Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixie_Carl
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-03-2017, 01:23 PM

Staffy Feeding

Trixie is about 21 Months old as we was told by the previous owner.

They said they was feeding her on dried food only so we have continued to put the dry food down for her, however she doesnt seem to be eating very much of it although she has been eating small amounts of it throughout the day.

Today I gave her a small webbox chub as a treat mixed in with her normal dried food and she ate it all.

Now I am wondering if the previous owners who have decided not to keep in contact with us were feeding her dry food with something mixed into it.

I really don't want to give her canned meat or webbox chubs as part of her diet if it can be helped as I know this is processed foods and we only bought her the webbox chubs for an occassional treat.

Is it safe to mix warm water in with her dried food and drain it and cool before giving it to her ?

Is there anything else we could maybe mix into her dried food to make it a bit more appetising for her ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

(Edit to add photo of trixie)
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	17410270_239709369766219_1688780586_n.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	5502  
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Yes it's safe to mix in warm water it's what most people do for puppies. Surely the dried food is processed too? There's nothing wrong with adding a bit of quality canned to make the dry more appetising. If you want to avoid processed maybe pop into pets at home and buy some frozen tripe to add to it.
Wheeler
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Why did the previous owner throw the dog away

Sounds rude, but I have never given up a dog, I would die first
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

26-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Rehoming is not throwing away!
I've never given up a dog either but why pick on the person who stepped up and offered a home?
Wheeler
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-03-2017, 01:41 PM
The person who adopted the dog rehomed an animal, the previous owner threw the dog away. Sad but it happens, and you did not answer the question
Trixie_Carl
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-03-2017, 01:44 PM
The reason they rehomed her was due to her not getting on with her other dogs but I was amazed as when I arrived to see Trixie with her previous owners, she was in the same room as the owners Border collie (5 years older than trixie) they both seemed to get on very well sat next to each other taking treats from the previous owner and both coming for attention from myself and my partner etc and when we are out walking with trixie she doesnt bother with other dogs that we come across.

I didnt realise dried dog food was processed learn something new everyday, I always believed dried dog food was better than the tinned as throughout my childhood and as an adult I have always fed dogs I have owned on dried food.

I will try her with some quality canned food and will also get her some frozen tripe to try her with that too she which she prefers.
Wheeler
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-03-2017, 01:49 PM
So she attacked other dogs........................Thanks
Trixie_Carl
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-03-2017, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
So she attacked other dogs........................Thanks
No I am not aware of her attacking other dogs and she certainly has not approached or attempted to approach another dog or even attack another dog while I have had her and our regular walks are where there are other dogs with their owners and not had any problems so far.

The previous owners never said that she had attacked other dogs, just that she didnt get on with her Border Collie and smaller dog that they had.

If she had attacked any other dogs I certainly wouldnt of taken her in.
Wheeler
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-03-2017, 02:13 PM
The previous owner gave up the dog because she was afraid of the border collies life........................

Are you adopting a border collie now?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

26-03-2017, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
The previous owner gave up the dog because she was afraid of the border collies life........................

Are you adopting a border collie now?
Seriously why are you such an ar$e?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >