Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg
When food is removed from dogs, they can easily become worried about this, and start to guard it.

Don't ever take away your dog's food bowl - this is old fashioned, bad advice, not sure where you got this from?
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i dont agree with that. i dont take jakes food bowl off him, but i think it is extremely important that dogs get used to people being close to them when they eat, and are able to get food they shouldnt have taken off them. i had a friend whose dog was extremely food aggressive, and it was something i didnt want jake to be like so i made sure he was used to people being close to him, and that he got used to food being taken off him. i think it is important for both their and others safety.
I think Hali has put it very well, as has Wilbar - I can't really add anything, except just agree that as Hali says, some dogs will cope with this but many (most) won't and will start to food guard - ie, the owner has effectively taught the dog to guard the food bowl

To a dog, 2 things are often the highlight of the day - walks and food. So to give a dog food and then stand around and perhaps take it away for a moment is unfair.

I agree dogs need to accept people around etc but this can be taught in a different way, such as adding food to the bowl, rather than taking anything away

I've met too many owners who have said that they've always trained dogs to have their food taken away, but the most recent dog has become "guardy". They then usually up the confrontation until they call in someone to help

My own dog, will trust me to remove her food or hold her bowl, but it's never as a matter of course, only in a particular situation (eg this weekend, when she had a problem getting to the bowl on the floor, I held it for her). I believe generally dogs need peace when eating, as I do

I also train separate retrieves and leaves, so that tends to cover what we need.

Wys
x
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3