Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
corbiesmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2005, 12:35 PM

Help Stamp Out Animal Cruelty

Not sure if this has already been posted?

Following the harrowing pictures printed in the UK's tabloid newspaper The Sun of a dalmation hung from a tree to die by youths, The Sun is petitioning the government for stricter sentences when it comes to animal cruelty. The RSPCA urged The Sun to print the photo in a bid to catch the monsters who did it. The poor owners are heartbroken as you can imagine.

If you are able, please take the time to print and fill in the petition and send it off. I've done mine... the stories are truely heartbreaking and this should be stopped! Please copy and forward to as many people as you can. I've listed on all the forums I belong to and people are forwarding to their friends, etc... every signle one signed and sent will help!

Click below to get the story with links for printable petition:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005470533,00.html

THE Sun today launches its Stamp It Out campaign to fight cruelty to animals.
Below are the shocking pictures of maimed, neglected and murdered pets. We know they will cause distress — but want them to spark a backlash against the warped monsters behind such cruelty.

They bring shame on an animal-loving nation — just like the case of the hanged dalmatian pup we described on Tuesday.

And yet those responsible face a maximum penalty of just SIX MONTHS in jail or a £5,000 fine. We believe the penalties for such sadistic crimes must be much tougher.

This year 70,000 pets have been brutally tortured or killed in Britain. Cases of ill-treatment soared by 78 per cent.

But the law currently used to prosecute animal cruelty, the Protection of Animals Act 1911, is woefully out-dated.

And so The Sun is joining the RSPCA in urging the Government to bring in longer jail sentences, bigger £20,000 fines and more lifetime banning orders on keeping pets.

John Rolls, the RSPCA’s director of animal welfare, said: “At the moment people are often getting just a fine for this type of cruelty. Prison sentences are rare.

“If people are capable of hanging a dog in the vile way that dalmatian died in Barnsley, then you really do need a deterrent.

“To treat a defenceless animal in this way is unforgivable and we want tough penalties. The punishment must fit the crime.”

Print out and sign our petition above demanding law reform and send it in. We will foward them to Environment Secretary Margaret Beckett.

Print a copy of the petition by clicking on the image above and following the instructions.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-10-2005, 01:44 PM
It is a sad fact of life you will never stamp out animal cruelty or many of the other things humans do each other and other living creatures... people do terrible things because they are unable to feel empathy or have any respect for life.
Hysterical campaigns in 'newspapers' do nothing to help...they can't stop those incapable of feeling or prevent them doing the things they do .
The best thing we can all do is to play our own small part and help where and when we can with any living thing that needs our help
corbiesmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2005, 01:52 PM
This campaign is hoping to change the punishments these evil people get (which at the moment, are hardly worth the paper written on), and has the full backing from the RSPCA.

This was the latest news this morning, so every little bit helps:
A MAJOR crackdown on animal cruelty was announced yesterday in a huge victory for The Sun.

Torturers will face LIFE bans from keeping pets, doubled jail terms and £20,000 fines.

Yes, there will always be those intent on harming any living creature, including human beings not just animals, but we get much stiffer sentences when it comes to murdering one of our own kind... let's hope the same will soon apply with regards to animals.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2005, 02:02 PM
I was delighted to read in the Sun that the laws are to be tightened to help stamp out cruelty. There is often a link between people who are cruel to animals often go on to commit human abuse/murder etc also. Perhaps if they get stiffer sentancing in the beginning it may stop this happening?

My heart broke seeing all those examples The Sun printed of various forms of cruelty, it makes me ashamed to be a human being at times
sambo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Have to say i read the sun and it reduced me to tears i cant understand why people even children can do such a thing if it were left to me i would lock them up and throw away the key or worse if i could have 5 minutes in a room with them.

I have completed and posted my petition form the paper.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-10-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by corbiesmum
[I]a huge victory for The Sun.
This paper don't care about dogs/animals they just care about how many papers it sells you talking about a paper that said that ppl were robbing the dead & dieing at the Hillsbourgh disaster the headline says it all
[I]a huge victory for The Sun.
Originally Posted by corbiesmum
[Torturers will face LIFE bans from keeping pets, doubled jail terms and £20,000 fines. .
That’s great if only they got that punishment it's all up to the judge/magistrate to had out punishments if it was guaranteed that they would get this it might stop a few but it won't stop it all.
(Even with capital punishment (in some countries)ppl still murder so this is no deterrent)
corbiesmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2005, 04:55 PM
If people don't want to support The Sun's campaign then maybe you can do something via the RSPCA - they want people to lobby their MP to replace the Protection of Animals Act 1911, which is incredibly out of date:

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Sate...=1127116722681

It may not stop the cruelty, but at least people will get increased punishments. If we don't do anything, then more animals will suffer.