Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mfureigh
New Member!
Female 

13-02-2017, 12:16 AM

American bully, pregnant?

So we got this sweet baby middle of January she started her heat within a few days of coming to us.
We went out got a crate (she hated it) doggy diapers everything to prevent a surprise litter.
Well,She escaped her crate one day while we were out,she was left unattended with my male bulldog all day.
They were kept separate the rest of the time.
Well now I've noticed her tatas look swollen and fatty around them
She's also not eating like usual.
She eating much less than normal.
What sighs should I be looking for?
if she is pregnant should she be on a special diet?
How soon until I can tell for sure if she is pregnant?
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-02-10-18-11-50.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	5434  
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-02-2017, 08:09 AM
So you know the exact date they mated?
Why did you not speak to your vet straight away?
They could have had the Alizin jab to ensure no Puppies best after day 20 I believe.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

13-02-2017, 10:04 AM
As above, but also when was this, how long ago did they mate..... if it was only days or a week ago I doubt you would be seeing signs of pregnancy yet, if it was weeks ago then yes, she could be pregnant, I would have the vet check he rover as they can also suffer pyometra after a heat cycle so best be safe than sorry.
mfureigh
New Member!
Female 

14-02-2017, 06:53 AM
I called my vets office the next day they offered to set a spay appointment, didn't even mention a shot.
She's going to the vet Friday so I hope they will be able to tell me for
Sure.
She got loose jan 25, would it be to soon to tell?
I've always had male dogs so this is all new for us.
Thanks!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

14-02-2017, 09:37 AM
About 20 days by my calculation so she can have the jab, ask your vet about it, it may be called something else in the US but it will be available. It's fairly cheap and I think she needs two a week apart.

I correct myself it's two jabs 24 hours apart.
Oldgal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-02-2017, 08:53 AM
Several things come to mind here.
I am not surprised she did not like the crate. It sounds as if you did no preparation to crate-train her whatsoever. You needed to get her used to a crate from the day she came home by putting her in for a few minutes at a time and giving her toys and food in there to make it fun. Not just shutting her in suddenly and and going out for the day!

If you have an uncastrated male in the house, and you go and buy a female, surely it must have occurred to you she would come in season one day? Why wait till that happens to go get a crate? Or you could at least have had the male castrated before she came into season?

I also don't see how she could open the crate door from the inside and escape?
And if you don't mind me saying, it really is not a good idea to leave any dog (let alone a puppy) shut in a crate all day long either. How can she even go to the toilet?

If this was her first season, she is probably still just a puppy, so she could well have a difficult birth if the male was a large dog, she hasn't even finished growing and developing yet. You could liken it to an human child of about 8 trying to give birth!
Also, the bull breeds are known to have very broad heads and a narrow pelvis, which can easily create problems at whelping.

If you both work, who will help her with her litter, and be there to feed and wean the puppies later? They will need at least 5 tiny meals a day and cleaning out dozens of times during the day.

What a pity you didn't take her to the vet straight away. If she is pregnant, I strongly advise you to get a good breed-specific book on pregnancy and whelping, so you know what to expect, what signs to look for if the birth is going to be difficult, how to feed her and how to wean a litter - let alone their paperwork, pedigrees, registrations, diet sheets, and finding excellent homes for them later.

You have a lot of work to do and not very long to get organised. If she is pregnant, you have just 63 days to get totally organised, for her and the puppies sakes.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

16-02-2017, 10:32 AM
You have time to sort this if you go to the vet now.
mfureigh
New Member!
Female 

18-02-2017, 05:18 AM
Hey y'all thanks for the concern, sorry it took so long to update.
I took her on Wednesday she is not pregnant, and she's doing great, eating and playful as usual.
Shes 2 years old we got her from a friend they told us she did well in a crate, personally I don't like to use them but she went in heat soon after I got her, we took her to the vet, I went out bought the biggest crate I could find and a bunch of doggy diapers.
The next day it happened I called my vet they didnt seem concerned but did offer to set a spay appointment.
Id like them to have a litter before I have them fixed, but not so soon especially since she's still so young and I have alot to learn before we go down that road.
I work from home so they are left unattended rarely, and most of the time our dogs go with us when we go out.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

18-02-2017, 09:14 AM
Why on earth would you want them to have a litter, are there not enough unwanted dogs in the world already?
mfureigh
New Member!
Female 

18-02-2017, 03:21 PM
I completely agree with you on that we are constantly volunteering at our local rescues centers, animal shelters, and adoption events. the number of unwanted animals is absolutely heartbreaking.
The only reason Ive even considered breeding them one time is they are both amazing dogs, id love to have one of their pups.
I'm definitely getting her spayed after their first litter but
We are both very blessed to have very large families, all animal lovers. especially bullys , several of them including my mom, my husbands mom, my husbands sweet auntie, 2 of my sister's plus a few brothers from both sides and close friends have all told us how much they want a puppy from our big guy.
Im definitely not worried about finding proper homes if it ever does happen, and I know how much it would mean to our friends and family.
Especially since the last few years some have lost some very beloved dogs.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >