Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
Yep cheese in moderation wont do any harm. But I am led to believe that dogs cant digest lactose very well (if at all, after a certian age) so if you feed to much i would imagine it would end up with the runs (just as you should really avoid cows milk for dogs, goats milk isnt as bad).

Parmesan is quite a salty cheese as well (well my taste buds think so) so everything in moderation really
Hi DM during the cheese making process when the curd is separated from the whey most of the lactose is removed along with the whey and disappears almost completely as hard cheese matures. Cottage cheese is naturally low in lactose so cheese is ok from that prospective .

Puppies are able to digest lactose but as they mature the ability to do so diminishes in some dogs because they cease to produce sufficient quantities the necessary enzyme lactase (I read somewhere about 78% of adult dogs are lactose intolerant).

Most cheese does contain salt and as you say 'all things in moderation' .
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Have read about 'clabbered milk' being good for dogs but i havent bothered trying to make it as knowing fussy pants it would be wasted effort.

They detail how to make it on landywoods webbo if i remember rightly (other raw food suppliers are available )
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Bakers = YUK
Cheese = YUM

'Nuff said

Soon as I hear Bakers, alarm bells ring!! He must be one hyper Staffie!!
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Cheese is excellent for training and treats, but as has been said it is usually high in salt and fat, so too much can cause problems.
Bakers food has very pretty colours and the shapes are nice, but thats about all. There are so many better quality feeds to go at. Best thing to do is look at the labels and analyse the quality for yourself.
Double Trouble
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-06-2010, 01:07 PM
I used it for trainng but not in large quantaties as it is fattening
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Ours have low fat dairylea or Primula in their Kongs sometimes and I take a tube of Primula on walks with me so as to treat the dogs. Cheese is recommended by trainers as it has a strong smell and the dogs know you have it for them so tend to comply more.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2