Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-01-2014, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Just wondering - do you get any aches and pains?
  1. When did they start?
  2. How often do you get them?
  3. Are they becoming more frequent as you get older?
Yes

1 - When I fell down 22 stone steps and broke my neck and my back [thanks to the landing light having packed up and not replaced and a therefore unseen ice-cream wrapper which had been dropped at the top of the stairs ]

2 - When do I not is more the answer!

3 - At nearly 72 I would not expect anything else!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2014, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The hip I had replaced in 2002 is wonderful, never had any problems with it, in fact 10 weeks after it was done I was dancing on New Year's Eve

I use Cortaflex for my arthritis, I find it does help me but does take time to build up in your body. I know others who take it and all recommend it.
I will look that up - ta.

Regarding age - it would seem about half of all elderly people develop arthritis in their joints - some never do.

In Torbay I had a yoga teacher (world class and travelled the world attending all sorts of yoga seminars) who was in her seventies and more flexible and sprightly than I was when I was 21!

The most striking thing about this lady was the life in her face and the light in her eyes.

Obviously permanent spinal damage from injury or accident is not going to just 'go away'. But Azz is talking here about general 'aches and pains' generally associated with age related arthritis. Some forms of non rheumatoid arthritis do not get much worse, or at least the pain lessens with time.

http://www.arthritis.org/about-us/myths/

Many people with serious types of arthritis, which were severely disabling as recently as a generation ago, are now leading full and productive lives, thanks in part to many developments, including new drugs and treatments, exercise programs, surgeries and self-management. As a person with arthritis, your future is full of possibilities that were only a dream 25 years ago.

One of the most exciting changes in recent years has been the growing understanding that the patient has an important role to play in the management of his or her arthritis.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Dunno what is happening here - one minute post disappeared and the next it appeared twice lol!

The wonderful osteopath I see for my problems (and who uses a mix of osteo, chiro and ultrasound) places heavy emphasis on 'helping yourself'. And that's worked well for me and she says she has never known a patient 'respond so well to treatment' as I do and attributes it to my slavishly following her advice re stretches and what and what not to do. (at €40 a throw I am interested in keeping the visits to a minimum!)

She also never recommends or tries to sell any equipment or aids to help, telling you how you can make your own using rolled up towels, long scarves, tins of beans for weights and frozen peas for ice packs and all sorts!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
...[snip]...
Obviously permanent spinal damage from injury or accident is not going to just 'go away'. But Azz is talking here about general 'aches and pains' generally associated with age related arthritis.
I know that - but I just answered his basic questions.

If you would have preferred I listed my age-related "aches and pains" then it would have taken all day, so I did not bother.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-01-2014, 11:17 AM
I should technically not have to write here but at the tender age of 28 I've developed several aches and pains to which the doctors seem to have no answer.

1. When did they start?
Since I can remember I've had recurring pains in my hands. At the age of 16 I started having hip pains when walking long distances. Oh and every now and then the periosteum on a vertebrae in my lower back gets squeezed between the two bones, which puts my body into an awkward 90degree angle of which I only manage to get out after painkillers have started working. In the last few years I started having what I think must me costochondritis (when your sternum hurts so much you think you have a heart attack)

2. How often:
Since I stopped working at the hotel my hips are so much better. I still get it though, even though the x-rays showed 'nothing abnormal'. I feel my hands nearly every day which is quite annoying but I've just got used to it. It's worse in cold weather. Getting 'stuck' in my back happens once or twice a year.

3. Are they more frequent as I get older:
Not the hands or the back, but the hips. And the general stiffness I have if I've been in the same position for a while.

I've given up with the doctors for now, they haven't been much help so far. I'm looking into getting fitter and eating more healthy foods to help my body out.

Tang, I'd be interested to know which foods you found out to be helpful or bad for your joints!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2014, 07:44 PM
Yes and yes.😞 Since I started my dog walking business I have developed plantar fasciitis in my right foot which is very painful and making my job a lot less pleasurable. It's my own fault really because after years of dawdling along with the girls I seized the opportunity to walk at a good pace and forgot I didn't really have the best shoes for it. I've since bought walking boots but the damage has been done. I have high arches and have had heel splints before. So after four months I got to the doctor and am seeing a podiatrist at the beginning of February. Hopefully they will fit me with an insole for my shoes and I'll be raring to go again.

I had both my carpal tunnels released last year and the operation was amazing and has cured all my related symptoms, but if I over do it I can get pains in my hands.

For the past year I wake up every morning with all the muscles in my back spasming ....but today my 3 inch memory foam mattress topper has arrived and I'm full of hope that that will resolve the issue.

Ooooo I don't usually moan about medical things but that was quite liberating! Lol!

All in all I consider myself exceptionally lucky to only have a very few, and hopefully temporary, moans and groans adm am very thankful for that.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Yes and yes.😞 Since I started my dog walking business I have developed plantar fasciitis in my right foot which is very painful and making my job a lot less pleasurable. It's my own fault really because after years of dawdling along with the girls I seized the opportunity to walk at a good pace and forgot I didn't really have the best shoes for it. I've since bought walking boots but the damage has been done. I have high arches and have had heel splints before. So after four months I got to the doctor and am seeing a podiatrist at the beginning of February. Hopefully they will fit me with an insole for my shoes and I'll be raring to go again.

I had both my carpal tunnels released last year and the operation was amazing and has cured all my related symptoms, but if I over do it I can get pains in my hands.

