Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-03-2008, 04:53 PM

I think this is disgraceful. Do you ?

Mum was admitted to A&E on Wednesday after 2 hours of vomiting and passing blood. She called my sister who called an ambulance they arrived in A&E at 4.30 am. Gorden and I arrived at 6am. After several tests x-rays etc., she was finally admitted upstairs for her endoscopy suspected ulcer bleeding at 5pm 12.1/2 hours wait for her she is 88 in may. The bed had been booked on the ward for her since 10.35 am
They were having trouble getting patients up to the wards because of them holding everything up.
Mum was picking up but had these terrible pains through her chest and back, we were told Friday they would not discharge her till they had got to the bottom of them, she did have a scan.
They discharged her Saturday late afternoon no warning I was told they would phone so Sister had gone to visit then had to do 4 trips to get her clothes and back again, Brother drove up from Norfolk as she is not allowed to be on her own for a few days and he has a bungalow Mum has a stairtlift at home.
Sister then tells me there will be a prescription to pick up from the Hospital we volunteered to do this as she and her Husband had all the running around Saturday. After much chasing of Pharmacy and the ward it was eventually ready yesterday evening so we went to collect today a lot of different tablets some very important to help with the ulcer, two days she has been left without them and needs them so the Sister says today and couldn't possibly be left till Wednesday when he was next up this way so Gorden has driven to Norfolk with them for her. She was discharged with no medication she is now in dreadful pain with her back and chest and Brother is going to temporarily register her with his doctor as he is now worried and she cannot go to the toilet. In my opinion she should not of been discharged I am going to make a complaint I am so angry.
If you have managed to stay with me this far what would you do ?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure what you can do ?? If she now has her medication !!

Did she sign anything ?? Are you looking for compo ?

My husband drove himself to hospital in agony one night (didn't disturb me to tell me), left a vague note saying 'gone to hosital' I then spend hours the following morning trying to find him, got a phone call from a Surgeon at 3pm saying he'd had his Appendix out and to come see him !!! Got there and two 'suits' were holding his hand, making him sign a disclaimer behind the curtains, as he was sky high on morphine !! I stopped them and it turned out he was left for 9 hours on a trolley with a burst appendix, followed by a catalogue of errors that nearly killed him !

So, they never get things right, I think we have to accept that and try our hardest to help if possible !
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 05:05 PM
take her back to the nearest Emergency room
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I'm not sure what you can do ?? If she now has her medication !!

Did she sign anything ?? Are you looking for compo ?

My husband drove himself to hospital in agony one night (didn't disturb me to tell me), left a vague note saying 'gone to hosital' I then spend hours the following morning trying to find him, got a phone call from a Surgeon at 3pm saying he'd had his Appendix out and to come see him !!! Got there and two 'suits' were holding his hand, making him sign a disclaimer behind the curtains, as he was sky high on morphine !! I stopped them and it turned out he was left for 9 hours on a trolley with a burst appendix, followed by a catalogue of errors that nearly killed him !

So, they never get things right, I think we have to accept that and try our hardest to help if possible !
Not looking for compensation, I think they should not of discharged her without medication as the Sister on the ward today said she should of had enough to of covered her till these were ready. They are very important according to the Sister on duty today. Just hoping to stop it happening again I know it probably won't but at least I will of tried to stop it happening again.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Poor mum. Yes, Lynn, I would be complaining
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
take her back to the nearest Emergency room
Brother will take doctors advice tomorrow he doesn't want to move her out of the house at the moment. If he think it necessary he will call an ambulance.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Lynn if that was my Mother, I'd certainly complain.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Definitely complain If that was my mum, you'd be peeling me off the ceiling
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Definately complain , thats a disgrace especially with a woman of her age haven to wait so long ,I would be fuming xxdk
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Poor mum. Yes, Lynn, I would be complaining
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Lynn if that was my Mother, I'd certainly complain.
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Definitely complain If that was my mum, you'd be peeling me off the ceiling
Thanks all I was fuming but trying to be composed and not fire the situation if I was going to complain which I am.
Gorden popped in to see her and he says where she looked better Friday when we saw her in hospital, she now looks halfway between when she was admitted Wednesday and when we saw her on Friday, my Brother does not panic but he is worried about her so she must be bad.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >