Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mof
New Member!
Male 

03-10-2007, 07:34 PM

Water on the lung

Our Dalmatian Hugo has water on the lung which is not being cleared due to and enlarged heart, the vet has put him on fusamide, he is only 8 so not so old.
The treatment does not seem to be working all that well, does anyone have any suggestions what we could try.
Many thanks
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2007, 07:45 PM
So sorry to hear about Hugo, Ihave no idea what you could do sorry. Just hope the vet helps him soon.
Bigs hugs for him off me and the girls.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Frusemide is a diuretic that gets rid of extra fluid, it is given to people and animals when their heart is not working to full capacity.
I know that sounds very scary, but my Dad has been on it for years and it is doing its job well and he is coping fine!
I would def speak to your vet again! Get a check up and a full explanation!

Hope all goes well with Hugo!
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Hi and welcome, as already said Frusemide is a diuretic and it may just need an altered dosage if it's not working as well. You really need to discuss it fully with your vet. Let us know how you get on X
mof
New Member!
Male 

04-10-2007, 07:02 PM
thankyou for your kind words of support as dog lovers you will know that you will try anything for your pet and its nice to know that there are people out there taking time out to support you x
ranjana
New Member!
Female 

05-10-2007, 04:34 AM
My 15 year old Pomeranian has a similar problem. She was diagnosed with it 3 years ago, still going strong
We give her 1.5 mg of Vetmedin morning and evening for the enlarged heart. 1/4 tablet Lasix to act as a dieuretic to remove the water from the lungs. ( She s small and light).
The coughing has stopped, otherwise she would be coughing all the time. She s fairly active considering her age.
Lately she has started looking a little frail, but I think that would have happened anyway.
Hope that helps and all the best for your dog.
ranjana
New Member!
Female 

05-10-2007, 04:54 AM
Should have mentioned that Lasix is the same as the medicine you are giving and Vetmedin is the extra and a medicine not available everywhere. My vet in Dubai gets it from the UK for my dog.
Do check out what the website says-
"Vetmedin opens up the blood vessels taking blood away from the heart, so reducing the work the heart has to do to pump blood around your dog's body.

At the same time, Vetmedin opens up the blood vessels returning blood to the heart which reduces pressure on the heart."
Before giving this medicine I checked it out and read a lot of good reviews about it from dog owners. Its worth a try.