For the past year I wake up every morning with all the muscles in my back spasming ....but today my 3 inch memory foam mattress topper has arrived and I'm full of hope that that will resolve the issue.

Ooooo I don't usually moan about medical things but that was quite liberating! Lol!

All in all I consider myself exceptionally lucky to only have a very few, and hopefully temporary, moans and groans adm am very thankful for that.
Catrina I am so tempted to buy one of those but ... read so many reports from elderly people who moved to Cyprus and bought the MF mattresses only to find they were unbearably hot and sweaty in the neverending summer!

I saw a duckdown quilted mattress topper last week. Am thinking of one of those now!

One thing I know for certain is that, the longer I stay in bed, the worse the aches are in the morning. I've survived on about 5-6 hours sleep most of my life but have made a determined effort this past 6 months or so to get to bed earlier even if I end up watching movies for hours. I pay for it in the morning if I spend 8 hrs in bed.

What I am currently doing is - if I doze off and wake up, instead of staying in bed - I get up and walk about for a bit and maybe get a drink or wander outside or waddever. Then, even if I go back to bed, I am not PRONE for 8 hrs or more. That seems to have worked well. After only 5 hrs or so in bed I can get up and move about no problems. But then I've been told MUSCLES LIKE MOVING!

As for the diet - I will report back when I've stuck to it for a while.

As a sop to the diet tonight I am using Sour Black Cherry Juice as a mixer in my drinkie lol! Miracle stuff that is!
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Regarding age - it would seem about half of all elderly people develop arthritis in their joints - some never do.
I think I qualify for being classed as elderly, Like Malka I am nearly 72 but how we live our lives has a big baring on our joints when we are older.

In Torbay I had a yoga teacher (world class and travelled the world attending all sorts of yoga seminars) who was in her seventies and more flexible and sprightly than I was when I was 21!

The most striking thing about this lady was the life in her face and the light in her eyes.
I used to do yoga and even now I can still touch my toes without bending my knees even though I am having so much trouble with one of my hips.

Obviously permanent spinal damage from injury or accident is not going to just 'go away'. But Azz is talking here about general 'aches and pains' generally associated with age related arthritis. Some forms of non rheumatoid arthritis do not get much worse, or at least the pain lessens with time.

http://www.arthritis.org/about-us/myths/
The only way arthritis goes away is if the joint is replaced and if it is in the spine very little can be done, also damage to the joints or spine can lead to arthritis. It was damage to my left hip that brought on arthritis and had to have that hip replaced in 2002, usually the other goes within a year or 2 or 3 but 12 years between them is unusual.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2014, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I think I qualify for being classed as elderly, Like Malka I am nearly 72 but how we live our lives has a big baring on our joints when we are older.

I used to do yoga and even now I can still touch my toes without bending my knees even though I am having so much trouble with one of my hips.

The only way arthritis goes away is if the joint is replaced and if it is in the spine very little can be done, also damage to the joints or spine can lead to arthritis. It was damage to my left hip that brought on arthritis and had to have that hip replaced in 2002, usually the other goes within a year or 2 or 3 but 12 years between them is unusual.
Agree with all of that Mattie. My first bout of arthritis was with Poly Arthritis (all joints flaring up at once) but it did go away. They said it can be triggered by something as trivial as an upper respiratory infection?

The Sciatica I suffered from for years went away too. But then I believe there is some 'natural fusing' of spinal bones that takes place as you age (bit like the stuff they do when they fuse them together for younger people?)

Wear and tear damage to joints and ligaments cannot be 'undone' or reversed. You might be able to halt or hinder the progression of it.

Like you - I prefer to stay 'positive' and in the famous words of Python 'always look on the bright side of life'!

One thing I can say for definite is all my aches and pains are worse when I've been back in damp cold UK for a few weeks. And all recede a lot when back in the warm dry sunshine.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2014, 08:19 PM
Catrina I am so tempted to buy one of those but ... read so many reports from elderly people who moved to Cyprus and bought the MF mattresses only to find they were unbearably hot and sweaty in the neverending summer!

I saw a duckdown quilted mattress topper last week. Am thinking of one of those now!

One thing I know for certain is that, the longer I stay in bed, the worse the aches are in the morning. I've survived on about 5-6 hours sleep most of my life but have made a determined effort this past 6 months or so to get to bed earlier even if I end up watching movies for hours. I pay for it in the morning if I spend 8 hrs in bed.

What I am currently doing is - if I doze off and wake up, instead of staying in bed - I get up and walk about for a bit and maybe get a drink or wander outside or waddever. Then, even if I go back to bed, I am not PRONE for 8 hrs or more. That seems to have worked well. After only 5 hrs or so in bed I can get up and move about no problems. But then I've been told MUSCLES LIKE MOVING!

As for the diet - I will report back when I've stuck to it for a while.

As a sop to the diet tonight I am using Sour Black Cherry Juice as a mixer in my drinkie lol! Miracle stuff that is!
I did read that they can be very hot to sleep on but I couldn't keep waking up like that. Often in the night I wake up realising I can't move so have to reach for the underside of the bed and hoike myself over. I Paul's not around in the morning the girls have learnt to dog their feet, fingers...anything,into my back to stop the muscles spasming.

I will see how I get on as I also need to get back to the doctors about my night, and morning, sweats and hot flushes and headaches! A bag of hormones! and then there's the prolapse......sorry male members.....so to speak!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >