Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 02:46 AM

Advice re. Raw bones please

Thinking about my next DAF delivery and wondering about feeding more variety of bones, at the moment all they have is chicken wings and carcasses, duck wings and they've had lambs heads. DAF offer mixed pork bones and mixed beef bones do I'm wondering if these are okay to feed or wether people reccomend to stay away from them? Iv heard a lot of controversy regarding pork, so should I stay away from it? Also beef, wouldn't mixed beef bones include weight bearing bones, which is reccomended to stay away from??

Any help/ advice is greatly appreciated
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 06:54 AM
I give my dog beef bones with no harm or bad experiences.

She has had pork ribs which doesnt take her long to chew through.

Though to be honest if you feed your dogs chicken carcases I can hardly see how any other type of bone is any more dangerous.

It all depends on how the dog takes to it.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Dillon gets pork ribs with no ill effects. I suppose its a try and see thing, some dogs can tolerate lamb others can't some can tolerate pork others can't. There are some dogs that cannot tolerate chicken.

The beef bones should be fine just beware of weight bearing bones some dogs have been known to break teeth on the weight bearing bones.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Kate - just go for it. Pork bones are a little more meaty but they aren't as small, Lamb bones are ok, you get mixed bunches, some bags you have huge bones in and others just smaller ones. Beef bones tend to be bits of the spine, mine eat them well, I may have bits of bone lying around the house, but I only give bones as a recreational meal anyway - to calm them down at night or when we have guests.

But I can only go on what I've got. I'd suggest any queries be voiced to DAF - then you get the right answer
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Thanks everyone. Aimee- I may ring them when I get home and ask about the bones thanks
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Warning - this is a cheeky post!

When you get an answer from her can you post it on here please?
I was thinking the same but wasn't sure - especially awkward cos I have one dog on raw and one which just can't tolerate it so I can't have bones hanging around for long. Chicken ones are good cos they don't last 2 minutes but still keep him 'regular'!

Em x
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 09:44 PM
I used to feed Jake pork ribs, and they never did him any harm... He won't eat pork now though I heard that in America, they are advised to not feed raw pork, but that it isn't an issue here.

I also feed beef bones, but Jake isn't a hard chewer so I don't see them as a problem for him.