Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 05:46 PM

Raw Diet - Trial Run!

After reading that many people favour the raw diets for their dogs, I decided to try mine with some raw meat.

I was merely shopping in the supermarket and as I wandered past the chilled meat section, kinda had that "Hmmm....I wonder" thought. Now, I know very little about feeding raw (although i'm starting my research now) so just got chicken breast fillets and turkey mince. I have to confess that I added some wholegrain rice to the meat before I gave it the dogs to soften the blow!

It went down a treat with Flynn but then he will eat anything edible and many things non edible also. The fillets went down whole as he's a terrible gulper and he seemed to enjoy the change.

Jed was a different kettle of fish! The rice was the first to be consumed by gingerly licking it off the meat. Then he ate the turkey mince through what seemed to be gritted teeth and lots of half attempts at spitting it out.
He didnt touch the chicken breast and as he's such a slow and delicate eater, I thought maybe chopping it into smaller pieces would be the answer. Alas no, he wouldnt touch it so Flynn was the beneficiary of that!

Did anybody else have trouble switching their dogs over? I have read where many dogs do not know what it is because they are used to the smell of kibble but Jed just didnt appear to like the taste of it very much.

I dont think i'm going to feed them solely on a raw diet as I don't have the room to store it and dont have the room for an extra freezer but I would like a large portion of their diet to be raw.
red collar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Mine absolutely hates chicken however I present it. If it was the last thing on earth to eat she would still have a good think about whether it was worth eating it to stay alive but it would be a tough call . All other raw meat goes down a treat but not chicken. I've heard quite a few people say the same thing.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 05:55 PM
I'm no expert on this BARF, but all I will say is, I don't think it's good to just change over suddenly just like that? I've never altered my dog's food without introducing new food slowly, so their system gets used to it. I wouldn't change an old dog to a different diet either, but that's just my own total opinion. When you think about it, a dog's system has been used to whatever for a number of years, and then when it's getting old and tired, you suddenly throw something alien into it! Don't think that's a good idea somehow!

Having said that, I like the idea of raw, and if I ever got a new dog that's what he/she would get if he/she was young enough to start them off. My current dog gets raw occasionally, such as marrow bones, or some diced meat, but that's just occasionally coz he's pushing 9 and I really wouldn't want to suddenly change him over.

Good luck with it though, but I think your other dog is trying to tell you something!Lol!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 06:43 PM
I did a bit of reading before I fed them it tonight and what I read said to just switch them over. Give raw one day, kibble the next until they are more used to it. They've already had kibble for breakfast and I was going to mix the raw in with tonights kibble but it said just change over so thats what I did.
I guess the next day or two will decide if that was the right thing to do or not!

I dont have old dogs, one isnt even 2 yet and the other is 9months so their stomachs shouldnt be as sensitive (she says with fingers crossed!)

I was telling my mum about wanting to give them some raw stuff and I dont think she was convinced. She kept harping on about worms and dogs shouldnt eat bones and how their stomachs cant cope with such food because they're domesticated.

Still, i'd like to give it a go but I think a slow introduction might be the way forward!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I did a bit of reading before I fed them it tonight and what I read said to just switch them over. Give raw one day, kibble the next until they are more used to it. They've already had kibble for breakfast and I was going to mix the raw in with tonights kibble but it said just change over so thats what I did.
I guess the next day or two will decide if that was the right thing to do or not!

I dont have old dogs, one isnt even 2 yet and the other is 9months so their stomachs shouldnt be as sensitive (she says with fingers crossed!)

I was telling my mum about wanting to give them some raw stuff and I dont think she was convinced. She kept harping on about worms and dogs shouldnt eat bones and how their stomachs cant cope with such food because they're domesticated.

Still, i'd like to give it a go but I think a slow introduction might be the way forward!
I think that speaks for itself there? Maybe over 5 days or so, that's how I always did it with my horse when changing feeds, coz with horses it's absolutely imperative to do things slowly! I hope all is well, it should be, raw to me is a good thing if you can feed it. I think to keep their normal food going, but start adding the raw, until you can change completely. Someone will know, I'm no expert on this! Good luck with it
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 06:58 PM
horses have totally different digestive systems than dogs and they are vegetarian my dogs get different food everyday sometimes cooked sometimes raw sometimes kibble depending on whats on sale in the meat section or how busy we are, they never have any ill effects in fact they love it.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 07:06 PM
I can swap and change between any number of foods with no ill effects if they have eaten it before. If it's something they havent eaten before, e.g a new brand of complete, then they tend to have temporary problems!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Yes, so do mine when it's something completely different. YOu seem to know what you're doing, so carry on with it I'd say
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 08:02 PM
It's not a good idea to chop and change between raw and kibble, as they both digest at different rates through the system, the raw being slower, so they will interefere with each other digesting.

The best way to change to raw is just do it. A dogs digestive system is perfectly adapted to raw and provided the right proteins etc along with everything else is given in the right amounts, you shouldnt have any problems. But once you stop kibble, dont keep giving bits of it.

I would do some good reading first, get one of Tom Lonsdales books or join the barf forum for advice
wilmasmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-12-2007, 10:18 PM
I first started raw feeding with my poodle tara(now at the bridge) when she was 11,just changed straight over,kibble one day raw the next .
When i had wilma at 9 weeks her first meal was a chicken wing ,she had been weaned on autarky but i have never had any in my house.
Never had a problem with either,no squits or sickness,may be i was just lucky.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »