Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2012, 05:26 PM

Filling up on raw!

Me and nana talking about raw again. (she prefers to feed "dog" food, preferably dry with a bit of wet mixed in)

She says the dogs do not get full up enough, and about an hot after eating they are looking for food...

My argument is they don't need any more food, they aren't losing weight and they aren't gaining any so in my eyes that's right.

Do any of you find your dogs looking for more food? Do you feed them more? I thought about altering it a bit, but then I don't want them putting weight on. Between my two and the pap of nana's they are getting through 2 lb of mince a day when they have two mince meals.

Just wanting your thoughts really as I'm bit unsure what to do. It doesn't bother me, I quite happily feed them what Yey need and that's that, but nana has made me think whether I'd eat something and what i would be like if I couldnt eat if I was hungry?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2012, 05:43 PM
I get this all the time off my parents, my dad in particular. Things like "is that all the dogs are getting?" but my argument is if it isnt enough, why have they all gained weight?!!

I do find they scrounge quite a bit and if they hear a packet rustle or a cupboard/fridge door open they are in like a shot but I dont give in and feed them anymore.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2012, 05:51 PM
I fed my lot today then set about being not lazy and defrosting tomorrows dinner (overnight) portioning it etc. Pennie had just eaten her little chunk things from natures menu and was climbing up my legs to get at what was on top of the freezer.

I think most dogs would gorge if given the chance.. in fact OH and I were on about this today as well. And I can tell you if I put a pigs head out on the garden - Louie, Benjie and Sadie would not stop and I would have to prick them with a pin to get rid of their tummies. I have to time how long they have it for and take them away from it.

Does Mylo not scrounge? Mine scrounge all the time..
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Pereg will try it on but so far I have been managing to ignore her scrounging - with great difficulty at times. Her food is weighed and she gets two pre-planned meals a day. On rare occasions she will scream the place down for a third meal, in which case she will get another, but very small meal.

Hopefully when she is weighed on Thursday she will have lost weight.

Given the chance I reckon she would eat until she burst!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2012, 06:12 PM
when they hear packets russling they think they are getting a treat, because they know they get a treat before bed or every other now and again..

mylo scrounges, but hes not my dog.. my dogs know when im eating they lie in their beds and let me eat..

i think nana's issue is they eat so quick that they look for more, so she thinks they are hungry.

i certainly know now after daph has had pups she will eat and eat and eat, so have to keep an eye on her anyway...
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2012, 06:20 PM
My mum's puppy was apparently scrounging for food a lot when first switched to raw. What I started doing (I used to portion up the meals for her) was buying a bag of mixed veg and a bag of green beans, roughly blended them and added nearly as much veg to meat in the daily portions. It stopped the scrounging instantly, and then over time I slowly put a bit less and a bit less veg in and her tummy must have adjusted to the smaller quantities, she still remainded satisfied even when the veg was completely dropped.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
My mum's puppy was apparently scrounging for food a lot when first switched to raw. What I started doing (I used to portion up the meals for her) was buying a bag of mixed veg and a bag of green beans, roughly blended them and added nearly as much veg to meat in the daily portions. It stopped the scrounging instantly, and then over time I slowly put a bit less and a bit less veg in and her tummy must have adjusted to the smaller quantities, she still remainded satisfied even when the veg was completely dropped.
doubt mine will eat the veg, but cheers for the tip, its certainly worth a try!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Luckily Pereg lurves her veggies!
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Mine know when they've had their meals they don't get another 'meal'.
They do have veggies, other treats if I'm training or a chew at other times but they aren't set times.
To be honest the only things they bother me for is veggies when I'm sorting them for the bunnies.

Teg will sometimes look for more food immediately after if he has had just mince, I presume because it is gone so quickly. Could you not make their food last longer somehow (frozen in a kong maybe) so they're 'eating' for longer so they think they're more full?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Tegs_mum View Post
Mine know when they've had their meals they don't get another 'meal'.
They do have veggies, other treats if I'm training or a chew at other times but they aren't set times.
To be honest the only things they bother me for is veggies when I'm sorting them for the bunnies.

Teg will sometimes look for more food immediately after if he has had just mince, I presume because it is gone so quickly. Could you not make their food last longer somehow (frozen in a kong maybe) so they're 'eating' for longer so they think they're more full?
i need to buy kongs for them really, i keep saying i will but then never do but i have thought about feeding them that way, as they dont do it after they have bone meals and have to work on it to eat it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >