your dog will react when you have a baby of your own - they don't react the way you would expect them to, infact sometimes the complete opposite of what you expect.

Take it from me, mum of three +4 dogs

There is absolutely no need to rehome your dog at all, training and perseverance is all it's going to take, I'm still actually amazed at all the people that get pregnant and the dog is out the door Something I've never been able to get my head around....
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 05:20 PM
I really hope you don't have to rehome your dog, it will be a difficult task as he is already 8 years old and dog aggressive... You don't know how he will react with your own child, this will be a member of his family and as long as you do not push him out, I reckon you could make it work... you owe it to him to try.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Like others, I am going to suggest training and some cooperation.

I find it surprising you would knowingly get pregnant when you claim your dog doesnt get on with children etc.

Can I ask, when he has been boisterous around kids, what age they have been, what situation it has been, in your own home, in others homes, and how have you dealt with it?

MY son came along 3 years after we got our staffie from rescue, and he wasnt used to kids as such as had only ever met them out walking, however in the year running up to us having kids, I made sure he was introduced to babies etc. He was very good and this was a very boisterous dog who is highly dog aggressive.

He is the perfect dog with my son, and I am about to have another baby and know that he will prove himself once again.

I think you need to reevaluate what instances/chances you have given your dog in situations with children, and not assume he will be bad with your child because he can be bouncy etc.

he is 8 yrs old, not good with other animals, only suitable with older children and you dont want him in a rescue centre ? - How easy do you think it will be to rehome him? Having worked with staffie rescue I know how long our older dogs wait for homes and its a long time.

You have had him such a long time do you not owe him the chance to prove how great a dog he can be ? he will probably surprise you
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 05:52 PM
If you do decide you can`t retrain him, please go to a GSD rescue, not just put an ad somewhere. I`ve done a bit of rehoming and it`s horrifying the sort of homes people think are suitable for a dog.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
When I had both my kids I had dogs with issues and to be honest with my first child my dog took a distinct dislike to him but it's perfectly possible to train your dog and manage the situation to ensure your child is never at risk. You just have to think it through and plan how it will work for you.

Also if he's not good with other dogs or children he wont be the easiest dog to rehome either.
My elder GSD is not keen on small children at all, but learned to live with a child of 5 years old (my stepson, who is now nearly and now with my own son (who is now nearly 3 years old). As Trouble has said, it is possible to manage the situation to never have to put either dog or child in a position of risk.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 09:09 PM
We’ve had him for 6 years, he is aged 8.
sorry?????????????????????????

I really don't know how you can do this.............................................. .................................................. ..........................................
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post

Ditto
poor dog cast aside because the owner can't be a*sed to train him Sad to say would be way better off with new owners who don't treat pets like an old pair of shoes

Why not rehome the baby & keep the dog I know I would !<TIC>
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Some people have no will power. No true love to their pets.. Its just easier to get rid and forget, yous dont all think your going to make a difference do you? The dogs going to end up dumped If we like It or not. Thats what you get for selfish people that put their 'lazy' selves first before, giving their pets what they deserve....anyone who could give a dog up after 6years for such a silly reason hasnt deserved that poor wee dogs love for all that time!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Hi,

I’m pregnant and unfortunately we are unable to keep my dog once the baby is here. He is so loving and so loyal, he will give anyone plenty of attention. Unfortunately he doesn’t get along with other dogs or animals, which is why we can’t risk keeping him with a new born.
We’ve had him for 6 years, he is aged 8 and has plenty of life in him. He loves cuddles and sleeping in the bed and will spend hours being stroked. He really is one of the family and I’m heartbroken that he has to go. Ideal home I would want him to go to would be someone with an average size garden, and who will walk him regular. No small children. If possible I would like to view his new home before. I can't bare for him to go to a rescue centre, as we originally got him from one and he was so distressed.
Firstly you shouldn't have got pregnant if you knew your dog wasn't good with babies and young children. your dog has given you his love, loyalty and from what I can make out, hasn't put a foot wrong. Now you've got a new toy coming, you don't want the old one!

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
If you do decide you can`t retrain him, please go to a GSD rescue, not just put an ad somewhere. I`ve done a bit of rehoming and it`s horrifying the sort of homes people think are suitable for a dog.
I agree. Also, you don't have to right or authority to insist on going into someone's home to have a look around to see if it's suitable for your dog. If you really cannot be bothered to make such a small effort to be able to keep him, then please at least get the help of a GSD rescue, where they can do a proper homecheck, where the right questions will be asked adn the home evaluated properly (as well as the potential new owners).
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >